Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Optima Optima
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had occasional under load pinging since around 2k miles. I inquired about it at my first oil change and was advised it was a known issue use top tier gas. I have since switched to exclusively shell 89 octane gas and I still experience pinging under load randomly regardless of driving mode though it seems more prevalent on hills and in ECO mode.

I know have 17k miles and am wondering If I should bring this up again with the advisor or is this a known issue with a resolution?

I know this is not the direct injection injectors or pump and this is not a lifter noise either this sounds exactly like a metal marble tinking of all of my cylinder walls randomly. This happens at least a few times a week if not daily.

Possibly unrelated: I occasionally experience slow starts where it takes multiple revolutions for the engine to start with once or twice requiring two attempts to start it is very rare and impossible to reproduce which is why I haven't brought it in for that issue. Is there any known resolution for that either.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima ex
60 Posts
Top tier fuel is a higher level of detergent. Should have noting to do with pinging. Pinging cause by too low octane or bad timing.

·
Registered
16 Optima Optima
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was pretty unsure that was the solution but wasn’t inclined to argue with him. So am I understanding that even mid grade 89 octane is too low for my Kia? I’ll need to budget for 93 going forward?

could anything else be playing a role in my issue or am I just a cheapskate

·
Registered
16 Optima Optima
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my assumption. Though I am unsure how to resolve my issue otherwise. I may take another trip to the dealer because in the long run won’t regular pinging weaken my internals?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,216 Posts
Difficult to believe that one ever has spark knock on these engines, let alone with 89 octane, and even in eco mode. To me it would be more of a vibration, e.g. exhaust heat shield.

·
Registered
16 Optima Optima
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could be right I’ll have to look into that although it sounds like no vibration I’ve ever heard. It also is engine speed dependent and the motor seems to bog a bit while it’s doing it between all of that and the metal tinking sound like bb’s in a tin can I assumed it’s pinging.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My 2 cents on your pinging: Have the dealer check it out. It can also be caused by a clogged fuel injector. A lean condition will cause severe pinging. You don't want to damage your engine...play it safe.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Optima Optima
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I’ll probably schedule another service visit with the dealer last time they didn’t even pull the car in the advisor told me to use top tier gas and sent me on my way. So hopefully I don’t have to push to have a different experience.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,216 Posts
As stated above, top tier fuel has nothing to do with octane rating.
Next time you need gas, down to empty and put $20, depending on availability in your area, of 93 or 91 octane in to see if the same results.

·
Registered
16 Optima Optima
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like at least for the time being shell 93 has resolved my issue I’ll have to drive it more to find out.

Although it blows my mind Kia would sell a car that is listed for regular but will ping regularly without premium.

Sounds like an additional cost just to ensure there is no damage to the motor I wonder why they wouldn’t disclose that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have used only 87 octane gas and have not heard any pinging from my engine.

I still think you should have it checked. Maybe the antiknock sensor isn't working, maybe it's a dirty injector, maybe etc, etc, etc. Best to be safe.

·
Registered
16 Optima Optima
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea my next service isn’t too far off so I will have to bring that concern up because it’s bizarre to me why some would have that issue and others wouldn’t.

I was reading the forum and kept seeing something related to cylinder two issues or piston issues on cylinder 2 for 2016 is that only the turbo motor or 2.4l as well?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,216 Posts
Normally when there is misfire in any cylinder, the cel would light.
Dealer should check all running parameters while driving the vehicle to ensure they are within acceptable range. Should be easily done with the equipment available to the dealer, plug in and drive.

·
Registered
16 Optima Optima
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I figured as much which is why I asked the question to see if there was a known flash or similar and of course I was worried about internal issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had occasional under load pinging since around 2k miles. I inquired about it at my first oil change and was advised it was a known issue use top tier gas. I have since switched to exclusively shell 89 octane gas and I still experience pinging under load randomly regardless of driving mode though it seems more prevalent on hills and in ECO mode.

I know have 17k miles and am wondering If I should bring this up again with the advisor or is this a known issue with a resolution?

I know this is not the direct injection injectors or pump and this is not a lifter noise either this sounds exactly like a metal marble tinking of all of my cylinder walls randomly. This happens at least a few times a week if not daily.

Possibly unrelated: I occasionally experience slow starts where it takes multiple revolutions for the engine to start with once or twice requiring two attempts to start it is very rare and impossible to reproduce which is why I haven't brought it in for that issue. Is there any known resolution for that either.

Thank you for your help.
My 2016 does the same thing. Did you ever find a solution??

·
Registered
2 Posts
So what I am understanding is either higher octane gas, problem with injectors, and computer issues, oh and oil filter. That's a lot of things. Has anyone narrowed it down?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Low octance fuel coupled with lugging the engine (eco mode) increases the chance of detonation. A top tier fuel has more cleaning agents (PEA) the only way to decrease pinging is to use a higheroctane from a reputable supplier. I never use eco mode and the one time I used 89 my 2.0T ran terrible. So use 91 or better and dont use eco unless you areon the highway in a steady cruise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts