Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2019 optima lx is averaging 14 mpg over a couple days totaling 30 miles.

iirc, I usually get around 18 tops.
I ask because lately I am shocked by how fast I go through a full tank.
Is it normal to get 13-18 mpg on a car that lists 24 city/35 highway?

·
Being awesome every day!
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
3,199 Posts
What kinda driving you do? When I had my 12 Optima LX that thing was pretty good. Would get 30's on highway all day. It's most likely your driving but mechanical could be a t fault. Tires inflated? Air filter clean? Oil changes up to date? Use your handbrake much? Might be frozen on. When you coast does it act like normal or slow down pretty quickly? Take it on the highway, set it to 70, and re-set mileage calculator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kinda driving you do? When I had my 12 Optima LX that thing was pretty good. Would get 30's on highway all day. It's most likely your driving but mechanical could be a t fault. Tires inflated? Air filter clean? Oil changes up to date? Use your handbrake much? Might be frozen on. When you coast does it act like normal or slow down pretty quickly? Take it on the highway, set it to 70, and re-set mileage calculator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just had an oil change a month ago. Tires inflated. Not sure on air filter.
I’m driving city. Very city. Ac is always jacked in Miami. But 13? That is crap. It ember getting 18. Maybe because this is only over a 25 mile trip.

·
Being awesome every day!
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
3,199 Posts
Then the problem is you my friend. Take the car on the highway. Let it breather for a little. Track your highway mileage and see if it's ok. Just cruise at 70. If you can get it over 30 highway then city mileage can be attributed to you.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Another thing to look at during city driving is, how are your RPMs?

You can drive like a grandma, so when you pull away from a light you keep your RPMs under 2000 from one light to the next. Or you can drive like a teen, and blast your RPMs to 6000 from one light to the next. The first driving style will give you 24 mpg, the second will give you 15 mpg.

So where are your RPMs most of the time? Take a look every now and then, when you accelerate, cruise, and stop/go.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
595 Posts
I would add to RPM's (ie) light/heavy foot ... the Number of Red Lights you encounter.
Cool weather here helps, too, and I expect summer heat to reduce MPG, BUT at fill-up I just measured 24.8 mpg (2.0T) BECAUSE I've been having long stretches with minimal lights AND I'm an Easy driver.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts

That's a ridiculous test, 30 miles. I got gas yeaterday in the '11 2.0T and on the way home checked the avg mileage, 11.3 mpg 26 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just returned from a trip from California to Idaho and got 39.3 mpg. I was in economy mode 80 percent of the time. 20 percent in sport mode. "passing cars and trucks. "

1 - 9 of 9 Posts