Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 Kia Optima. I bought used and it already had HIDs installed when I got it for the low beams and fog lights. I know the low beams do have projectors but I’m curious does the 2013 EX come stock with HIDS or does it use regular H11b halogens and the projectors are more just for “looks” but can accommodate HIDs without blinding others due to the built in low beam projectors? I’m planning on bringing my headlights in for warranty soon and will need to swap back to whatever type and size the stock bulb is so hoping to find that out as well as what the correct bulb size is when running HIDs (h11a vs H11b) I’ve seen so many mixed answers.

For the past few years ive been running morimoto 35w Xb HIDs that are H11b in size but Some people have told me that’s not the correct bulb and that the return wire will cast a shadow and therefore I should be running h11a’s on my vehicle? Can anyone give me a straight answer and does it really make a huge difference in the light output when running the h11bs instead of h11a? If so I’ll swap them out ASAP since I’ve noticed not so great light output as of lately. I’ve always used H11b HIDs for the low beams as that’s what I was told the 13 EX requires and that’s what was installed when I bought the car. If it’s incorrect maybe it will fix my issue with the low beams not projecting as good as they did when I first bought the car.

Any help is much appreciated !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you saying that’s what comes stock as halogens on my car ? Or that’s the correct HID size ? On the k5 optima store they list this under there hid bulbs so it has me confused..

Important Information:

H11A vs. H11B? This is important to ensure you don't create a shadow in your light output! We can confirm that all Kia Optima models 2011-2013 require the H11A bulbs (regardless of what stock size states)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Did you have to make a new thread? Lol
I answered your questions here:

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
29,219 Posts
This is super simple, and I am not here to debate with anyone who may not be informed properly.

If your vehicle came with halogens from the factory, the correct bulb size is 100% H11B.

However, when converting the vehicle over from halogen, to installing an aftermarket HID kit, you will want to use H11A.

Just like it states on our website (which I will share below) you need the opposite to avoid the return wire from casting a shadown in the beams.

It's super simple really, if you are converting over to HIDs, use the H11A, otherwise if sticking to halogens, use H11B.

The whole reason they created the H11(A) bulb type was to avoid this from happening when customers convert over to HID from halogen.

Here you go, this should clear up any confusion and educate anyone who doubts what they might have heard regarding this.

(P.S. The YouTube video was filmed several years ago, before the started calling the "standard H11" an "H11A" bulb)

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
29,219 Posts
On the k5 optima store they list this under there hid bulbs so it has me confused.
Why not trust the information provided from a reputable vendor on the platform that has been here and been doing this now for nearly 10 years?

It woult not make sense for us as a sponsor of the forum, and one of the largest vendors of the platform, to provide inaccurate or incorrect information to our customers.

That would only be counterproductive for us and cost us money after having to replace the parts, assuming we were giving out the incorrect information to our buyers..

#justsaying

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m not - not trusting you - honestly just trying to get some clarification because I’ve seen so many mixed answers and it’s been bothering me not knowing for sure. Your site is the one site that I’ve seen saying the opposite of others such as morimoto who is adamant about telling me my vehicle takes a h11b when ordering HIDs from them. I’ve ordered from another site as well in the past years and they also told me h11b is what I needed when converting to HIDS. And even when I bought my car they had HIDs already installed that were also h11b in size.

With that said - I’m now going to switch over to h11a after reading your comment and watching the videos , it does make sense. All these years I’ve been running the h11b’s and I’m wondering how much it’s effected the poor light output I’ve been experiencing. I’m hoping once I make the switch I’ll notice a difference. I appreciate your help.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
29,219 Posts
I’m not - not trusting you - honestly just trying to get some clarification because I’ve seen so many mixed answers and it’s been bothering me not knowing for sure. Your site is the one site that I’ve seen saying the opposite of others such as morimoto who is adamant about telling me my vehicle takes a h11b when ordering HIDs from them. I’ve ordered from another site as well in the past years and they also told me h11b is what I needed when converting to HIDS. And even when I bought my car they had HIDs already installed that were also h11b in size.

With that said - I’m now going to switch over to h11a after reading your comment and watching the videos , it does make sense. All these years I’ve been running the h11b’s and I’m wondering how much it’s effected the poor light output I’ve been experiencing. I’m hoping once I make the switch I’ll notice a difference. I appreciate your help.
Thank you for your response, and it’s very odd that you are saying that Morimoto told you something different, as that is just the particular line of lighting that The Retrofit Source sells. There isn’t a company called Morimoto or a. telephone line that you can contact them to ask that, just the manufacturer themselves, (TRS) which are the ones that made the video I posted above, showing the opposite of what you said they are stating.

You’re very welcome and I hope after swapping to the other bulbs, you’ll notice a difference in light output and quality. Definitely let us know. also, if you need a link, you can find the bulbs on our website here: Morimoto H Series- HID Bulbs Only - K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your response, and it’s very odd that you are saying that Morimoto told you something different, as that is just the particular line of lighting that The Retrofit Source sells. There isn’t a company called Morimoto or a. telephone line that you can contact them to ask that, just the manufacturer themselves, (TRS) which are the ones that made the video I posted above, showing the opposite of what you said they are stating.

You’re very welcome and I hope after swapping to the other bulbs, you’ll notice a difference in light output and quality. Definitely let us know. also, if you need a link, you can find the bulbs on our website here: Morimoto H Series- HID Bulbs Only - K5 Optima Store
I’m not sure what you mean that there isn’t a company called morimoto or a place to contact them? I’ve talked to them directly through there Facebook page “morimoto lighting” and exchanged many messages with them. I did originally buy the lights from the retrofit source though. They have also told me h11b is what I should order. Hence why I’ve been so confused and looking for clarity. I’m ordering the h11a’s tomorow and excited to hopefully see the difference with the correct bulbs installed.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
29,219 Posts
I’m not sure what you mean that there isn’t a company called morimoto or a place to contact them? I’ve talked to them directly through there Facebook page “morimoto lighting” and exchanged many messages with them. I did originally buy the lights from the retrofit source though. They have also told me h11b is what I should order. Hence why I’ve been so confused and looking for clarity. I’m ordering the h11a’s tomorow and excited to hopefully see the difference with the correct bulbs installed.
It’s really simple, you’re talking to The Retrofit Source the entire time, if they’ve created a page for their brand of lighting, that seems a bit odd, but it wouldn’t surprise me. At the end of the day, I meant exactly what I said, there isn’t an actual separate company called Morimoto, it doesn’t exist, if you check all of the address information and everything it just goes right to the retrofit source.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts