Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Has anyone with a US manufactured Optima tried to get coverage for this issue?

The language says the following:
"2011-2013 MY Optima and Optima Hybrid vehicles manufactured in Korea"

I think it means that all vehicles must be manufactured in Korea.

Can anyone post a photograph of what the degraded reflectors look like? I haven't inspected mine yet, but I want to have an idea what the problem looks like before I inspect.

My situation is slight overall dimming, so I'm not sure if I have this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone with a US manufactured Optima tried to get coverage for this issue?

The language says the following:
"2011-2013 MY Optima and Optima Hybrid vehicles manufactured in Korea"

I think it means that all vehicles must be manufactured in Korea.

Can anyone post a photograph of what the degraded reflectors look like? I haven't inspected mine yet, but I want to have an idea what the problem looks like before I inspect.

My situation is slight overall dimming, so I'm not sure if I have this issue.

I had new headlight housings installed under warranty about a year ago. Initially the dealer said the dim headlights were a result of a bad ground. About 1/2 hour later the service writer came and said they were replacing the housings under warranty. This was on a 2011 Optima.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check out the pics of my '13s HIDs, the output seems strong up close but at medium to far distances they are not really illuminating enough to help me, yeah I'm getting older but others have noticed it too. The lens are slightly glazed so dealer/Kia may say something about that.

But look at the attachment to the TSB. Compare my pics to the ones in that document which are an example of the problem, are they similar enough to argue the point they are just like the TSB, unsafe and should be replaced (under warranty) - what do you think, will it work?

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
In your pictures, what is making the little dots? Is that reflective chrome debris on the inside?

I'm wondering if there is a way to directly inspect the reflector surfaces behind the round lens, but I'm not sure if there is an easy way? I don't want to disassemble the headlight or risk introducing contaminants.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that is what I think. The outside was clean, all the specks are on inside.

I went to dealer today, they said no dice, VIN is not range. But they did say I could take it up directly with Kia, so that is next. The headlight visibility isn't impacted too much but enough to think for an HID, it should throw light just a little further, up close and medium range (10 car lengths) is OK, beyond that is fades quickly, on a dark road not much can be seen downroad, brights are OK if no oncoming traffic of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts