Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Optima EX just hit 103k miles and I have never done the trans fluid. Should I drain out the old fluid or just leave it alone at this point?

·
Registered
2012 KIA OPTIMA
268 Posts
I had it done at 60k miles at the dealer, they have a machine to drain out 90% of the old fluid.
I am putting it on sale because I bought a Tesla

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,469 Posts
If you do it yourself, you'll have to do multiple times as a lot of fluid stays in the transmission. If you take it to a dealer, they use a suction device that removes the bulk of it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,586 Posts
Question: has anyone used their own hand pump/siphon/hose system to suck out the old fluid?

I have one of those cheap rubber ball/bulb things with clear hoses. It's meant for gasoline, but I wonder if I could use it to remove the trans fluid?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,107 Posts
Probably could work although not any easy area to access, but why not just undo the drain plug?
First remove the inspection plug to make certain you can get it loose, then dump the fluid. I filled it through the inspection hole, drove it around and rechecked, slightly overfilled, so let it drain to level, then good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts