Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a positive note here for a change. Finished up the 100k oil change and bottom inspection, all is well and surprisingly clean.

Thinking back on my previous sedan, a 2005 vw passat tdi, I had done so many more things by this point that I was beginning to want to get rid of it. Unnecessary things like converting the balance shaft drive from chain to gear driven, a few CV boot replacements, and maintenance things like the timing chain, water pump, etc.. I had to buy several special tools and a repair cd and become a bit of an expert on a few things. I kind of miss it for some reasons, but don't, for more.

This car has been pretty painless, knock of wood, not bearings, lol
So going on 10 years and doing just fine, thank you.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
97 Posts
Just a positive note here for a change. Finished up the 100k oil change and bottom inspection, all is well and surprisingly clean.

Thinking back on my previous sedan, a 2005 vw passat tdi, I had done so many more things by this point that I was beginning to want to get rid of it. Unnecessary things like converting the balance shaft drive from chain to gear driven, a few CV boot replacements, and maintenance things like the timing chain, water pump, etc.. I had to buy several special tools and a repair cd and become a bit of an expert on a few things. I kind of miss it for some reasons, but don't, for more.

I’m glad you’ve had good luck with the car it’s a great car! Sadly Mine is at 99k miles and had my engine blow once due to the recall at 80k miles and now my oil return line for my turbo is snapped idk how that could’ve happened but some have better luck than others lol

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
419 Posts

I didn't need to do much to my SX either until 100K. At that point though spark plugs, pcv valve, belt, trans and coolant drain and fill, every single steering and front suspension item needed to be replaced. stabilizer bushings/links, steering rack bushings were shot and can't get them separate so found a good used rack at a junkyard, inner/outer tie rods, control arm bushings were shot and ball joints. probably 1K in just parts but did it all myself dropping the K frame. Thinking back should've done strut mounts at least also while everything was pretty much out but slipped my mind.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've replaced the plugs twice, trans and coolant drain and fill once, but nothing on the steering/suspension yet. I have never been impressed with the steering, but what led you to do all that?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
419 Posts
I've replaced the plugs twice, trans and coolant drain and fill once, but nothing on the steering/suspension yet. I have never been impressed with the steering, but what led you to do all that?
Like you said I just wasn't impressed with the steering anymore with little play like it would pull/drift away a little over bumps while turning and noticed traction light coming on more often. once you tear into things you notice so much wrong. nothing was making any noises or anything but knew something had to be done about it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I was not impressed since day one...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I should see if anything calls for maintenance at 100k...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.