Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I dont have shell 93 available to me, I need to use petro canada ultra 94 which may contain up to 10% ethanol.
Is this enough to cause carbon build up?

·
Registered
2014 SXL
52 Posts
Ethanol doesn't cause carbon buildup. If you are referring to on the backsides of the intake valves...the only thing you can do to reduce future buildup is use a catch can on pcv side and valve cover vent side.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Because ethanol does not burn as cleanly as pure gasoline does, it tends to leave behind debris in the forms of gum and a “varnish” in the engine and carburetor. These build-ups can lead to the most expensive effects of ethanol. With excessive build-up, your engine can fail. While carbon does eventually build with the use of pure gasoline, the use of ethanol can greatly speed up the process."

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,638 Posts
Guess the 273 million cars on the road in the US could be in trouble, then add the 36 million in Canada.................

Some have gone to E85 for more power, but that requires tweaking of the fuel flow.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reason why I'm asking is, I want to see if it's worth using petro Canada ultra 94 with a tune or shell 91+ octane boosters.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,454 Posts
Pretty much most of our US based 93 octane gas Premium is up to 10% Ethanol. I run a Top Tier gas from Costco (also Shell, Exxon, etc.) which has more/better detergents in it. You really won't be able to make much use of it unless you have a tune (I run the LAP3USA Stage 1.5+ ECU tune, highly recommend it).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts