Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm the owner of Kia Optima SW 1.6 T-GDi DCT, 180hp, 2019 7-speed.

I'm noticing an issue with rough acceleration while the engine is running below the recommended working temperature (i.e. less than 85 °C).

At first, I need to say that I'm not trying to accelerate aggressively on a cool engine. It is a normal acceleration that is needed for driving in regular city traffic. The acceleration is weaker than if the engine is at working temperature. However, I can understand that - the power can be limited while the engine is not warmed up. What's an issue here is, when I reach 2800 rpm it feels like turbo kicks in and rpm jumps to ±4000, and the car start to accelerate more rapidly.

All of these can be seen in the video I've attached (it's happening in the 6th sec). Please notice, that car does not downshift when there is an "rpm spike" - it is still on the D5 gear. I'm also holding the gas pedal in the same position (about 1/3 of its range) the whole time.
Once the engine reaches the working temperature, everything is smooth and acceleration is linear in the whole range of rpm.

I have also visited a KIA service with this issue, but they did not find any faulty codes and said to me that it is a desired behavior of the engine. I just think that they cannot find the cause of it, and they had no motivation to solve issue like that.

Is there anybody who had a similar issue and figured it out?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,180 Posts
Probably not an engine problem.

Consider your transmission. It appears to be downshifting. The question is why is it downshifting?

Do you have a sport mode? maybe your car is set to sport mode, and so the engine is more aggressive in deciding to downshift. See if you can put the car in an ECO or normal mode, so it will wait longer before downshifting.

Another possibility is there is something wrong with a sensor related to the transmission. Sorry I'm not more familiar with your car, but on other Optimas, the issue was either a temperature sensor or this other part that is under the battery, I forget its name, but Kia redesigned it, and it's related to shifting

1 - 2 of 2 Posts