Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
itscoldoutdog
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, to mark my 1 year anniversary of breaking my laptop and losing lots of data that wasn't backed up (real smart...), in the past week or so i've been sorting and backing up. Figured might as well create a showroom thread for myself on what I have so far with my SX.... has no name. Just "sexy bada$$".

2011 Optima SX
Spicy Red
"Loaded" - Premium & Technology Packages
Born 3/29/2011
Purchased 8/5/2011

I want this 1st post to have a Before & (most recent, up-to-date) After shot. So here>

After purchase (and with 2.0 K badges)
:

And here is how she currently sits (kinda):

"and now the journey begins......"

·
itscoldoutdog
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
While car shopping I took a pic of every car I test drove. I had a good idea i was leaning to the Optima but trim (Ex and save? or, go all out for SX?) and color (titaium? black?...red??? really?) were big question marks.

Here's the pic of the car at the dealer lot.... I ended up signing for it 1 week later: (very happy with the red :banana: )

new car, post 1st hand wash and hand wax

look at that beautiful paint!

inside

·
itscoldoutdog
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1-2 weeks after owning, very first mods were upgrading the license plate lights and interior to LEDs by V-Led
before license plate lights

after license plate lights

before interior lights

after interior lights

next mod I can remember (Dec 2011) is K&N drop-in panel PLUS the Vent to Atmosphere mod which has a ridiculously long DIY thread on since then (who wouldve thought? lol)

this was followed by upgrading the horns to PIAA sport horns in Feb. 2012 (modded one of stock brackets to hold both, theres a DIY i did on this as well)
sorry for the bad pics, obviously didn't plan on officially documenting that process

also in February i bought Saikou Michi oil catch cans (PCV and IC sides)... can't find pics of the cans but here's what the PCV can caught in 1315 miles in March-April. Oil running: M1 0W-40.

next mini-mod in March was blacking out the chrome surround on the grille (see finished later, below) and later I blacked out the chrome side arcs the same way... here's my over-the-top prep work for the grille

·
itscoldoutdog
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
At this point in March, from what I can remember, the DRL-mod craze was about to kick in full force. I loved what EvilMechanic did a few months earlier by paint matching his surrounds so I took a dive and became I guess the 2nd to do so (Best decision...). I painted them myself with the color match paint from paintscratch.com

with front having new LEDs, the rear was begging for the led reflector mod (made possible thanks to crystalworks' DIY thread), done in beginning of April '12

FINALLY, again in the beginning of april (feb-april i was car crazy i guess... sorry GF...), I got the much need window tinting.
Scheduled an appointment in-line with a flight out of BWI and got tinted by Absolute Perfection. 30% Formula One Pinnacle Series (ceramic)

Also then slapped on black forum decals on each side, word..

·
itscoldoutdog
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
next in line (mid June '12) were wheels.
Since I knew long term I wanted dedicated summer tires and winter tires. I wanted to stay with 18" and not too wide. Car gets 60+ miles a day. Went with Enkei's new (at the time) Raijin model, 18" x 8" with 40et, hyper silver finish. They're not expensive, about 4 lbs less than the stock 18's, yet with higher strength rating, all thanks to MAT technology

Pics before the drop....

the drop was supposed to happen before the wheels but as the "older" members remember, Eibach delayed the SH!Ttttttttttttttt out of the Pro-Kit springs which I was on a pre-order for. Finally they arrived in early/mid July and went on ASAP.
Eibach Pro-Kit
Before

After

maybe my favorite shot to date :)

·
itscoldoutdog
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
^at that point I was pretty happy with the overall look.

Bought the Nameless Performance Front Strut Tower Bar as well as their Intake Pipe (with BOV pipe-let deleted for cleaner VTA install)...both powder coated wrinkle-black
Also painted the engine cover
Here's the only??? pic have currently of the engine bay. Its prior to finalizing the paint on the cover.. Need a dslr shot...:

this is the only two other pics of the engine cover I have right at this second...
left the "Y" and letters on the cover as black, painted the rest paint-matched Spicy Red

tape job:

Lol this next pic actually requires more explanation...
I pride myself as a good painter but everyone has their days.... I didn't want to wait to put the clear on any longer (already had been weeks since the black all over), so I sprayed the clear on. Problem is when you spray clear on a humid day, you get wants known as "blush" or blushing...
Whole thing immediately blushed, wasn't from over spraying the clear, just way too humid out, Whoops. Lol.
When this happens you have 2 options: 1) let it dry, then very fine wet sand it off and re-try the clear and/or color...or 2) use heat to raise moisture out ....

This is a pic of me using a heat gun on it, notice the difference between blush and heated? crazy huh. It came out so-so, but not up to my standards. It was a good save but I'll re-do it this spring probably...

some random shot around this timeframe, view after work walking up to her

again in July added a 5" Android player with mount to run Torque app via OBDII-bluetooth connection. Another DIY for that topic is out there too..Need to get dslr pics of that too:

example of favorite screen/"HUD" i drive 90% of time with.
Notice **** good tq and hp numbers, pretty confident in my weight setup so it's TQ calc and therefore HP calc accuracy has to be close. Usual peaks are 220-230's, btw..in-line with stock at-wheel values.

·
itscoldoutdog
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
End of September I purchased winter tires to get mounted on my (now spare) stock "luxury" 18" wheels.

Went with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3, stock sizing ...225/45/18

Then plastidipped the wheels with 2-3 coats black & 1 coat glossifier

Shots on car (w/ side vent & handle chrome blacked out with vinyl)

·
itscoldoutdog
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
October-ish installed 5000k temp LED switchbacks from V-Leds... Had yellow PIAA fog light bulbs for awhile..

Also put in iJDMtoy error free (no hyperflash with no extra resistors) 1156 amber LED bulbs

and Cree R5 backup projector-style LED bulbs

AND.... as a teaser for upgrading the stock HID bulbs, heres some of Osram CBI (5000k temp) D1S bulbs

Both above pics are with stock lens.

Besides the light spreading the whole area better even with no lens change, Color band at the cut off is very much improved compared to stock Phillips bulbs... nice blue, purple, cyan, even a little yellow/red.
With a clear aftermarket lens it'll be even sweeter with a more crisp/defined cutoff.

·
itscoldoutdog
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
2/28/2013 ...Had my camera on me and didnt want to go inside, just kinda sat there listening to Sirius radio, enjoying the car and decided to snap some pics.

Macro lens was on & all I had. Also I was losing light quick so I was a lil limited but ..Here's what came of it:

even took a few in mono/black&white

1 - 20 of 69 Posts