Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I lived in L.A. five years ago it seemed like every 5th car was a Lexus IS250. Now in Atlanta it seems like every 5th car is a Kia Optima. There are five in my apartment complex alone. I wanted to put off modding for a year so I'd have some appreciation for the OEM setup but I can't stand having a car just like so many others so mod time cannot wait.

I've already got 32% tint and Mud guards (I may still get another set painted to match). I have now ordered:
  • Lamin-X tail light tint (Gunsmoke)
  • K5 badges for hood/trunk
  • LED Rear Reflectors
  • CREE LED Fog Light Bulbs
  • 5500k HID Conversion Kit
  • DRLs W/Turn Signal LEDs
Next steps:
  • Plasti-dip the grill chrome (maybe a different grill just to change things even more)
  • 20mm GarageLine wheel spacers
  • Interior LEDs
  • passenger seat risers
  • KDM Dual Projector Headlights
  • Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser
  • Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers
  • Quad exhaust tips
  • maybe a trunk spoiler (still torn on whether it improves the look)
I doubt I will do many performance mods since the car is plenty fast for my rather pedestrian driving habits. I eventually want 18x8.5 rims but I doubt I'll switch until the car is paid off, unless these OEM wheels will fit on my Lexus LS400. I'd like to get rid of the stagger in that car since the wife is now driving it daily. I love Vossen CV4's but they don't come less than 20" and I don't want to give up that much rubber. Downtown Atlanta roads suck too much.

It's been raining for nearly two weeks so the first changes will start to go on once it dries up.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I got Satin black wrap on the grill chrome. I think it looks good. If I had been thinking I would have had them do the trim above the doors. I will probably get that done after New Year.

carbon fiber black on the fuel door. Also got carbon fiber wrap on the fuel door and mud guards.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lamin-X Gunsmoke tail light tint. As my friend used to say "She looks good from far but far from good." The long side wrap pieces are a SOB to get aligned well. I would almost advise someone to cut that long piece in two and do it in sections. I did not have the issue some reported with it not being enough to cover everything. If anything mine was just right plus it seems to stretch. I had to use the knife tool to slice out some overlap on the corners.

Again, had I been thinking I would not have done the bumper lights since those are soon to be replaced with LEDs......waste of material. I may eventually order another set and try again.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
RUNNING INSTALLED MOD LIST
32% Window tint
Mud guards
Lamin-X tail light tint (Gunsmoke)
K5 badges for hood/trunk
CREE LED Stage2 80 watt Fog Light Bulbs

Next steps:
5500k HID Conversion Kit
LED Rear Reflectors
Daytime Running Lights W/Turn Signal LEDs
20mm GarageLine wheel spacers

Having a hard time finding someone in Atlanta to install the HIDs. So far most places I've inquired either:

1. Haven't responded to emails
2. Wont' install parts they didn't sell
3. Have crazy labor rates

Anyone local want to help a fella out? :)

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dubbayoo's 2015 Optima SX Showroom

Daytime Running Lights W/ Optional Turn Signal LEDs

So upfront I've now got 5500k HID conversion kit, 80 watt CREE Stage 2 fogs and DRLs w/turns. The output is everything I hoped it would be. I can pretty much see into the next county.

32% Window tint
Mud guards
K5 badges for hood/trunk
Satin black wrap on grill
Carbon fiber wrap on fuel door
5500k HID Conversion Kit

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It looks very nice how it is. OEM rims looks great.
I do like them as far as OEM rims go, however to me Gunmetal rims just always look like they need washing. I actually prefer a Machined Silver finish.

What's odd to me is I have 18x8/18x9s on my '92 Lexus LS400 (which is a bigger car) and they look huge, however 18's on this car looks sorta small.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Next up:
Rear bumper LEDs (these are already on; just no pics)
Carbon fiber license plate frame
Stage 2 LED license plate bulbs

I just received some 20mm GarageLine wheel spacers. I also just ordered some MGP brake caliper coves with the K logo on them. They won't be here for two weeks so I'm going to hold off so I can install them together. That will be it for 2015.

2016 will hopefully see coilovers, Sickspeed horns, carbon fiber rear diffuser and possibly dual projector headlights.

I'm up in the air about wheels. I want to avoid a staggered setup for rotation/flat repair reasons. My thought would be to use spacers in the rear to simulate a staggered look. I would prefer to stay with 18x8.5 rim but nothing I want comes in that size. My short list is:
  • Axe EX23 18x8 Gunmetal 16-spoke
  • Konig Oversteer 18x8 18x* Opal
  • Konig Control 18x8 Silver
  • AXE EX16 Satin Black Brushed / Gloss Black Polished 19x 8.5 10-spoke
  • MRR GF6 19x8.5 Machined Silver or Brushed Finish 12-spoke
  • Euromag EM10 Silver/Machined 19x8.5 10-spoke
  • If I win the lottery I might go BC Forged HB29 18x8.5 9-spoke ($4,000/set)
I'm not willing to trade daily drive-ability for looks.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Installed the 20mm GarageLine spacers. I love the look. Unfortunately the MGP caliper covers did not fit. I think the ones I received were made for a model earlier than 2015. The clips would not extend far enough to securely reach the tightening screws.

You can also the K5 C-Pillar Quarter Glass Plates here.

32% Window tint
Mud guards
K5 badges for hood/trunk
Satin black wrap on grill
Carbon fiber wrap on fuel door
5500k HID Conversion Kit
LED Rear Reflectors
Seibon Carbon Fiber License Plate Frame
K5 C-Pillar Quarter Glass Plates
License Plate Stage 2 LED Bulb Set
Circle K wheel badges
20mm GarageLine wheel spacers

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I've had these wheels on the Lexus for a couple years. SSR Vienna 18x8/18x9. The wife drives the car now so as much as I love it I want to get her off a staggered setup for simplicity. I will take these off and put the stock 15's back on which would give her better gas mileage also.

I'm still a huge fan of this style of wheel. What I'm thinking about doing now is getting these re-finished then putting them on the Optima. I was really trying to stay away from staggered setups there too but since I want new rims and I like these already it might be worth a shot. I have dented (and repaired) one rim before so I would change away from the current 235/40ZR-18 Kumho tires to give myself more cushion; probably 235/45 in front and 255/40 in the back. These downtown ATL streets don't play.

I found a pic of somebody who Photoshopped a similar wheel onto an Optima. My car isn't dropped (yet) but I do like this look a lot.

Looking to add quad exhaust tips and debadge the back next week.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,567 Posts
Love the tips on that exhaust! :) You lower it yet?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not yet. Getting the refinished wheels back Friday. Still debating whether I want to put them on now or wait til I get new tires for them. If the wheels go on my spacers have to come off first since the rims are 8/9 width.

Carbon diffuser and the booty will be finished!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.