Kia Optima Forums banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima (Snow White Pearl)
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Been awhile but some updates! Got the prerequsite plugs and OCC installed, filled up with 93 and ready install the Uncle Chip this weekend! Just need to fab the box and get everything hooked up! Any tips? I've read that I'll need to touch the + and - battery cables together after this is installed?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Uncle Chip installed! Did a little fabrication on the box to fit the chip and then drilled a small hole across from the little LED so I can see if the chip is working without taking it out. Attached it to the side of the battery for now - turned out well imo.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Are you happy with it or haven't really played with it yet?
I installed everything on Sunday and took the car out immediately. What I noticed is that the car pulls a LOT harder and really seems to rev up faster all the way to 6000 RPM.

What I don't know though is if it's just more torque or HP gains I'm feeling. It seems to really pull at freeway speeds though - that's for sure. I do still sense a little hesitation when I gun it - not the instant throttle response as others are reporting. At a stop, I can spin the tires all the way through the 1st and 2nd gears - so that's pretty different as well. Sport mode is where it's at! The turbo seems louder as does the vent-to-atmosphere noise when I get off the gas. I am hearing more of a fluttering noise too since the installation of the chip - not sure if that's good or bad based on what I've read here. I'd be curious if others see the car revving up faster/higher than before - just seems different to me and not sure if that's expected? It's like it's working hard to rev up but the speedo isn't moving as fast as it should be in lower gears/speeds - unless it's just a placebo and now I'm looking at the dashboard more. :)

I'm running 93 octane from a little gas station, so once this tank is done I'm gonna hit up a Shell station with 93 to see if it's any different. I know the quality of gas does make a difference too, so we'll see if anything changes.

What I like is that when driving normally (or in ECO mode), the car feels completely normal. It's only when you get on it does the car turn into a beast. :)

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Nice, might pick one up soon. But im scared of my engine exploding. :cry:
I’ve seen quite a few members with new car and they still use the Lap 3 chip, the good thing about this is that you can easily take them off in less than 5 min. Dealer will never know you had this chip unlike tune car where the CAL id and ECU can be trace. I had this chip for a short period of time but I had fun with it during that time, I’d say go for it Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,457 Posts
I installed everything on Sunday and took the car out immediately. What I noticed is that the car pulls a LOT harder and really seems to rev up faster all the way to 6000 RPM.

What I don't know though is if it's just more torque or HP gains I'm feeling. It seems to really pull at freeway speeds though - that's for sure. I do still sense a little hesitation when I gun it - not the instant throttle response as others are reporting. At a stop, I can spin the tires all the way through the 1st and 2nd gears - so that's pretty different as well. Sport mode is where it's at! The turbo seems louder as does the vent-to-atmosphere noise when I get off the gas. I am hearing more of a fluttering noise too since the installation of the chip - not sure if that's good or bad based on what I've read here. I'd be curious if others see the car revving up faster/higher than before - just seems different to me and not sure if that's expected? It's like it's working hard to rev up but the speedo isn't moving as fast as it should be in lower gears/speeds - unless it's just a placebo and now I'm looking at the dashboard more. :)

I'm running 93 octane from a little gas station, so once this tank is done I'm gonna hit up a Shell station with 93 to see if it's any different. I know the quality of gas does make a difference too, so we'll see if anything changes.

What I like is that when driving normally (or in ECO mode), the car feels completely normal. It's only when you get on it does the car turn into a beast. :)
On the top part of your custom box, I would put a dab of clear silicone RTV in that hole. You will still be able to see the LED and keep any possible water from getting into that hole and into the Uncle Chip's electronics (makes for a bad day). Think about how else you might be able to keep water from ever getting into (directly or indirectly) your custom box.

Yup, I'm a EE.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
On the top part of your custom box, I would put a dab of clear silicone RTV in that hole. You will still be able to see the LED and keep any possible water from getting into that hole and into the Uncle Chip's electronics (makes for a bad day). Think about how else you might be able to keep water from ever getting into (directly or indirectly) your custom box.

Yup, I'm a EE.
Thanks! I did pick up a tube but for now I just have a piece of clear 3M tape along the inside of the box but will be putting some silicone on that hole.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
424 Posts
Are you planning to do any dyno runs to see what kind of gains you're getting?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Are you planning to do any dyno runs to see what kind of gains you're getting?
Not sure - need to find a dyno somewhere around here. I'll probably wait until I get some good 93 octane in the tank and a fresh oil change with full synthetic. I had to get the crappy non-synthetic oil last time since they were checking for the known engine defect in some engines for my model year.

The ole 'butt dyno' sure feels the difference though!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
Just a quick update. Still haven't had a chance to dyno the car but I'm really enjoying the **** out of this chip. I switched over to 93 octane from a Shell station and I can feel a definite improvement since my last tank. Now that the cooler weather has finally arrived, the car really seems to have a completely different feel to it - and I'm actually getting better gas mileage.

From a dead stop, the car can really squeal the tires and I have a tough time making the tires stick. When rolling at low speed like 25-30mph, the car really takes off when the pedal is hammered. When at full freeway speed, the car effortlessly pulls away and a 10 mph jump from 70-80mph feels like nothing. It's actually a little crazy how the car accelerates at higher speeds - all of the sudden you are doing 20Mph over without realizing it. And that's in NORMAL driving mode! When I switch to Sport mode, the car turns into a hungry beast after 2000 RPM and the acceleration puts you back in your seat.

I did have one weird issue where the car didn't start on the first turn, and I had to basically put the shifter back in park and try again. I noticed the car started just fine on the second round but it was like the turbo was not functioning. I couldn't feel any boost all and no vent-to-air noise - the car was basically in limp mode. I turned the car off and back on again and everything was back to normal - it was a one-time thing but I have no idea what the root cause was.

Anyway, money will spent between the plugs and chip. Really diggin the setup!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
56 Posts
Just logged in for the first time in a while and realized I had this thread saved. Any updates ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Just logged in for the first time in a while and realized I had this thread saved. Any updates ?
Unfortunately not! Not much free time lately with an almost 3-year old little lady running around constantly! That being said, still enjoying the **** out of the UNCLE chip - just so much fun especially in sport mode. I do have my eye on that Magnaflow setup tho, and am starting to look at some audio options to upgrade the stock SXL speakers as part of the Infinity system. I really like the look of the tablet-type radio that's been mentioned here on the forums but unfortunately they don't have one yet for the 2014 model.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.