Looking for a nice, quiet set of all seasons. Recommendations?
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

    Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Looking for a nice, quiet set of all seasons. Recommendations?

  1. #1
    Riding Lawn Mower
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    16

    Looking for a nice, quiet set of all seasons. Recommendations?

    I almost don't care about handling.....if the new tires reduce noise in the car by at least 15 or 20 percent.

    The tires on it NOW are seemingly major contributors to cabin noise, and it's driving us crazy.

    Anybody here ever put General Alti-max's on?

    Any other "quiet contenders" in an all-season?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    OptimaForums Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,059
    Year
    2011
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Best advice I can offer is to check the various tires out on Tirerack.com

    I just installed the Altimax (225/45-17) a couple weeks ago on the Optima. Seems like a decent tire, but too early to know if, down the road, the tires will become noisy. I purchased "T" rated tires this time to try and soften the rock hard ride. They helped some but the ride is still not to our liking.

    Also, just installed some Goodyear Eagle Sport (245/45-17) on the wife's car. Must say that these seem excellent when considering ride, handling, comfort and noise, but once again, too early to tell whether they will stay that way throughout their life.

  4. #3
    OptimaForums Veteran SXexcess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    ABQ, NM, USA
    Posts
    1,249
    I've had the generals on for a while now, much better than the oem crap.
    Kia could have done a better job on sound insulation IMO.
    2012 Optima SX w/ premium touring & tech packages, Corsa Blue, born in the USA Jan 24 2012, bought Feb 11 2012 w/7 miles
    Mods; 15% tint all around, clear bra, dechromed/body color grill, blue brake calipers, plastidip'd emblems, dark tint window vent visors, painted the badge T grass green (T-GDI), Fumoto oil drain valve, yellow tint fogs, mud guards, General Altimax RT43 225/50/18 tires and full size spare
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...20Optima%20SX/

  5. The Following User Says Kudos to SXexcess For This Useful Post:


  6. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    Lube Jockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Montreal ,CA.
    Posts
    625
    Year
    2015
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by SXexcess View Post
    I've had the generals on for a while now, much better than the oem crap.
    Kia could have done a better job on sound insulation IMO.<img src="https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsdown.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Thumbsdown" class="inlineimg" />
    Tires help with noise but I agree...Kia could've insulated better.

  8. The Following User Says Kudos to 1st timer For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Riding Lawn Mower
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonut View Post
    I just installed the Altimax (225/45-17) a couple weeks ago on the Optima. Seems like a decent tire, but too early to know if, down the road, the tires will become noisy. I purchased "T" rated tires this time to try and soften the rock hard ride. They helped some but the ride is still not to our liking.

    Also, just installed some Goodyear Eagle Sport (245/45-17) on the wife's car. Must say that these seem excellent when considering ride, handling, comfort and noise, but once again, too early to tell whether they will stay that way throughout their life.
    So, Turbo, enlighten me: our SX has Continental 225/45/18's on it.
    Why would you (your car) call for 17's?
    1. Personal choice?
    2. Smaller diameter for different model of Optima? (makes no sense to me)
    3. Better sound reduction on 17's over 18's? (again...logic?)

    As for someone's comment about the OEM "crap" Kia put on the car......what were those? (I HAVE to assume that when I bought our car last October, with 135,000 kliks on it, the Conti's were at LEAST the second or third set of replacements.)

    Who IS the authority on quiet tires for this car? KIA? Canadian Tire? TireRack?

    No offense to fellow forum members, but there doesn't seem to be much consensus here.

  10. #6
    Lot Attendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    437
    Year
    2018
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Can't speak on what OEM tires are on 2018 Optima SX(L)s up in Canada but here in the U.S. my 2018 SXL came with 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. My memory ain't all that great anymore but IIRC they are bit noisier on concrete than on asphalt but overall not too noisy at highway speeds, IMHO. Definitely not an excellent handling tire as far as traction and grip are concerned, but that shouldn't be too much of a surprise since they are all-season tires.

  11. #7
    OptimaForums Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,059
    Year
    2011
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScotty View Post
    So, Turbo, enlighten me: our SX has Continental 225/45/18's on it.
    Why would you (your car) call for 17's?
    1. Personal choice?
    2. Smaller diameter for different model of Optima? (makes no sense to me)
    3. Better sound reduction on 17's over 18's? (again...logic?)

    As for someone's comment about the OEM "crap" Kia put on the car......what were those? (I HAVE to assume that when I bought our car last October, with 135,000 kliks on it, the Conti's were at LEAST the second or third set of replacements.)

    Who IS the authority on quiet tires for this car? KIA? Canadian Tire? TireRack?

    No offense to fellow forum members, but there doesn't seem to be much consensus here.
    The'11 EX-T came with 17" 215/55-17 tires as standard equipment, so I use 225/55-17.
    I've mentioned this before that the glass used in the Kia is not what I consider good "sound resistance" glass. The windshield in the wife's Acura is double the cost of the Kia glass, and I don't recall the thickness/structual difference of windshield, side windows.

  12. The Following User Says Kudos to Turbonut For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    OptimaForums Veteran SXexcess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    ABQ, NM, USA
    Posts
    1,249
    The 2012s came with Hankooks IIRC, definitely the low bidder...lol.
    If they come with Michelin Primacys now, good on kia.
    2012 Optima SX w/ premium touring & tech packages, Corsa Blue, born in the USA Jan 24 2012, bought Feb 11 2012 w/7 miles
    Mods; 15% tint all around, clear bra, dechromed/body color grill, blue brake calipers, plastidip'd emblems, dark tint window vent visors, painted the badge T grass green (T-GDI), Fumoto oil drain valve, yellow tint fogs, mud guards, General Altimax RT43 225/50/18 tires and full size spare
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...20Optima%20SX/

  14. The Following User Says Kudos to SXexcess For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Lot Attendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    437
    Year
    2018
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by SXexcess View Post
    The 2012s came with Hankooks IIRC, definitely the low bidder...lol.
    If they come with Michelin Primacys now, good on kia.
    I'm guessing that Kia opted for the Hankooks on the 17" OEMs and Michelins on the 18" OEMs--my co-worker's 2017 Optima EX came with OEM 17" Hankooks whereas my 2018 Optima SXL came with the OEM 18" Michelins (18" is also a factory option for the Optima S trim).

  16. #10
    Riding Lawn Mower hlf gasd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    13
    I just got Yokohama Avid Ascend AT for my hybrid. My gas mileage has gone up and they're a great ride! Highly recommended and cost effective with great warranty to back them.
    2015 Optima Hybrid LX
    2016 Sorento FE AWD

  17. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0