[SX-T] : Looking for summer tires
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for summer tires

Lube Jockey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo

Looking for summer tires

Will need to get summer/4 season tires
    In a couple of months. Car will be dropped 1.2-1.3 and I'm looking to get stock size. Maybe 235 45 18 instead of 225. Want a good performer that's quiet.
    What do you guys recommend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Let me say that I wouldn't purchase summer tires unless true performance is needed. Summer tires can't, or shouldn't be driven below 35 F/ 2 C, and tread wear is poor as the UTQG is only 140/400. Another problem is the price, as depending on performance/quality wanted, the price runs from a low $150 to a whopping $360 p/tire. I'd also mention that if a really "meaty" tread width is wanted so as the tires look good, check the tread width as the tires in 235 run from a low of 7.5" to a max of 9", quite a difference when installed on a car.

Some have even gone to 245/40, but that requires, or an 8" wheel width is recommended.

I have summer tires on one of my cars that isn't driven very often, the fronts have been on there for years while the backs have been change 3 times as I have 2 different sizes F/R.

Take a look over on Tire Rack to get some info.

Lube Jockey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Well not necessarily "summers " .
    Could be 4 season. I was looking at continental dws. But I heard they get uneven wear . Thanks for the input.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st timer View Post
    Could be 4 season. I was looking at continental dws. But I heard they get uneven wear . Thanks for the input.
    As DWS are all-season tires, not summer, guess you're looking for all season tires, big difference.

Lube Jockey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st timer View Post
    As DWS are all-season tires, not summer, guess you're looking for all season tires, big difference.
    Yes they are but I'm open to the idea to put either or.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    I certainly would stick with an A/S tire and brand choice is very subjective, so once again take a look over on the TireRack site and get some feedback. I've tried many different brands over my lifetime and as once a Michelin guy, now I wouldn't have that name on my tires, and a few others in that category.

OptimaForums Veteran Waynerm002's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    I think your need would be well served with UHP AS tires, if you're a sporty driver, those would be more than sufficient for the Optima SX. The BFG Comp 2 AS, General G-MAX AS-05, Pirelli P-Zero AS+ and Michelin AS3+ (which somehow are listed in the high performance category) are pretty highly rated tires as well. I have the General on my Optima Hybrid and with some lowering springs, the car drives and handles quite well. It's not a 0-60 champ but you can get that 271 torque for a nice launch and unless you are turning, there will be no slipping of the tires. I was surprised by them when I first got them and since lowering the car on them, it's a much better riding vehicle. As far as noise level, they are pretty quiet but when new, and for about 500 miles, they will be noisy. I was ok with the noise based on how they were performing but after 500 miles, they got so quiet, I think they are even quieter than the Kumho TA31 that came on the car. I installed 225/50 vs stock 215/55 and they are great, thinking of finding some 18" wheels later to go 234/45 as I think they would give me the sort of ride and handling I prefer.

I drive a Stinger but on occasions take the Optima out to wipe the lazy driving style of my wife from it, at least for a weekend. Interesting enough, the Volvo S60 T5 R-Design we had came with 19" GT Tires on it (I suspect like the Optima as well), Pirelli P7 AS. They were noisy for that car on poor surfaces but performed quite well. I have launched that car to get the overboost function going, which bumps the torque from 258 to 295 for 10 seconds and there was no wheel spin. On the other side, they also have the Pirelli P7 AS+ which I used on my 2012 and 2014 Hybrids and it was a very quiet tire with great handling wet and dry (when new, dropped off when approaching 40K miles), in the show they were awesome! Best AS tires I ever used in snow. Recent test on TR have put their wet grip a bit lower compared to the newer competition, but tire rack tests at higher speeds and in controlled conditions, most people aren't going to drive hard in rain anyways and I only noticed a drop off later in the tire life. I was planning on getting them on the 2017 but their price went up a bit and when I was looking for tires, the Generals were under $100 each(never used the brand before), so I gave them a shot and they have impressed me. I believe the Pirelli P7 AS+ has a slight advantage in noise and better snow performance over the General G-MAX AS-05. I tried a set of Nitto Motivos on the Stinger and they ride comfortable, are very quiet (noise level over concrete don't go up much over other surfaces) and gripped well in the dry but can be slippery in the wet when pushed. For snow, they didn't do it for me, don't grip well for stopping. That's what was on the Stinger when it was wrecked 3 weeks ago. For a 3 season tire, they are pretty darn good. Quiet, comfortable and made the Stinger a treat to drive compared to the harder riding Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on rough roads and potholes.

You have a few great choices out there, it really depends on what you want from your tire. There isn't one that excels at everything, so you have to weigh what you want and realize that in other areas it won't be as strong. For my new Stinger, I picked up dedicated winter tires to keep me going when through the winter.

10. The Following User Says Kudos to Waynerm002 For This Useful Post:

Lube Jockey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Ended getting continental extreme contact dws 06. Very comfortable ride.
    Haven't tested the cornering and haven't done any harsh accelerations since it's still pretty cold here.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    What size?

Riding Lawn Mower
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonut View Post
    I've tried many different brands over my lifetime and as once a Michelin guy, now I wouldn't have that name on my tires, and a few others in that category.
    I'm right there with ya on the Michelin marque!
    What HAPPENED to that brand over the years. They used to be GOLD!
    As mentioned elsewhere, the best tires I've experienced buying/driving recently (on my 3 Series Bimmer) were Generals. That blew me away. I've always thought of Generals as army truck tires.....but these were dead quiet and grippy.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast