$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]

[LX] : Stock Front Tires scrub
$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: Stock Front Tires scrub

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Lx

Stock Front Tires scrub

I have a 16 Optima Lx with currently 49,500 miles and my front tires scrub when cornering or when dips are in the road. I have had alignments done and even replaced the tires (stock size) and still no help. Even the paint on my right fender lip has started to chip, don’t know if it’s because of that. This has been happening for a couple months now and I also noticed the car REALLY floaty at high speeds and the steering wheel kinda leans to the right just a little (Only at freeway speeds).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Lot Attendant
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Hmmm, curious as to what else besides a worn strut could cause a car to ride *floaty* or otherwise have tire rub over dips or other suspension compression; do the steering-specific components (e.g., worn/loose/excessive play in idler/pitman arm) check out okay...or maybe a worn wheel/hub bearing? Bent/loose suspension hardware (e.g., control arms or other links, sway bar)?
    Last edited by tonester; 05-28-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Lx
    Quote Originally Posted by tonester View Post
    Hmmm, curious as to what else besides a worn strut could cause a car to ride *floaty* or otherwise have tire rub over dips or other suspension compression; do the steering-specific components (e.g., worn/loose/excessive play in idler/pitman arm) check out okay...or maybe a worn wheel/hub bearing? Bent/loose suspension hardware (e.g., control arms or other links, sway bar)?
    Is there anything specific to look for when looking at the struts or suspension before I go back to the dealership? Like things that’s easy to spot without taking anything apart that way I would have more proof to show the dealership. I also noticed at 75+ the car pulls randomly with the slightest amount of wind and it feels like the car keeps going straight in slight curves also. I will be very disappointed if the dealership tells me that’s how it’s supposed to drive. They told me the same thing about the harsh transmission shifts my car has for months .

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Lot Attendant
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    How many miles and/or how old are your tires? Some suspension checks will require that the car be raised (e.g., jackstands, lift, etc.), plus possibly have one person turn the steering wheel while the other person looks underneath and see if the links have excessive play. Have you done the suspension compression check/test (bounce the front and/or rear end a few times and see how many times it bounces before stopping)? Also--does your car drift randomly or does it drift consistently to one side? If you *hold* the steering wheel at center while driving, does your car still pull to one side?

When exactly did the scrubbing and suspension dipping begin?

7. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements