Kia Optima Forums banner

Spare tire alert!!!! Please read!

17K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  unreligion 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok,
As you are aware, I installed a Full size spare (using a used 2011 Optima EX 17" rim off Ebay and a new CP671 from High Performance Tires Store - For Cars, Motorcycles and Off Road Vehicles), in my 2011 EX, with stock 17" alloys.

Well, I was thinking about putting the spare on Ebay and, upon checking the spare, I saw it was marked as a 16" sized as 125/80D16. I then went to Kiacarparts.net and saw there are 16", 17" and 18" spares available for our cars.

FYI - the donut tire/wheel diameter is 74.99 inches and the 17" stock is 82.66 inches, which is just over 10 percent difference in size plus the wheel rpm's per mile would be 845 v 767.

I will send Kia an enquiring Email about this today but, in the meantime, perhaps you could check to see if you have a 16" or 17" donut spare in your trunk.
I believe they will probably tell me it is ok to run on the donut for a few miles as it is only around a 10 percent differential. However, I will mention to them that living in a large state such as Texas, a few miles here can be a few hundred plus where could you get a flat fixed on a Sunday!

Ok, so if you do check it it is 16" or 17", make sure it has 60PSI in it.

IMHO, they really need to give the option of a full size spare......especially for us living in large states.

See less See more
#3 ·
Read your Owners Manual............

#4 ·
what is the point of this thread? are you just informing us that there are different spare tire sizes? this is because there are 3 different size rim options.

" They are typically smaller than the normal tires on the vehicle and can only be used for limited distances because of their short life expectancy and low speed rating. As well, due to the different size of a donut compared to regular wheel, electronic stability control and traction control systems will not operate properly and should be disabled until the original wheel is restored. Space saver spare tires also severely compromise the braking (especially on cars not fitted with anti-lock brakes) and handling of the car "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.