Low beam HID housing cover stuck, won't open
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low beam HID housing cover stuck, won't open

Low beam HID housing cover stuck, won't open

I tried to replace my HID bulb with 6000k, but the housing cover just wouldn't open, I'm positive I was turning it the right way, the high beam housing cover opens & locks very easily but was impossible to open the hids, I even tried placing a screw driver at one of the cover's teeth & I hit it with a hammer & still wouldn't open,
    anyone ever experienced this before?
    Low beam HID housing cover stuck, won't open-20121112_230729.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Sx
    Quote Originally Posted by ty666666 View Post
    I tried to replace my HID bulb with 6000k, but the housing cover just wouldn't open, I'm positive I was turning it the right way, the high beam housing cover opens & locks very easily but was impossible to open the hids, I even tried placing a screw driver at one of the cover's teeth & I hit it with a hammer & still wouldn't open,
    anyone ever experienced this before?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121112_230729.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	12532

thats cuz theres a phillips screw on the bottom holding it in place to stop it from rotating.
    mods so far
    injen intake, drls with switch, stage 2 led kit, front swithcback led's, nameless downpipe\midpipe, cp-e catback, led door handle mod,led tail light mod, led bumpers led cup holder mod, luxon strut bar, mirror module, 2 occ, bov plate mod, BTRcc tune, 18" Falken RT-7M wrapped in Michelin Primacy MXM4's dropped on eibach springs and custom intercooler setup.

Year
    Make
    BMW
    Model
    M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by stargtsi View Post
    thats cuz theres a phillips screw on the bottom holding it in place to stop it from rotating.
    beat me to it.
    SOLD- 2012 Optima SX SWP
    SOLD- 2011 Optima LX PremiumGraphite

G4z808's Showroom

Quad projector retrofit

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Oh I see, I never thought there might be a screw since the hi beam cover opens without removing any screws.

Sent from my Galaxy Note
    Your signature image is too large. The limits are 650h x 250w with text. Please resize or use another image.

OptimaForums Veteran aflacattack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ty666666 View Post
    Oh I see, I never thought there might be a screw since the hi beam cover opens without removing any screws.

Sent from my Galaxy Note
    Car bible says you have to take bumper off, the housing, then stupid good for nothing screw, then cover the replace bulb... Then put it all back together :p

I managed to do it without taking the bumper and housing off for the passenger side (just move window washing fluid resavoir aside)... But driver side i pooped the bumper off on the driver side and took the housing off. Some have suggested taking the battery off for driver side.
    Last edited by aflacattack; 11-13-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    loaded 11' platinum graphite SX (build date 3/11), 30% tints, 3.0 k-badge, k5 badge, Remote start w/ factory key FOB, LED stage 2, LED DRL, LED switchbacks, 6000k low & fog, led door handle, Injen, led bumper reflector, k5 door scuff, power folding mirror w/ auto fold.

I just changed out my HID low beam bulbs yesterday so i am very familiar what it takes to get them changed out without removing the bumper, yes passenger side is cake since you can remove the 2 bolts holding the plastic reservoir in place and set the reservoir on top of your engine cover. The driver side is the real challenge, this is what i do for that side. I disconnect the negative wire to the battery and use duct tape to hold that negative wire in place out of the way, then i remove the clip that holds the battery in place. No need to remove the battery since you will not gain any extra space, i just leave the positive connected and twist the battery clockwise a bit just to make a little more room...its not much but any little bit helps since the real problem is the fuse box that is right behind the low beam housing.

Now like others have mentioned the other trick is getting at those small phillips screws that lock the dust cover in place, i use a very small socket set with a phillips screw adapter. Its the only way you can remove that screw without taking the bumper off!! I have small hands and that is helpful for the driver side since you will be very cramped for room to work with. Feel free to PM me if any of the directions above were not too clear.

OptimaForums Veteran aflacattack's Avatar
    You must have tiny hands! I did this two weeks ago it was **** gettif the new bulb in
    loaded 11' platinum graphite SX (build date 3/11), 30% tints, 3.0 k-badge, k5 badge, Remote start w/ factory key FOB, LED stage 2, LED DRL, LED switchbacks, 6000k low & fog, led door handle, Injen, led bumper reflector, k5 door scuff, power folding mirror w/ auto fold.

wouldn't you just leave out the screws out so you don't have to deal with it later again?
    2012 Optima SX EB Prem+Tech Built: March 16 2012
    [K Logo Emblem 3.0 Set] [K5 Name Rebadged] [20% Tinted Windows] [SXL Bumper Frame]
    [iJDMTOY Bright DRL] [HID Low-Beam Philips 6500k] [3528 SMD LED White Foglight] [iJDMTOY Switchback LED Turnlight]

Quote Originally Posted by aflacattack View Post
    You must have tiny hands! I did this two weeks ago it was **** gettif the new bulb in
    they are smaller but i would not say tiny, i was just determined to get that bulb in without taking the bumper off and have done it twice now. I just installed the Osram 5000K 66140CBI DS1 bulbs and wow what a great bulb for HIDs. I had put some 6000K bulbs in but the illumination performance was just ok, however the 6000K matched the loman LED DRLs perfectly just came at a cost with reduced illumination performance from the low beams. After putting the Osram CBI's in, wow that is illumination performance i wanted and feel much safer driving with these installed just encase some animal tried to make a frogger-game like maneuver from the side of the road infront of me

Quote Originally Posted by cjakub View Post
    I just changed out my HID low beam bulbs yesterday so i am very familiar what it takes to get them changed out without removing the bumper, yes passenger side is cake since you can remove the 2 bolts holding the plastic reservoir in place and set the reservoir on top of your engine cover. The driver side is the real challenge, this is what i do for that side. I disconnect the negative wire to the battery and use duct tape to hold that negative wire in place out of the way, then i remove the clip that holds the battery in place. No need to remove the battery since you will not gain any extra space, i just leave the positive connected and twist the battery clockwise a bit just to make a little more room...its not much but any little bit helps since the real problem is the fuse box that is right behind the low beam housing.

Now like others have mentioned the other trick is getting at those small phillips screws that lock the dust cover in place, i use a very small socket set with a phillips screw adapter. Its the only way you can remove that screw without taking the bumper off!! I have small hands and that is helpful for the driver side since you will be very cramped for room to work with. Feel free to PM me if any of the directions above were not too clear.
    My bumper cover was removed, I was actually cutting the bumper & installing the new led drls, I have ordered 6000k hids but I haven't received them yet, & since I was working on the DRLs I thought why not see how the hid bulbs can be replaced, & that's when I couldn't open the dust cover, I was s focused on the drls that I didn't think about any screw.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast