Genesis G70 Coupe Previewed
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: Genesis G70 Coupe Previewed

Learner's Permit

Genesis G70 Coupe Previewed

Looks stunning. Hopefully they build one.

Genesis has kept quiet about the possibility of a coupe joining its lineup, but with the success of the new G70 sports sedan, the brand’s hiatus from the two-door market could be at an end.

Genesis built the G70 to take the battle to its German and Japanese rivals, and they’ve surprised everyone with a car that drives like a BMW used to – likely because Genesis employed BMW’s former M performance line boss Albert Biermann to make sure of it.

In fact, it’s been so good it won the North American Car of the Year award!

If the G70 Coupe did make it into production, as our artist rendering suggests, it would be a stunner, competing with the C-Class Coupe, 4 Series Coupe and Audi A5 – amongst a host of others.

Seen here in a stunning crystal red, it makes use of the brand’s newest grille design, as seen on the updated G90 luxury sedan.

Expert a slightly more aggressive stance and possibly larger wheels with lower profile tires.

Under the hood, we’d expect both engine options to be available, with the 2.0T making 255-hp and 260 lb-ft of torque, while the V6 turbo delivers 365-hp and 376 lb-ft.

Rumors have suggested Genesis is looking to roll out a performance trim option for the G70 sedan, and the G70 coupe could be just the excuse needed to debut it on!

With the sedan stickering for $35,895 for the 2.0T model and $44,745 for the V6-turbo, expect the coupe version to cost approximately $1,000 more – plus an extra $2,000 for AWD.

Back in 2016 a leaked future product document from Genesis revealed that the brand was planning a coupe version of the G70, which is set to arrive after the launch of the GV80 mid-size luxury SUV and right around the same time as the launch of the compact GV70 SUV.

The news came at about the same time, the brand debuted the G-Coupe Concept with a swoopy design.

Look for a Genesis G70 Coupe in about a year’s time. That should give the Germans long enough to get worried.
    Source: Genesis G70 Forum

2. The Following User Says Kudos to AutoGuide.com For This Useful Post:

3. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    In many ways, I think the G70 (properly optioned) is a better deal with reported better driving characteristics then the Stinger GT. Can't go wrong with either one but it sure is great to have great options!
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 80K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...
    (See my Showroom for details)

OptimaForums Veteran Waynerm002's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Hybrid
    The G70 is a great driver but I think Genesis missed the opportunity to one-up some of the other luxury cars by giving that car more interior room to start with. I test drove and seriously considered one when I was looking for a car after wrecking the 2018 Stinger, my take on the 2 is that the Genesis should have the Stinger Sport mode as it's Comfort mode and the Stinger should get the Genesis' Comfort mode for its Sport mode. Seeing as how they used similar shocks and springs, it should be a bit of tuning to each. I did end up getting a 2019 Stinger as a replacement and find it drives a bit better than the 2018 I had.

Now on the coupe side, they need to make it a proper 4 seater with good legroom in the rear. Bring in the 3.5T for a top end super sporty version and beat out the big boys at their game while still being affordable.

6. The Following User Says Kudos to Waynerm002 For This Useful Post:

7. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    What??? I apparently missed the story on you wrecking your 2018 Stinger...what happened there, if I may ask? Hope nobody got hurt / all involved came out of it okay.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements