Kia Optima Forums banner

SX Cluster Swap and dash disassembly

[DIY] : 
30K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  Jharkness 
#1 ·
How to remove dash to swap out LX/EX cluster for the SX cluster and associated bezel. Takes under an hour.

Pry open the plastic side panel on the far drivers side of your dash as shown here. And remove the three Phillips screws as circled in orange.

On the underside of your drivers side dash, remove two more Phillips screws circled here in orange. You can disconnect the electrical plugs (ODBC & push to start) to move the panel out of your way if you wish.

Remove one more Philips screw circled in orange here. Then pry up the faux leather as it’s held in simply by plastic clips.

With the faux leather trim on the left side off, you will remove three more Philips screws as circled here in orange.

The faux leather trim on the right needs to come off next. It’s all plastic clips as well. I started at the bottom and worked my way to the top and it came off easily. Once the faux leather trim is off, you will need to remove the far left Philips screw as circled in orange.

With all the screws out you should be able to remove the bezel around the instrument cluster pretty easily now. Once you pull off the bezel there are four Philips screws you need to remove in order to pull out the actual cluster. Remove those four screws circled here in orange and the cluster comes right out, just disconnect the wire harness on the back.

Drop in the new SX cluster like shown and plug in the rear wire harness. Turn on the car and make sure things light up as shown. Reverse assembly instructions and reassemble your dash.

Picture while driving at night. Looks great and lighting matches the Nav and Uvo systems. Enjoy all the new sounds and graphics that show up.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sweet. Another great DIY! Thanks for posting.

Reactions: JasonS
#4 ·
#9 ·
Correct. You will need to send the cluster or take the cluster to a sop that can reset your mileage, as mileage numbers are retained in the cluster.

Those plastic clips DO NOT pop out easy for the bezel LOL :( I broke one of the clips when I did the the swap on my bezel... But great write up! Each step was on point!
Ouch. Sorry to hear you busted one. :( The plastic clips are tight indeed, however; I would recommend with a longer flat screw driver you pry near each clip send it should come out easily and without damage. Just be careful is all.

#14 ·
Have an SX cluster in my garage waiting to be installed. Need to put some more miles on my LX though as I don't feel like having the SX cluster mileage reprogrammed (and need to find a bezel at a good price). Tested it when I got it and **** that cluster is gorgeous (and the chimes/sounds!).

#16 ·
Thanks buddy. I'm calling around trying to find a body or speed shop that has the ability to reprogram my cluster.

#19 ·
Watching a few of the sx clusters on eBay. Seeing them about $95-$100. I didn't see a definitive answer, but since I have a 2012 EX, I'll need a 2012 SX cluster? Don't want to loose my steering wheel controls.
Yes you would want an SX cluster from model year 2011 - 2013. All three years are identical for SX clusters. Don't forget the bezel too!

#21 ·
So I just swapped my cluster but the EPB light is on and stays on. I assume it's because I got a '13 cluster and have a '12 car. Any ideas besides pulling the light that powers that EPB warning?
all SX clusters 2011 - 2013 are identical. As for the electronic parking brake light, the 2012 cars do not have this feature so I'm not sure what guidance to give. Do you have an ODBC scanner handy and can see if there are codes that can be reset or turned off?

#24 ·
finally did a test fit of my new cluster, works great. still trying to get a sx bezel. ordered one today. the place i ordered it from this time said they had it in stock. haven't been to lucky yet on that. still about 1000 miles more on the sx cluster. gives me time to get my mileage on the car the same as the sx cluster. there is definitely more screws and trim parts that need to be removed on a 2014 then in the OP post. still very helpful. :thumbsup:

#36 · (Edited)
Haven't done the swap yet but it looks fairly painless. Based on everything I've read, you'll need:
  • The SX gauge cluster
  • Interior trim surrounding the cluster
Pic:

The gauge clusters are a dime a dozen but finding the trim piece is the tricky part. I just ordered one this evening for $50 off Ebay which seems like a steal. I've only found a few others and they generally went for ~100 to 150. Oh and pay attention to the gauges itself. It looks like the hybrid model uses a similar gauge style that on a quick glance could fool you into thinking it's the SX gauge that others are doing.

Killer write up from the author. Took only a half hour to do the swap thanks to his guidance. There was a missing bolt callout for the lower left of the bezel just below the air vent. Not a big deal, but was a little troublesome since I only remove the left side of the lower panel under the steering column at first.

For anyone considering this, I'd suggest buying some interior disassembly tools for some of the pieces. They're real cheap on Amazon.

#38 ·
Sorry to dredge up this thread but I am looking into doing this for my 16 LX 1.6T

Can someone please get me a part number that I am looking for on that SX Turbo? I cannot find them on Ebay but I live in a large enough city for junk yards
The junk yards are asking for a vin or part number. Since my vin does not apply obviously, I need a part number. I tried on things like Kia online for parts but
cannot find right one. Especially since the pictures are not always right for online catalogs.

Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.