[DIY] : LED Door Handles - Page 20
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

    Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
     
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Results 191 to 200 of 200

Thread: LED Door Handles

  1. #191
    Learner's Permit TVDinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    217
    Thanks Jason. I have checked out your thread also. Between your thread and the first 2 posts in this thread showing detailed info, hopefully we will be able to make it work with the inside dome light!
    2015 Black SXL (purchased 10/2015) Mods: 3.0 K Logo Emblems | Rear LED Reflector Lights | Side Vent LED Lights | K5 logo on trunk (removed "Optima") | Door Handle LEDs | Chrome K5 Rim Caps | LED Inside Dome Lights | Rear Window Spoiler (with 3rd light) | "T" front grill emblem | wrapped some of the chrome - My New Showroom & Pictures
    2013 Black EX (sold 10/2015): My Old Showroom & Pictures


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #192
    Learner's Permit
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    233
    Model
    Optima
    Hi guys, I just found this thread and I'm interested in doing this mod but I have a question since the links in the first post are no longer available and was wondering if these are the correct leds and retainers.
    10 Pcs LED 5mm Pre Wired 12 Volt Wide View Angle White LEDs 12V Prewired | eBay
    10 LED Holder Retainers Panel Mounting 5mm Locks USA | eBay

    Thanks.

  4. #193
    OptimaForums Veteran DINO2K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    T.O
    Posts
    4,406
    Year
    2011
    Trim
    SX 2.0T

    LED Door Handles

    Quote Originally Posted by Wellcraft View Post
    Hi guys, I just found this thread and I'm interested in doing this mod but I have a question since the links in the first post are no longer available and was wondering if these are the correct leds and retainers.
    10 Pcs LED 5mm Pre Wired 12 Volt Wide View Angle White LEDs 12V Prewired | eBay
    10 LED Holder Retainers Panel Mounting 5mm Locks USA | eBay

    Thanks.
    JR, looks like you got the right link and can't wait to see you pull the trigger on doing this mod, one of the best mod period. A little advice once you do the install, I would put clear silicone prior installing the led to the retainer and it will help to prevent any water coming in and trust me on this one lol. I also dremel down and follow by a light polishing on the front surfaces of the led once installed that way it sits completely flush rather than sticking up just a tad and you can't even tell that it's there.


    Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements
     

  6. #194
    Riding Lawn Mower C6Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    South of Boston, MA
    Posts
    42
    Year
    2016
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Nice write-up and video. Thanks for posting.

  7. #195
    Learner's Permit
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    233
    Model
    Optima
    Quote Originally Posted by DINO2K View Post
    JR, looks like you got the right link and can't wait to see you pull the trigger on doing this mod, one of the best mod period. A little advice once you do the install, I would put clear silicone prior installing the led to the retainer and it will help to prevent any water coming in and trust me on this one lol. I also dremel down and follow by a light polishing on the front surfaces of the led once installed that way it sits completely flush rather than sticking up just a tad and you can't even tell that it's there.


    Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Thanks man, I'll be placing the order today and will follow your advice of using silicone.

    Thanks again.

  8. #196
    Learner's Permit
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    233
    Model
    Optima
    Hi guys, I just did the whole led thing but wasn't able to connect the wires to the overhead console as it looks like mine is different than the one in the first post. I have a 2015 sxl so I assume that most the reason. Anyone have any idea where to wire it?

    Im attaching a piture for reference. LED Door Handles-20160904_211032.jpg

  9. #197
    OptimaForums Veteran DINO2K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    T.O
    Posts
    4,406
    Year
    2011
    Trim
    SX 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by Wellcraft View Post
    Hi guys, I just did the whole led thing but wasn't able to connect the wires to the overhead console as it looks like mine is different than the one in the first post. I have a 2015 sxl so I assume that most the reason. Anyone have any idea where to wire it?

    Im attaching a piture for reference. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160904_211032.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	210073
    Hopefully you get it straighten out JR and I'm sure looking at Miglo DIY will help you out with your fading which will works just as good. GL and let us know how it turns out once you figure out the ECM yellow wire.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #198
    Learner's Permit mgm1018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    101
    Nothing like reviving a super old thread. Had my car off the road for like the past 3+ years and finally got it going again and got round to finally doing this mod with the wire connection straight from the BCM dark yellow switched ground that allows for the on off approach and fade out. Was working great then all of a sudden today it looked as though there was a slight short on the ground circuit cause it stayed on but super dim even with the car off. I ended up scrapping the ez tap to the dark yellow wire and doing my best to solder the connection directly and then it still didn’t work so I was really bumming thinking about having to tear everything apart to find where there was one of my ground wires grounding out directly instead of to the switch bcm ground. Well in my frustration I knocked on the dome light console and to my surprise it fixed whatever the problem was. Should I be concerned with this? Should I pull down the overhead and see if there is an issue with the ground wiring up there? Or just count my blessing that I don’t have to rip my car apart lol

    Anyway love the mod. Props to the guy who found the yellow switched ground instead of having to wire to dome.
    My setup doesn’t shine as bright as the op’s prob half from it being black and other half from being kinda scratched and scuffed, so I ended up wiring two leds in each handle and it’s almost equivalent now.

  11. #199
    Learner's Permit mgm1018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    101
    Here’s a sorta crappy pic of them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LED Door Handles-800b6bd1-48da-4a9f-927f-317174048eca_1560401672918.jpg  

  12. #200
    Learner's Permit mgm1018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    101
    Deleted last question about LEDs not shutting off completely when hooked into the BCM yellow wire switched ground. Someone in the other thread (easier method) finally told me that since the LEDs draw such little current they are not shut off completely. Recommends solving it with resistors and will be doing that this weekend when they come.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements
     

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Similar Threads

  1. LED Door Handles, Reflectors, and Puddle lights Installed!!
    By SWP-SXL in forum Interior and Exterior Modifications
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 03-16-2016, 05:56 PM
  2. LED Door Handles
    By svdrumline90 in forum Interior and Exterior Modifications
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 10:33 AM
  3. Can anyone in Ga do the LED door handles mod?
    By crystaljukebox in forum DIY Projects
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
  4. LED Door Handles
    By guardiannite in forum DIY Projects
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-19-2012, 11:07 AM
  5. 2011 kia optima sx LED door handles
    By BERTO1230781 in forum DIY Projects
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 02-24-2012, 07:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0