[DIY] : Front Bumper Removal - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Front Bumper Removal

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
    Its really not that difficult. Pull out the side of your bumper and stick your arm in with a deep well 10mm socket and wrench. unbolt. They some right out. When you re-install, leave off the nut furthest in and juts do the two bolts on either side. Makes it much easier in the future. Hope this helps!
    Exactly what he said...Its not something you can physically see. You have to lightly stretch out the side of the bumper and stretch your arm out as far as you can inside there and feel your way around for them. It's almost like your hugging your car when you reach them just below the headlights...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Lube Jockey
    Another grateful diy reader here. Just used this to install my wagner intercooler and was dreading these hidden bolts and nuts. I have a suggestion tho, after removing the 2 bolts and 4 nuts, pry off the clips with a screw driver (just stick it in and twist to pop the clips of the bumper) and mount the bracket back on the bumper. The passenger side bracket will have a horn that mounts on the bracket also so it's a lot easier this way. The driver side bracket has a wire loom clip also which makes it easier to pre-mount the bracket first. Then when you put the bumper back on, just line up the hidden bracket with the bumper clips along with the clips below the headlights and hit the bumper with the flat of your Palm to pop them in. I start with the headlight ones first and move my way toward the hidden clips.
    2012 Optima SX Titanium Silver Premium Touring Pkg
    New Switchback LED mod, Nameless Motor Mount Inserts, SR Rigid Collars, Ultra Racing FSTB, Neotech RSB, Boomba Racing BOV, NP Intake to stock Air box, AEM Dryflow Filter, Cree reverse LEDs, LED Rear turn signals, Camilly LED Rear Bumper Reflectors, 80w Cree Fog lights, Auto Tilt Mirror Mod, 3.0 CF/Black K-badges, PCV&IC OCCs, P2R TB Spacer, HKS M45xl plugs, Wagner IC, OSRAM CBI HID bulbs

91 Utune ECU Flash
    253whp/248wtq on Dynojet

Quote Originally Posted by Apolymoxic View Post
    I've heard that this has been posted elsewhere, but I haven't seen it on this forum. There is a video (https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/64...val-video.html) thanks to nappydrew, (View Profile: nappydrew - Optima Forums : Kia Optima Forum), but some might find a simple write up just as helpful, (nothing against the video - it's actually very useful). So I decided I would post this.
    I'm late to the party on this thread, but hanks for the reference, and excellent write-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspeed View Post
    I just did this yesterday, and I used the method that removes the bolts. When putting back on however, I slid the brackets off and bolted them on before installing the bumper. I think after removing them once, it would be fine to pull the bumper off as long as you are putting pressure in the right place.
    I have done it that way too. I prefer to remove the nuts and bolts when taking it off, but I find it easier to just reattach the same way. It makes it easier to move the bumper around a bit to line up the top before I start tightening things down.

Quote Originally Posted by Artex View Post
    Looking at that picture, I don't know how someone with 'normal' arms could get in there to get those out since the nut is actually behind the frame. Can I ask.. when you take out those bolts, what is it actually doing to make the job so much easier? I mean, that black metallic looking piece where the bolts are going through - is that actually connected to the bumper itself? Either way, it must not have been easy...
    I'm 6'-1" and 270lbs. The nuts and bolts behind the bumper are very easy to get to, just requires slightly pulling the sides out, and reaching in with a small ratchet. The passenger side is a bit tighter, but the driver side is a breeze. The bumper cover is pretty flexible.

What makes it so much easier, IMO, is 1) you don't risk tearing your bumper, and 2) By removing the nuts and bolts, the bumper almost literally falls off in your hands, instead of having to tug like hell on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xterra808 View Post
    Another grateful diy reader here. Just used this to install my wagner intercooler and was dreading these hidden bolts and nuts. I have a suggestion tho, after removing the 2 bolts and 4 nuts, pry off the clips with a screw driver (just stick it in and twist to pop the clips of the bumper) and mount the bracket back on the bumper. The passenger side bracket will have a horn that mounts on the bracket also so it's a lot easier this way. The driver side bracket has a wire loom clip also which makes it easier to pre-mount the bracket first. Then when you put the bumper back on, just line up the hidden bracket with the bumper clips along with the clips below the headlights and hit the bumper with the flat of your Palm to pop them in. I start with the headlight ones first and move my way toward the hidden clips.
    My car didn't have anything attached to the passenger side clip, but the driver side had a single pop-out plastic tab to remove the wire loom, which I never put back on, because it's asinine. Not sure what model you're driving, or year. I'm not familiar with 2014+.

Just in case anyone wants an embedded video, here's my method:

5. The Following User Says Kudos to nappydrew For This Useful Post:

6. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Has anyone removed the front bumper on a 14 or 15? Is it any different? Any tips? I attempted this about a year ago when changing my HIDs and gave up because it wasn't budging. Now I need to change my turn signals and apparently the bumper has to come off (which I find ridiculous).

Certified Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceiseasy View Post
    Has anyone removed the front bumper on a 14 or 15? Is it any different? Any tips? I attempted this about a year ago when changing my HIDs and gave up because it wasn't budging. Now I need to change my turn signals and apparently the bumper has to come off (which I find ridiculous).
    Yep same thing. I did it on my 15. When you remove the screws and what not. When pulling the bumper pull up the towards you. There are clips holding it on. But be sure to remove all screws and retainers or your going to have a bad day.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by jery911 View Post
    Yep same thing. I did it on my 15. When you remove the screws and what not. When pulling the bumper pull up the towards you. There are clips holding it on. But be sure to remove all screws and retainers or your going to have a bad day.
    Thanks for the tip. I got it done today. It was a big pain to reach those screws, but I managed to do it after a lot of cussing and bustin up my knuckles and arms. To make it easier to put back on, I removed the brackets attached to the bumper and screwed those freakin screws back in while the bumper was off. Then the bumper snaps on to those brackets somewhat easy.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123