[EX-T] : Changed Spark Plugs - noticed some oil
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: Changed Spark Plugs - noticed some oil

Question Changed Spark Plugs - noticed some oil

Hey all,

So I changed spark plugs on my Optima 2013 Turbo. I used the NGK 1422, and I can definitely notice a pretty big improvement on both throttle response and Fuel Economy. Heck, my idling RPM went down to 800-1000 RPM (from 1200 or so).

Anyway, this was my first time changing spark plugs myself, and I'm a fairly new DIYer as well. So here's the question.
    After removing the ignition coils to gain acces to the plug, I noticed a very minute amount of what seemed like oil on the rubber surrounding the coil. Once I removed the spark plug, it also seemed like the threads on the old plugs also has some small amount of oil on them. Is this normal - if not what could be the reason? I didn't see any obvious leaks (from a very quick visual inspection).

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Certified Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Very unusual that changing spark plugs would cause a lower idle, better throttle response along with better performance, a combination I have never seen. Having said that, oil accumulation in that area could be due to a leaking valve cover gasket.

Learner's Permit
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsukei View Post
    Hey all,

So I changed spark plugs on my Optima 2013 Turbo. I used the NGK 1422, and I can definitely notice a pretty big improvement on both throttle response and Fuel Economy. Heck, my idling RPM went down to 800-1000 RPM (from 1200 or so).

Anyway, this was my first time changing spark plugs myself, and I'm a fairly new DIYer as well. So here's the question.
    After removing the ignition coils to gain acces to the plug, I noticed a very minute amount of what seemed like oil on the rubber surrounding the coil. Once I removed the spark plug, it also seemed like the threads on the old plugs also has some small amount of oil on them. Is this normal - if not what could be the reason? I didn't see any obvious leaks (from a very quick visual inspection).

Thanks!
    Call your dealer and ask. I would assume its a dielectric lube(think thats whst they call it) around rubber and anti seize on threads of plugs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements