bumper-to-bumper traffic MPG on 2015 Kia Optima
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: bumper-to-bumper traffic MPG on 2015 Kia Optima

Question bumper-to-bumper traffic MPG on 2015 Kia Optima

Hello,

I have little concern with my MPG and I have a feeling I am getting lower MPG than it should.

My car comes with 2.0 Hyundai Nu Engine (which they distribute for Asia and some Europe market I believe).

Since I drive mostly on rush hours to commute to my work, the traffic is quite bad. Google map is showing "red" color on the route I usually commute.

I am getting about 14 to 17 MPG only. Is that normal? AC is always on because it is 40C hot here. I already tried with ECO on and off.

I was on highway for 4 hours last 2 weeks ago and I got 37.7MPG (at 62 MPH), which is really good! I am just worried about city commute and I am getting lowest MPG compare to previous cars I owned which were also 2.0L (all Toyota though).

I have already changed new spark plugs and use fully synthetic 5w30 engine oil.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Certified Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    I would check what the fuel mileage ratings are for the 2.0 Nu engine and go from there.
    In the US, the '11 2.0T is rated 22/33, but if you search, there are reports of 18 mpg in city driving, and I can also say that I've never seen 33 on our '11 2.0T. The best was one tankful on our 3000 mile trip that was 30 mpg, but all other <29.

Oh ok. I did try to search MPG for Nu Engines on similar cars but they got more MPG since their cars are smaller and lighter.

Your 2.0T is Turbo right? If so you should get less miles. But traffic here is like Bangkok. If we got stuck in a red light, we have to sit still for about 5 minutes in average.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Certified Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Yes, mine is a Turbo, and the mpg takes a dump when idling in heavy traffic.

7. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements