Kia Optima Forums banner

Transmission rough shifting issue

11K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Turbonut 
#1 ·
So my wife's Optima SX has gone through about 3 weeks of rough shifting (hard shifts both up and down, staying in lower gear and high rpms etc). I read about the transmission temp sensor and how it could possibly be bad and causing this issue.

It finally threw a code after about 3 weeks of rough shifting: P0711. So I brought it in to the dealer today. I tried to get them to order the sensor prior to appointment stating that the "P0711" code CEL was lit, but they absolutely refused.

So diagnosis, mechanic thinks that sensor is OK but there is a pin on the harness that is bad. So they are ordering a new harness/connector. I'm kind of skeptical on the "bad pin" theory...

Has anyone had this issue resolved with their rough shift transmission issue?

#4 ·
so I finally got the transmission fixed. Said they tightened the bolt on the harness and replaced the sensor. Filled the trans with fresh fluid.

So the next day my wife tells me the backup camera is not working. WTH! I'm wondering if the camera wiring runs through the harness that the tech tightened up or he may have possibly removed some wiring to do the repair and didn't reconnect. I mean what are the odds of the camera going bad RIGHT after the repair?

Anyone else have the backup camera fail?

#7 ·
I'm having the same issue with rough shifting for a few weeks and then the check engine light coming on today. I'm going to borrow a code reader to get the error code.
My question is: If it is a temp sensor, why does it cause the rough shifting?

#8 ·
Temp sensor will cause very rough shifting, as like many items on the Kia, it's a known failure item. Cheap and fairly easy to replace. Most just replace the sensor, but I believe the Hyundai replacement comes with the harness that at times goes south, but requires a little more work.

I thought my transmission was going to drop out of the car when cold as the trans was erratic and harsh to say the least, but after warm up it was fine. Funny part is that never had a problem until the KSDS update was performed and the car acted up within 1 mile from the dealership, but of course their response was that nothing they did would have caused the sensor to go bad. Naturally, I couldn't prove otherwise, so swallowed hard, bit my tongue and replaced the sensor, good to go until the next item self destructs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.