[ALL] : Engine Failures - Share Your Experience - Page 46
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: Engine Failures - Share Your Experience

Let it break in, or better yet, help it do so.
    2012 Optima SX w/ premium touring & tech packages, Corsa Blue, born in the USA Jan 24 2012, bought Feb 11 2012 w/7 miles
    Mods; 15% tint all around, clear bra, dechromed/body color grill, blue brake calipers, plastidip'd emblems, dark tint window vent visors, painted the badge T grass green (T-GDI), Fumoto oil drain valve, yellow tint fogs, mud guards, General Altimax RT43 225/50/18 tires and full size spare
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...20Optima%20SX/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

- Year, Make, Model, Trim 2107 Optima LX
    - Engine/Performance Mods
    - Mileage at the time of failure Under 30K
    - Determined cause of engine failure Cam Bearing ?
    - Was proper maintenance performed? Yes
    - Was it covered under warranty? Yes
    - Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Yes
    - What was the outcome Wait time is one to two months for a new engine

We received a notice for a software upgrade to detect cam bearing failure and had that done on
    2-2-19. On 3-9-19 the car went into Limp Mode and the engine light came on. We had just passed the Kia dealer a couple miles back so I did a U turn. We arrived at the dealer as they were closing and they stayed over on a Saturday to get us in a loaner car. Very nice 2019 Nissan Pathfinder, but the MPG sucks compared to my Optima. The dealer called at 9 am the following Monday 3-11-19 to let us know they have ordered a new engine for my car. They stated it may be a month or two to receive the new engine. They stated the repairs and the loaner car are covered under warranty. I sure hope they dont try and stick me when it is done. The car is a lease and I may see about getting out of that under the lemon law. MI law states if the car is out of service for more than 30 days it is a lemon. Are others having this issue? I see some older models with engines being replaced.

Certified Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    As you've probably read, new, old, low mileage, high mileage and everything in between has had an engine replaced and when done, there isn't any charges. There is a recall on cars with new engines,fuel pipe leaking causing fires, so they should know the procedure.
    Lemon law, your prerogative.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Hyundai
    Model
    2012 Sonata 2.0T
    Trim
    Sonata Limited
    - Year, Make, Model, Trim: 2012 Sonata 2.0T
    - Engine/Performance Mods: Meth Lap 3 Stage 2.5 Tune, Mid Pipe, Catback
    - Mileage at the time of failure: 149500
    - Determined cause of engine failure: Warped head
    - Was proper maintenance performed? Yes
    - Was it covered under warranty? No
    - Did KIA approve car rental/reimbursement? Dealer gave me a loaner car.
    - What was the outcome? Bought a remanufactured engine on eBay and had it installed.

First sign of the problem was coolant overflowing out of theoverflow
    reservoir.

Model
    2015 Genesis Coupe 3.8, 2016 Kawasaki ZX14R SE
    I had a 2014 Sonata SE 2.0T. The infamous lower end bearing(s) went at about 17k miles. The 2nd engine only took a couple days to get put in. Remember this was 4 years ago when this recall was just kinda getting started. I honestly don't know if the 2nd engine was a short or long block. I'm guessing short, because the head gasket was bad from the "git-go". I dove it home and it was over heating. They replaced that engine, or top end and all was fine for the next 30k until I returned (the lease) the car and bought a 2013 Gen Coupe R-Spec.

I sold cars art the dealership the dealership and took alot of crap for "blowing" up 2 engines...lol. For the better part of the 30k on the "good" engine, I ran the Lap3 UC, intake, hi-flow midpipe. It never gave me any issues and ran great. I actually put the same Lap3 in my Gen Coupe 2.0T, with the expected and advertised results. A guy on here and the Hyundai Forums, Bonsai, wanted my used Lap3 so I sent it to him almost 2 months ago at the agreed upon price, and he has never paid me, so beware of him. More on that when I have a few more posts.

ominousone

Certified Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Quote Originally Posted by ominousone View Post
    A guy on here and the Hyundai Forums, Bonsai, wanted my used Lap3 so I sent it to him almost 2 months ago at the agreed upon price, and he has never paid me, so beware of him. More on that when I have a few more posts.
    ominousone
    Ship after payment received as there are scammers all over. He's relatively new but need to keep an eye on him and if in fact no payment he should be banned, but could always come back on under an alias.

Years ago purchased a modified ecu for one of my cars from a fellow in Naples, got it in and resistors burnt, no money back. Took him to court via phone and he was found guilty, but no money back, so a lien was placed on his residence, great, but still no money.

The world is full of undesirables.
    Last edited by Turbonut; 04-04-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Guys, I have such a question, none of you had experience using mobile applications for car inspection? How it works ? I came across one such application, driveroo , which is designed for inspection and maintenance of cars. Just mention the online journal of the state of the car. Sounds interesting.
    Last edited by Gorgc; Yesterday at 06:05 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546