Car sounds like an old wooden ship
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: Car sounds like an old wooden ship

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX

Car sounds like an old wooden ship

Noticed an issue about three months ago. I have a 2012 EX, 104k miles. Whenever I am coming to a stop or am sitting still and turn my wheel, my car sounds like an old wooden ship. Sounds like the noise is coming from primarily the drivers side front. I recently replaced my front struts, strut bearings, outer tie rods, ball joints and sway bar end links as routine maintenance. Noise is still there... Thinking control arm bushings? Any help is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    That sounds like it's coming from the steering column. Look into the clockspring.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6_Keith View Post
    That sounds like it's coming from the steering column. Look into the clockspring.
    Could it be the plastic steering coupler as well? There was a TSB on them because they'd shred and fall apart.
    Dynojet: 294 whp/305 torque/24lbs boost with a custom BTR tune with full bolt-ons.
    2012 Optima EX-T Spicy Red Showroom https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/4...-showroom.html w/ the following MODs: 845 Motorsports FMIC|845 Motorsports 4" Intake|845 Motorsports Charge Pipe|Nameless Midpipe|Nameless Downpipe|Synapse V3 BOV|BTR Custom Tune|Magnaflow Exhaust|Saikou Michi OCC's|Ultra Racing FSTB|kSport Coilovers|R1 Concepts rotors|and MORE...

7. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements