Kia Optima Forums banner

Spare Tire?

Tags
spare tire
6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  PaFromFL 
#1 ·
Purchased a 2012 EX Turbo on Tuesday, and was told the 2012 model did not have a spare tire. The salesman was going to then show me the air compressor/kit in the spare compartment, and to our surprise, there was a full size spare. Was he wrong, or was I lucky?

#8 ·
I have one.

#10 · (Edited)
Tire puncture

Thanks for the thread guys. Walked out to go to the dentist and was greeted by a nail in my tire (EX NON-Turbo).

Hope the kit works, and that it does not damage the tire like some tire-inflation compounds.

It's a totally repairable tread puncture, so before I go using the kit I am going to call the dealer to see if Kia service will come out and plug it or exactly what the procedure involves. I was always taught to "Never make it worse".

#11 ·
I used the tire mobility kit. It worked great, and I was on my way to the service station for a plug.
BTW: If you call roadside assist they will tow your car to the dealer for a tire plug. So, using the kit is a good option if you are in an unsafe area and need to get out of there. HOWEVER: a new can of the fancy tire sealant is $40 at the dealer. So, if u are NOT in a hurry, and in a safe place (like not in the middle of I-95), then let Kia tow it.

#12 ·
Took my car in today (first service 4350k). After the nail in the tire and using the "Tire Mobility Kit", the sealant caused the tire to go out of balance. The tech ended up scraping out the sealant on the inside of the tire, balanced it, and after changing the oil I was on my way. It cost $40 to replace the special can of sealant the hooks to the compressor. I gladly paid it, as a new tire is $130 minimum.

Fairfax Kia took good care of me and got me out of there on time, and for a grand total of $42. (it is not Kia's fault I picked up a nail). The $2 is an oil recycling fee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.