$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]

[SX-T] : Looking for brakes
$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for brakes

Shuttle Driver
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Looking to but f r rotors and pads for my 2015 Optima sx turbo. What do you recomend? Slotted, cross drilled, both...?
    Preferably Canadian vendor. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Tesla
    Model
    Model X
    Trim
    P100D
    Please send me an email with what you are looking for, and I would be happy to quote you.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    I don't actually recommend slotted, drilled or any of that... I had a set and it was noisier than OEM brakes and ate through the brakes...
    For pads, I personally really like Hawk HPS since they're really great performers both cold and hot with long life to them. I hated green stuff as they barely lasted....
    HID conversion (4300K), Led bumper reflectors
    LED cup holder
    Sound deadening
    Saiko Michi OCC-S1
    Power folding mirror

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    Today's pad compounds don't outgas light the old ones did, and really don't need slotting or cross-drilling. It's looks only really. Also, for stopping power, you want to maximize the surface area of the rotor, so cutting away slots or holes reduces the contact area to the pad.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    The reason the rotors are slotted and cross drilled is not only to aid in evacuating the brake dust created when braking, but to also help cool the rotor down, as there is more surface area with the slots and holes, and therefore cools faster, mitigating brake fade. There is a purpose, and it's not just for looks.

Now, that being said, most daily street driving will not work the brakes hard enough to fade them, and therefore, you probably won't see much difference. The difference comes readily apparent when there is a lot of frequent and/or hard braking - like autocross or road racing technical courses. So for a daily street car, it would come down to preference. I myself prefer the slotted and cross drilled rotors because I drive hard, and in the case of these cars, it's a lot of weight to slow down, and I prefer to error on the side of caution.

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have...!!
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX w/Premium Technology pkg
    Formula 1 cars are drilled only, and mostly for weight savings. They're on carbon fiber brakes and going from 300kph to 80kph in 60 feet. That's gotta be brutal on your neck

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Hence neck restraints!!
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6_Keith View Post
    Today's pad compounds don't outgas light the old ones did, and really don't need slotting or cross-drilling. It's looks only really. Also, for stopping power, you want to maximize the surface area of the rotor, so cutting away slots or holes reduces the contact area to the pad.
    This is completely wrong. It reduces dusting and aids in cooling, which is extremely important if you are driving hard, doing AutoX, racing (quarter-mile, etc.), or just want your brakes to actually perform better and with less dust issues.
    2013 Optima SXL - Titanium

Chicago's Dedicated Auto Detailing

11. The Following User Says Kudos to Laguna For This Useful Post:

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Exactly. Energy cannot just disappear. it has to go somewhere. The rotational energy is transferred to thermal energy through friction. The only way to transfer the thermal energy is dispensation of the heat. The faster and more efficiently you can cool the brakes, the better they will work.
    [IMG] [/IMG]

13. The Following User Says Kudos to K5Turbo For This Useful Post:

Riding Lawn Mower
    In non fantasy world driving slotted or drilled rotors wear down brake pads much quicker. These products are for those who live in a fantasy world only and or who have nothing better to do than change out pads and or rotors much more frequently.
    In fact drilled or slotted rotors stop your vehicle more slowly as well. The minimal heat benefits wouldn't be seen until 1000 degrees and higher. These temps are never seen in street driving conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by K5Turbo View Post
    The reason the rotors are slotted and cross drilled is not only to aid in evacuating the brake dust created when braking, but to also help cool the rotor down, as there is more surface area with the slots and holes, and therefore cools faster, mitigating brake fade. There is a purpose, and it's not just for looks.

Now, that being said, most daily street driving will not work the brakes hard enough to fade them, and therefore, you probably won't see much difference. The difference comes readily apparent when there is a lot of frequent and/or hard braking - like autocross or road racing technical courses. So for a daily street car, it would come down to preference. I myself prefer the slotted and cross drilled rotors because I drive hard, and in the case of these cars, it's a lot of weight to slow down, and I prefer to error on the side of caution.

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have...!!

15. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast