$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]

A New Gas Mileage Post
$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Gas Mileage Post

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Ex (premium package)

A New Gas Mileage Post

Hi, everyone.

I've just bought my 2019 Kia Optima Ex with the 1.6L turbo engine. It's rated 27/37mpg. So far, with about 300 miles on the odometer, half of which is highway, I'm averaging 30mpg. Driving with the sunroof open is probably making things worse.

I hadn't seen any recent posts about gas mileage, so I figured it might be time to renew the topic.

What have you done to increase your mileage? Is there a certain brand of gas that seems to do better than others?

Also, regarding driving modes, mine has Comfort, Sport, and Smart. We all know what Sport is, and Comfort, though not defined in the manual, is probably somewhat the opposite of Sport, and should give better mileage. Smart is supposed to intelligently switch between the two, depending on circumstances. Has anyone noticed if Comfort has better mpg than Smart, or vice versa?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    For mixed driving the 1.6l is only rated for 31 mpg. So after you break it in around 1000 miles you will probably increase a bit. I'm only getting 22-23mpg in my 2013 sx 2.0 turbo. So I'd be pretty happy with 30. Lol!

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    What you see is what you get.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    Ex
    I have the 17 optima hybrid, which is rated 39/42/46 (city/combine/highway). This year they changed the label to (39/41/45), same car actually..... My commute is short and have combined traffic, with little bit more of city traffic. I am getting only 32 in winter, and 39-40 for now. So it's pretty general case to underachieve.

The EPA rated MPG usually will require you to drive in constant speed, ideal start/stop situations, no radio, no AC, no fans, no winds, no headlights, no surprises, no sudden red lights, no a**hole drivers on the road, etc etc. So you'll never get that MPG in real world.

Regarding what mode gives best MPG, I think keeping the default mode will get you the best MPG.

Based on what you have described, you are doing fine for the MPG you get. Just enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by vamdemon; 05-22-2019 at 12:20 AM.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Ex (premium package)
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate the encouragement. But I'm sure someone out there must have experimented before, and not just been happy to take what they get. I know on previous cars that I've owned, the brand of gas made a difference. I'll hold out hope that someone who has experimented will chime in here. And I'll plan to do some experiments of my own. Thanks again.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Due to ethanol blending most of the gasoline comes from the same tanker trucks now. I highly doubt you will see any differences from different gas stations. Like others have said the EPA mpgs are rated during ideal conditions. Modern vehicles are so heavy even elevation changes will result in massively lower mpgs. You might have wanted to purchase a 1985 Honda civic vs a modern automobile. You are probably even using ac or heat with the auto heating and cooling and you don't even realize it. Epa uses no heating or cooling and close the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by NewAtKia View Post
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate the encouragement. But I'm sure someone out there must have experimented before, and not just been happy to take what they get. I know on previous cars that I've owned, the brand of gas made a difference. I'll hold out hope that someone who has experimented will chime in here. And I'll plan to do some experiments of my own. Thanks again.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Ex (premium package)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freetree123 View Post
    Due to ethanol blending most of the gasoline comes from the same tanker trucks now. I highly doubt you will see any differences from different gas stations. Like others have said the EPA mpgs are rated during ideal conditions. Modern vehicles are so heavy even elevation changes will result in massively lower mpgs. You might have wanted to purchase a 1985 Honda civic vs a modern automobile. You are probably even using ac or heat with the auto heating and cooling and you don't even realize it. Epa uses no heating or cooling and close the windows.
    Thanks, Freetree.

Yeah, my goal isn't to match or exceed the EPA rating. I just want to get the mileage I can get. I'll do some experiments and report back here.

Thanks again.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    2018 Optima EX
    Trim
    EX
    2018 EX with 2.4l getting 32.5MPG combined (probably a little more hwy than city, but sometimes that hwy is stop and go traffic). I keep the mode set to ECO all the time.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    Ex
    Actually I have tried Costco gas and Shell gas before. MPG-wise I don't feel any significant difference.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Ex (premium package)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpoffen View Post
    2018 EX with 2.4l getting 32.5MPG combined (probably a little more hwy than city, but sometimes that hwy is stop and go traffic). I keep the mode set to ECO all the time.
    rpoffen, 32.5 seems really good! And that is very helpful to know about the ECO mode. Mine doesn't have ECO. It only has Comfort, Sport, and Smart. Smart switches back and forth between Comfort and Smart, depending on how hard you're pressing the gas pedal. I was playing with that yesterday. There's a certain mode for the screen behind the steering wheel. It will tell you which driving style you're in, and I found that when you're in Smart, it puts a gauge up there with "economic" on the left and "aggressive" on the right, and above that, it will say either "Smart - Comfort" or "Smart - Sport" depending on how you're driving. When it's in "Smart - Comfort" mode, the gauge is on the economic end, and when you're in "Smart - Sport", it's on the aggressive end. I had already thought that Comfort was probably similar to ECO, and this confirms it. So if I keep it in Comfort mode, I'll have my best chances of good mileage.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast