$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]

A New Gas Mileage Post - Page 4
$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Gas Mileage Post

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Ex (premium package)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytheplumber View Post
    I had a 17 hybrid did not really like it. it was my 6th Optima so i got the 19 EX with the 1.6 turbo and it is awesome i really did not save with the hybrid the EX get good enough gas mileage and much more power
    We didn't even consider the hybrid. Combustion engines are so efficient these days, it doesn't seem worthwhile to put the money into a hybrid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Lot Attendant
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by NewAtKia View Post
    I love the effort and attention to detail! How do you track it? Do you have an app, or a pencil and paper? And do you trust the mileage numbers on the car's screen, or do you do your own calculations?
    I use an app called Road Trip (iOS only, no Android version but I reckon there are plenty of similar apps available for Android users--however I don't know of any to recommend since I'm an iPhone user--LOL), to track my fuel/mileage costs (the app can be used to track other vehicle costs (e.g., maintenance/service but I use it mainly for tracking fuel/mileage). It can also calculate/track cost per mile, cost per day, gallons pumped, break down the numbers over a monthly/yearly/custom time period, separate costs and miles based on gas grade used, and you can back up your data either as a CSV-format data file and/or sync with Dropbox.

I do my own calculations (via the Road Trip app, that is)--I find that the fuel economy calculations shown on the vehicle display reads ~1 mpg higher than actual.

4. The Following User Says Kudos to tonester For This Useful Post:

Lot Attendant
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    We didn't even consider the hybrid. Combustion engines are so efficient these days, it doesn't seem worthwhile to put the money into a hybrid.
    LOL I was considering the Optima PHEV when I was shopping for an Optima last year but the combination of being quoted a really great price on a 2018 SXL (meaning, the price difference between the SXL and the PHEV was too great for my budget) plus the PHEV didn't have the Surround View Monitor option made me go with the SXL.

6. The Following User Says Kudos to tonester For This Useful Post:

7. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Ex (premium package)
    My first experiment yesterday. Here are the details:

Model: 2019 Optima EX (1.6T)
    Odometer: 525
    Brand of Gas: BP
    Air Conditioner: On all the time
    Sunroof and windows: Closed
    Cruise Control: On, nearly all the time, set to the speed limit
    Drive Mode: Smart, though Cruise Control seemed to keep it in Smart-Comfort
    Distance: 20.8 miles
    Interstate driving: 17.3 miles
    Non-interstate driving: 3.5 miles
    Average mileage, according to the trip computer (reset just before beginning the drive): 35.5mpg
    Impressions: I'm happy with this! I saw the average get up to 37.0 before I got off interstate. I bet if it was purely interstate driving, I'd average above 37.0. Not bad for a first attempt.

Riding Lawn Mower
    I'm seriously looking at this engine with the ex. Did a ton of research on the dct and it seems it would be fine for my application. I drive enough that the fuel savings should more than pay for any additional maintenance down the road.

Wondering if you ever had the high transmission heat warning pop up in everyday driving? It's not like I'm going to tow anything but I do sit in stop and go commute traffic quite frequently. Umm more like every time I drive 🤣

Average mileage, according to the trip computer (reset just before beginning the drive): 35.5mpg
    Impressions: I'm happy with this! I saw the average get up to 37.0 before I got off interstate. I bet if it was purely interstate driving, I'd average above 37.0. Not bad for a first attempt.

Lot Attendant
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL

That's great! Curious though--exactly what speed did you set the cruise control to, and what was the average overall mph reported by the trip computer at the end of your test?

Yeah you should be able to achieve even better numbers on longer drives where most of the driving is highway; I say this because in my 2.0T on one of my drives I got 34 mpg on a 183 mile trip on mostly highway driving while maintaining (for the most part) a speed of ~72 mph.
    Last edited by tonester; 05-30-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Ex (premium package)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freetree123 View Post
    I'm seriously looking at this engine with the ex. Did a ton of research on the dct and it seems it would be fine for my application. I drive enough that the fuel savings should more than pay for any additional maintenance down the road.

Wondering if you ever had the high transmission heat warning pop up in everyday driving? It's not like I'm going to tow anything but I do sit in stop and go commute traffic quite frequently. Umm more like every time I drive 🤣
    I like this engine so far. I haven't had any heat warnings. The only problem (characteristic, I guess) of the transmission that I don't like is the tendency to roll back if you take your foot off the brake while sitting on a hill. The AutoHold feature takes care of that, though. Too bad AutoHold isn't default-on.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Ex (premium package)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonester View Post
    That's great! Curious though--exactly what speed did you set the cruise control to, and what was the average overall mph reported by the trip computer at the end of your test?

Yeah you should be able to achieve even better numbers on longer drives where most of the driving is highway; I say this because in my 2.0T on one of my drives I got 34 mpg on a 183 mile trip on mostly highway driving while maintaining (for the most part) a speed of ~72 mph.
    Just from memory, I'm not sure the trip computer tells me an average speed. It does give me a total time and a total distance, though. But I forgot to look at that, so I can't even reverse-engineer the speed. :-(

But I can say that I set Cruise Control to 65mph on the entire interstate portion of the trip. On the short stretch before interstate, it was stop-and-go traffic. And on the short stretch after interstate, I was behind a very slow dump truck that I wanted desperately to get around.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Wow it rolls back on hills? Yeah autohold is pretty awesome. We just bought my wife a 2019 ex Sorrento and it has lost the latest saftey and convenience features. I was looking at the 19 optima ex (I have a 13 sx with 100k). But the dct got me super worried as I looked at it more.

The manual says you need to have the dct transmission fluid inspected every 45k miles. That sounds super annoying. What are your plans for that inspection? Are you planning to have the fluid replaced? And how long do you plan to keep the car? I usually keep my cars at least 100k. Try to keep them for 120k if I can stand it. I've also heard horror stories about repair and replacement costs. It does seem Kia is rolling out a bit of a r&d car here with that dct. I'd frankly rather just have a traditional 8 speed transmission at this point.

Thanks for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Freetree123 View Post

I like this engine so far. I haven't had any heat warnings. The only problem (characteristic, I guess) of the transmission that I don't like is the tendency to roll back if you take your foot off the brake while sitting on a hill. The AutoHold feature takes care of that, though. Too bad AutoHold isn't default-on.

Lot Attendant
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    ...I don't like is the tendency to roll back if you take your foot off the brake while sitting on a hill. The AutoHold feature takes care of that, though. Too bad AutoHold isn't default-on.
    I'm guess that the reason why it's not default-on is because Auto Hold works by applying the electronic parking brake and if you manually engage the EPB (e.g., when parking on a hill/slope) it wouldn't make sense for Auto Hold to be on since you intend for the EPB to be applied for more than a brief amount of time.

Speaking of Auto Hold--although it does come in handy while sitting on a hill or slope, it's more typically used in situations where you're stopped for an indeterminate but somewhat brief amount of time--e.g., waiting in a long line of cars while going through a drive-thru restaurant. For roll back concerns I believe our Optimas have Hill-start Assist Control (HAC) to take care of that--it works by applying the brakes automatically (while on a steep hill), releasing the brakes when the gas pedal is pressed or after about 2 seconds; if your car has it and you think it's not working correctly, then I suggest having a mechanic take a look at it. Note also that the owner's manual states that HAC does not replace the need to apply brakes (i.e.., press the brake pedal) while stopped on an incline.

15. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast