I’m going to be getting rid of my 2012 SX in the next few months. On the outside, the car is in great shape. A clear bra has kept it free of stone chips. I am hoping to get a slightly above Blue Book payout for it.
But...I have an issue on two of the pizza wheels. There is a corrosion issue. It’s really gotten bad on one wheel in the past year, and now I see it happening on a second wheel. See photos.
Here are my options as I see them:
- Do nothing. But I think this will take down the value of the car, because the buyer will want to pay a lower price.
- Take them to a pro to refinish. But I am guessing a pro will charge a couple hundred per wheel, and that is a lot to sink into it at this point.
- Get the stickers (attached photo from eBay) to cover up some of the damage. However, these won’t go to the corners and edges of the wheel, so it will only partially cover up the issue. The good news with this option is that the stickers are only about $30 on eBay.
- I could do a little DIY. I could sand down the areas a little bit, and attempt to cover up the issues with some sort of paint. This might make it look worse though. (This could also be done along with the stickers)
- Plasti Dip. But I’m not sure how this will affect the value of the car. Will some buyers think it looks tacky? Will they be concerned about the durability, and offer me less for the car?
Any suggestions? (And any technical tips if I decide to try #4, doing some DIY refinishing?)