What should I do? Wheel corrosion before I get rid of the car
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: What should I do? Wheel corrosion before I get rid of the car

Learner's Permit

What should I do? Wheel corrosion before I get rid of the car

I’m going to be getting rid of my 2012 SX in the next few months. On the outside, the car is in great shape. A clear bra has kept it free of stone chips. I am hoping to get a slightly above Blue Book payout for it.

But...I have an issue on two of the pizza wheels. There is a corrosion issue. It’s really gotten bad on one wheel in the past year, and now I see it happening on a second wheel. See photos.

Here are my options as I see them:
    1. Do nothing. But I think this will take down the value of the car, because the buyer will want to pay a lower price.
    2. Take them to a pro to refinish. But I am guessing a pro will charge a couple hundred per wheel, and that is a lot to sink into it at this point.
    3. Get the stickers (attached photo from eBay) to cover up some of the damage. However, these won’t go to the corners and edges of the wheel, so it will only partially cover up the issue. The good news with this option is that the stickers are only about $30 on eBay.
    4. I could do a little DIY. I could sand down the areas a little bit, and attempt to cover up the issues with some sort of paint. This might make it look worse though. (This could also be done along with the stickers)
    5. Plasti Dip. But I’m not sure how this will affect the value of the car. Will some buyers think it looks tacky? Will they be concerned about the durability, and offer me less for the car?

Any suggestions? (And any technical tips if I decide to try #4, doing some DIY refinishing?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What should I do? Wheel corrosion before I get rid of the car-d7068166-bd18-483a-88ab-4ae35f19aee6.jpg   What should I do? Wheel corrosion before I get rid of the car-07ef720c-69e7-4e84-a5f4-baf5b9d3df09.jpg   What should I do? Wheel corrosion before I get rid of the car-0cdc3dbd-da9f-44c1-a2db-97a8cce7ee42.jpeg  
    mjmmjm5
    aka Michael
    2012 Optima SX
    Cleveland, OH

3M clear bra on hood, bumper, fenders, lights
    Blue LED dome and map lights
    Red LED door pocket lights
    Corsa Blue painted KIA badges
    Metal dead pedal
    Red LED cupholders
    Painted calipers - blue

Video tutorial: How to replace weak door pocket lights with bright LED strips

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Senior Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Just put it up for sale as the wheels are and if one were to negotiate the price because of the wheels, they can purchase new/refurbished wheels on ebay as low as $149 ea. shipped.

Now, if you believe that the "damaged" wheels will reduce the price more than $300, purchase the wheels, put them on the car and sell you old wheels.

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    LX
    Trim
    Bronze Metallic
    If your trading to a dealer it sounds like that is all they have to worry about. Part of doing business. If your trying to sell outright wait and see what is said. After all your in northern Ohio and we get snow. Sure who would buy it the rims would be the last of their worries. The least part of replace. The rest of the car being clean and no paint chips should make the deal... Paint work is not cheap.........

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    I have brand new 18 inch rims and brand new snow tires I'll sell for $500. I bought them from discount tire in October 2018 but I'm buying a 2019 ex that needs 17 inch tires vs the 2013 sx 18 inch tires.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmmjm5 View Post
    ...Any suggestions? (And any technical tips if I decide to try #4, doing some DIY refinishing?)
    I had the exact same corrosion on some aluminum wheels and decided to scrape off the plastic layer above it and sand it down before spray-painting some clear coat onto it.
    I got to admit the sanded aluminum looked really horrible, but when I spray-painted the clear coat onto it, it miraculously looked better then when I first bought them. (used)

Really simple and fantastic results. Just sand in the direction of any natural grooves in the wheel and keep the wet paint away from dust while it dries.
    Be sure to mask off the rubber tire before spraying to keep clear coat off of it.
    Last edited by Infrasonic; 05-20-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    LX
    Trim
    Bronze Metallic
    See what this place charges........... https://www.dentwizard.com/

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Tesla
    Model
    Model X
    Trim
    P100D
    Hey Michael, I would just sell the car as is. If the buyer wants to negotiate because of the wheel damage or corrosion, just knock off a couple hundred dollars, but it would still be less than you spending that money to repair them or replace them.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements