Speaker Upgrade
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: Speaker Upgrade

Speaker Upgrade

I'm on the fence about a speaker upgrade. I'm not sure if I should just add a sub woofer in the back or replace the door panel speakers. I've had an audio installer guy say that the stock speakers on a 2018 optima LX are better than average and only need a DSP for an improvement. Anyone that has changed their speakers or what not, any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Based out of a Top-Secret bunker in an undisclosed location
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    I replaced the speakers in my 2013 LX, but that's 5 years off from your car...

All I'd say is if your door speakers have mylar cones or better, you're fine. If your speakers have fiber/paper cones, upgrade. If you can, measure the impedance of the door speakers as well.

A subwoofer can only do so much, you need good audio processing, and sound isolation as well.

I use an old Galaxy S5 as my head unit, with specialized audio processing apps, and I've installed dynamat in all my doors. Those have improved my own vehicle's audio quality immensely, but you have a different vehicle, so your upgrade path will be different.

Best of luck!
    ZER0

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    I have a 2016 SX with Harmon Kardon and I ended up swapping all of my speakers out and adding a sub. I felt the HK door speakers were okay but were not giving me the crispness I was looking for especially after adding amp+Sub. Things sounded somewhat muffled or mono (not that bad obviously but missing the crispness of the mids and highs).
    Once I got in and removed the door speakers and tweeters and rear I found the quality of the HKs installed weren't all that good anyhow (made in Hong Kong) and appear to be some lower end options for the brand (my opinion).
    Went with FOCAL speakers in the end and am very happy with the results. More crisp and clean for both mid and highs and a nice compliment for my sub. All without changing out the head unit (which is not an option for '16 with climate controls built into head unit).

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements