Trailer Hitch - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer Hitch

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Quote Originally Posted by cb450sc View Post
    Besides my bikes on the hitch,I have also pulled my eight foot covered trailer. I have the 1 1/4 inch with a 2 inch ball.
    CB, can you post a picture of your hitch set-up? I'm trying to picture it without any success.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    It is simply a regular 1 1/4 inch hitch, nothing special about it. The only problem I have when towing the trailer is my lighting. It blows a fuse if i turn all of the lights on. It is fine for brake and signal lights though. I therefore only use it during the day. The trailer company that installed the hitch and wiring called our local Kia and were told that the trailer lights are too much of a draw on the electrical system and he hence blow the fuse.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    It is simply a regular 1 1/4 inch hitch, nothing special about it. The only problem I have when towing the trailer is my lighting. It blows a fuse if i turn all of the lights on. It is fine for brake and signal lights though. I therefore only use it during the day. The trailer company that installed the hitch and wiring called our local Kia and were told that the trailer lights are too much of a draw on the electrical system and he hence blow the fuse.
    You can make all the lights work if you build a custom wire harness.

Using a new trailer plug, direct all the hot wires (Brown, Green and Yellow) to a set of relays mounted on the trailer. This will be your control circuit with one relay for each of the hot wires, it will plug in to the existing plug that you already have on the car.

Now you need to build a power circuit. Install a new HOT wire of sufficient gauge to handle all of the trailer lights on the car, where and how are up to you, but make sure you use a fuse on the wire, as close as possible to your chosen power source. Terminate this near your existing trailer plug with a flat four connector (I am assuming your trailer is using a flat four) where you wire your new HOT wire to Brown, Green, and Yellow.

Finally, on your trailer, take the brown wire from the existing trailer wiring harness, cut it and attach the ends to the LOAD terminals on your Brown relay. Do the same for Yellow and Green.

Now, when you step on the brakes, use signals or lights, you are not powering them through your existing trailer hookup, you are only powering the relays. All the power for your lights is going through your new harness, with on/off being controlled by the relays closing/opening.

You could also do all of this on the car side of things, just not sure how they wired in your trailer pigtail. Principle is still the same, use the signals from the harness for the control circuit of relays and let the relays pass full juice to the pigtail.

OR, now with the advent of LEDs, convert all your trailer lights to LEDs and the car should be able to handle the draw.
    Last edited by 19_Opt_SX; 03-23-2019 at 09:53 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Thanks 19.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    2018 Optima EX
    Trim
    EX
    If you switched out all the trailer lights for LED's, then you shouldn't have a problem, LED's draw less than 1/4 the power of standard incandescent bulbs.

Model
    2014 Optima EX
    There is a 2" hitch made for the Optima, it's the EcoHitch from Torquelift. I have one but have not installed it yet due to time constraints. I probably will this week due to hefting my fatbike onto my roof rack being such a pain with having the kayak racks up there already.

torkliftcentral.com/blogs/2015/08/05/2015-kia-optima-ecohitch-is-now-here/

As to voiding the warranty, that is a load of bull. It is clearly marked as a Class 1 only and would only void the warranty if you overloaded it, which they would have to show you did, probably through metal deformation. That you 'could' is not a valid argument since you 'could' with any hitch, regardless of size. I plan on only having bikes on mine, however.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12