Had Car 2 Months, Still Can't Get Comfortable In Seat
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had Car 2 Months, Still Can't Get Comfortable In Seat

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL

Had Car 2 Months, Still Can't Get Comfortable In Seat

I've had my 2013 SXL for about two months, and there's one thing keeping me from enjoying it fully; I can't for the life of me find a comfortable position in the drivers seat. No matter how much I tinker around with the power seat settings, something always seems off. Either my feet are too close, or my feet are in a good position but my arms are too far away, etc. I'll always either get pain in either the upper or lower part of my back or in my legs, depending on the location of the seat. I'm 27 years old, so I can't chock that up to old age or anything.
    i've visited countless sites and watched videos about the proper seat placement, but I still can't seem to get it right. Has anyone else had this issue, or have any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    K5
    Trim
    LX, Base
    Quote Originally Posted by Benh911f View Post
    I've had my 2013 SXL for about two months, and there's one thing keeping me from enjoying it fully; I can't for the life of me find a comfortable position in the drivers seat. No matter how much I tinker around with the power seat settings, something always seems off. Either my feet are too close, or my feet are in a good position but my arms are too far away, etc. I'll always either get pain in either the upper or lower part of my back or in my legs, depending on the location of the seat. I'm 27 years old, so I can't chock that up to old age or anything.
    i've visited countless sites and watched videos about the proper seat placement, but I still can't seem to get it right. Has anyone else had this issue, or have any advice?
    I'm assuming you've already utilized the telescopic steering column feature, yes?

Also, how tall are you? I'm 5'10" and find the wheel all the way out towards me, and the seat just about 2 or 3 clicks out of all the way back is the most comfortable for me. Maximizes leg room, while I get to retain full control of the steering column and not feel like I have to reach for it.

I have a 2013 LX, so I don't have power seats, but the same principles apply.
    Last edited by Kozentov; 05-18-2015 at 04:02 AM.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    I'm the same, 5'10", and yes, I have the wheel pulled out as far as possible. It's funny, i would actually prefer if the seat didn't provide so many options for moving it around.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    EX - Tech & Premium
    Trim
    EX
    I thought I was the only one here... my wife can't stand the lack of headrest adjustment other than height. I actually found an OK back position, but I find the side bolstering very lacking. I'm doing a long drive later this summer so we'll see how that goes.

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX Luxury
    Reading about people's gripes in the seats of the 2011-2012 before I bought mine, I figured it would be something to watch for when looking at these cars.

The moment I sat in my first Optima, I instantly felt comfortable inside. I've spent almost 40,000km in the seat, and have driven 14 hour stretches in this car with no discomfort at all. I have my seat almost all the way back, reclined in a posture friendly position since I can't roll like a gangsta with my head looking out the rear door windows, with an orangutan arm draped over the top of the wheel.

I really can't see what people are complaining about in these cars, other than the passenger seat being ridicuously low. When you have power adjustment, active headrests and tilt & telescoping steering, there should be no reason not to find a comfortable position in the Optima. The 2013+ seats are greatly improved over the '11-12 models with softer fabric and better bolstering.

I've driven my Optima on a 3000km roadtrip across the country and did it with no bodily fatigue. I'm doing the same drive again at the end of the month and actually looking forward to it, because I know I will be comfortable and able to do long stretches of driving without getting sore or needing breaks.

I'm an average guy, 5'10, 200lbs and the Optima is one of the most comfortable cars I have spent significant time in. I would put it up there with my 2008 Civic SI, which was one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned. I love the Optima's roominess and width. A pet peeve of mine is when my right knee is jammed up against the centre console, such as in a 2004-2010 Mazda 3.

I have no issues with the head rest adjustment either. I don't understand how so many people complain about comfort issues in this car. I've been so damn impressed with this car, I would replace it with another one without thinking twice.

OP, out of curiosity, what was your previous vehicle? Any comfort issues for you?

There are some blatantly uncomfortable vehicles out there (from experience), such as Mazda 2, Mazda 5, pretty much any 1997-2013 Corolla, 2011+ Ford Fiesta, Fiat 500, Chevy Cobalt etc. Notice how all of these are all compact cars though. In my case, they are uncomfortable because the seats don't go back far enough, causing my knees to sit higher and legs in an unnatural position feeling like I'm crammed in clown car.

Nissan makes some fantastic seats, however I'll tell you, the Nissan Altima is one car I cannot find a comfortable position in. Seats are amazing, it's roomy like the Optima, but I can never ever get the steering wheel adjusted to a comfortable position. It's either too high or too low and on an awkward angle. As much as I like the Altimas, that was reason enough for me not to buy one. I've worked at dealerships for over 5 years, so I have gotten to drive all sorts of cars from Smart Cars to Lamborghinis. You quickly find out what cars you like and what ones you don't, even if you're just moving them around the lot.

I'm 5'10, over 55, and no complaints over seating comfort. Sorry, but these power seats adjust every which way, and come with memory, so I don't see a general basis for complaint. Granted, comfort is subjective, personal thing.

Edit: I thought about this more on my drive home. For me, I can see an issue with driver's door arm rest position. That area seems a little wider and further away from the steering wheel than other cars. I kind of remember noticing that when I first got the car, coming from a Honda.
    Last edited by CeruleanBlue; 05-19-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX with P&T
    One of the biggest issues my wife had in my Optima was the headrest. The first thing the salesman did was literally turn it around, and it worked. The seats have not been an issue. I have drive then car from Florida to Ohio and back with no comfort issues and my ride is rough lowered on 20's.

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic717 View Post
    I thought I was the only one here... my wife can't stand the lack of headrest adjustment other than height. I actually found an OK back position, but I find the side bolstering very lacking. I'm doing a long drive later this summer so we'll see how that goes.
    I can adjust my headrests forward and back as well. Is this new for 2014?

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    EX - Tech & Premium
    Trim
    EX
    I may have to try harder with mine, I couldn't move it forward and back, just up and down :S

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    K5
    Trim
    LX, Base
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic717 View Post
    I may have to try harder with mine, I couldn't move it forward and back, just up and down :S
    I know in the 2013 LX, the headrests are only height adjustable. Not sure about the higher trim levels or newer model years though.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast