► WilliamHood "Red Sled" SX Turbo Showroom - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ► WilliamHood "Red Sled" SX Turbo Showroom

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    I pulled the trigger with the Holiday Sale and recently added my LAP3USA UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5) to my car!
    Can't say enough about how easy it was with David Chung to get it installed.

After about two weeks of running it in this wet winter weather, I can say I'm very pleased. If I'm in "sleeper mode", the engine is nice and docile. A pleasure to drive and I can feel that it seems to have better throttle response, idles fine and has a nice throttle map (I also NEVER drive in ECO mode). When I want to "wake her up", I'm very impressed by how much the car pulls and shifts.

As I nice side benefit and partly due to my current crop of engine modifications (basically, opening up the intake and exhaust systems), I'm also getting about 2+ MPG better mileage as a daily driver.

Update: 5/2017
    I updated to the Stage 1.5+ (free upgrade after a few months of ownership) and really, really like how this ECU tune feels!
    Last edited by williamhood; 04-25-2018 at 11:01 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 82K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...
    (See my Showroom for details)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    So, finally got around to messing with my car again (just built a new house, moved in and "feathered the nest" for the wife).

Did a few things (Long overdue) with some more to come. Yes, I plan on putting up some new pictures after a good wash (sorry for the delay).

First CF Mirror covers:
    Just installed these from the K5OptimaStore. I think they look great. Due to how hard it was to remove my red OEM mirror covers, I boned up on some Plastidip techniques (never used it before - Newbie) and I just left them on the car. I sprayed PD over the edges and also the clear LED turn signal covers with 8-10 coats of PD (15 min between coats, 8 hour final dry). I then precisely cut the gap between the mirror cover and the LED turn signal covers with an Xacto knife to ensure it would peel properly and removed only that portion. I then carefully applied the CF covers over the OEM covers (after dry fitting them a couple of times to get the technique down). I like the final look. The quality seems very good, the already applied 3M tape (highly recommended) was excellent and David was very fast to ship these when they came back into stock.

Second, Re-Badged my Car:
    Thanks to K5OptimaStore, I finally re-badged (Front/Rear only) my '12 SX with the Chrome Carbon Fiber style 3.0 K badges. My OEM front badge had started to peel and rather than put OEM badges back on, I went with these. Because these are the official Korean logo used in Korea, I feel it's still "in the family". I'm rather proud of my car and proud of Kia for making it so I resisted changing it to any other badge (personal choice) because I still wanted to be a kind of "brand ambassador" to the masses and how they ought to think about this brand. Keep in mind that there is no actual carbon fiber in this particular badge, only a vinyl decal that mimics the CF look applied to the chrome logo - which is fine with me. I'd like to have seen an option to have some clear gloss applied to that part of the logo (at an extra cost - I'd pay it) for some better UV protection from fading of that part of the logo.
    Anyway, I found the best way to get the badges off was to use a common hair dryer on high heat moving it from side-to-side until it is nice and hot. Then I used an old plastic credit card to get under the edges and a plastic trim popper tool to help wedge it off. Used Goo-Gone to clean up the old adhesive, 90% alcohol to clean up the painted metal area, dried it with the hair dryer on warm and attached the badges with lots of pressure working from the center outwards. That technique worked great for me. YMMV.

► WilliamHood "Red Sled" SX Turbo Showroom-mvimg_20180428_104816.jpg ► WilliamHood "Red Sled" SX Turbo Showroom-img_20180428_104841.jpg ► WilliamHood "Red Sled" SX Turbo Showroom-mvimg_20180425_094843.jpg

Next up is the Gen II LED Headlight Eyeline kit from the K5OptimaStore.
    Last edited by williamhood; 04-28-2018 at 09:09 PM.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Kudos to williamhood For This Useful Post:

Nice work

6. The Following User Says Kudos to FLnative For This Useful Post:

7. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX 2.0
    Very nice William! Ive been debating getting those covers since I have a CF hood now. So with the covers, you still had some gap and could see under? Just by the blinker?

You need some smoke window visors bad! And some wheels with a little less chrome! haha
    Dynojet: 294 whp/305 torque/24lbs boost with a custom BTR tune with full bolt-ons.
    2012 Optima EX-T Spicy Red Showroom https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/4...-showroom.html w/ the following MODs: 845 Motorsports FMIC|845 Motorsports 4" Intake|845 Motorsports Charge Pipe|Nameless Midpipe|Nameless Downpipe|Synapse V3 BOV|BTR Custom Tune|Magnaflow Exhaust|Saikou Michi OCC's|Ultra Racing FSTB|kSport Coilovers|R1 Concepts rotors|and MORE...

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    Well, it happened to me!

She started an occasional slight knock about a month ago that slowly become more constant. I thought (hoped really) that it was the heat shield on my turbo getting loose and that all I need do was to tighten it up. Alas, no. It was "the rattle of death"!

I have many mods and didn't take anything off. I took my extensive maintenance log/paperwork with me but they didn't need it. She failed the test and I will be getting a new long-block replacement. They will move over my existing turbo, high-pressure fuel pump and intake system to the new engine. He even offered to move over ALL my engine mods from the old to the new engine - for free! I also got a new 2019 Kia Optima LX as my free rental car.

The tech was really cool and we talked a lot about the recall and what they are seeing and suspecting is the issue. While the debris issue was likely real in the beginning, the real suspect is the oil pump/balance shaft assembly. Something starts binding, the rotor plate gets bent and the engine likely is not pumping oil as well as it should and this causes the failure from oil starvation. It has happened to perfectly maintained engines (like mine) with both low and high miles. HOPEFULLY, they have figured this out and have a new, redesigned unit in place for the long-block. All internals are new and of the latest versions (2015 is the last MY for this engine in production), while the block itself might be new or might be re-manufactured and fully inspected. I was also told that the new engine will have unlimited miles and unlimited years for its warranty - something I was totally not expecting!

So really, I got a "Golden Ticket" with the situation! The time-frame could be a few weeks to four months due to the back-logged nature of the replacement. I'll keep everyone posted.

Update (12/5/18): I was just called and told that my new engine arrived and they are starting the replacement process. I will likely get my car back early next week! SWEET!

► WilliamHood "Red Sled" SX Turbo Showroom-img_20181121_163621.jpg

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    Today I picked up my car with the new engine (at 76,552 miles) under recall SC147!

As promised, the Kia tech moved over all my engine mods (minus the HKS M40XL plugs, I was going to replace them soon as I had over 20K miles on them). On the drive home, when I got into it a little bit, I heard a loud boost leak. Upon inspection, they totally forgot to tighten one clamp (located top of the inter-cooler) and it popped off. No biggie. A thorough inspection by me leads me to believe they did a pretty good job and I'm pleased! Time will tell!

The other updates I did besides the mandatory Kia ECU update (which now gives me unlimited miles/unlimited time on the new engine) is the turbo oil line (SA300), the ACU wiring extension (SC165) and a new serpentine belt (replacing the original belt after 6.5 years). Including the free rental car (2019 Optima LX) for 11 days, I paid a total of $71.49 ($50.93 for the belt, $20.56 for gas in the rental car). Not too bad!!
    Last edited by williamhood; 12-23-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: grammar

11. The Following User Says Kudos to williamhood For This Useful Post:

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Tesla
    Model
    Model X
    Trim
    P100D
    Quote Originally Posted by williamhood View Post
    Today I picked up my car with the new engine (at 76,552 miles) under recall SC147! As promised, the Kia tech moved over all my engine mods (minus the HKS M40XL plugs, I was going to replace them soon as I had over 20K miles on them). On the drive home, when I got into it a little bit, I heard a loud boost leak. Upon inspection, they totally forgot to tighten one clamp (located top of the inter-cooler) and it popped off. No biggie. A thorough inspection by me leads me to believe they did a pretty good job and I'm pleased! Time will tell! The other updates I did besides the Kia ECU update (which gives me now unlimited miles/unlimited time on the new engine) is the turbo oil line (SA300), the ACU wiring extension (SC165) and a new serpentine belt (replacing the original belt after 6.5 years). Including the free rental car (2019 Optima LX) for 11 days, I paid a total of $71.49 ($50.93 for the belt, $20.56 for gas in the rental car). Not too bad!!
    Wow what a great turnout to a crappy situation. Glad to hear you got your car back, and fixed the small leak too.

Like you said, not bad at all!

13. The Following User Says Kudos to K5 Optima Store For This Useful Post:

14. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234