2013 Kia Optima SXL MPG vs the 2014 SXL
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Kia Optima SXL MPG vs the 2014 SXL

Blog Entries

2013 Kia Optima SXL MPG vs the 2014 SXL

Just was curious of any of you have noticed the MPG discrepancy between the 2013 SXL and the 2014 SXL. The 2013 SXL, like the previous 2 years is rated at 22 City/34 Hwy/26 average. The 2014, using the identical motor and transmission is now rated at 20 City/31 Hwy/24 average. The reason is the 2013 sticker has an inflated MPG listed. It is actually false advertisement. This is what KIA/Hyundai were sued for in 2012 and they paid out $775 million, mostly in gas cards. I noticed in my 2013 the mileage is much closer to the 2014 ratings. In California I am averaging around 24 MPG in the ECO mode and I drive about 85-90% on the freeway. Just curious what type of mileage you guys are getting. I really like the car just a bit disappointed in the MPG.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Model
    K5
    Trim
    SX Prem & Tech
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I doubt there will be any difference between a 13 and a 14 since i think everything is the same as far as the powertrain stuff goes. However, 13 and up models got different spark plugs in them, which might reduce the mpg juuuust a little bit. But its a good thing though as one step colder plugs will protect your motor better as long as they are gapped properly. Some people blew their motors when their motor was stock because their spark plug in cylinder 2 blew. So the one step colder plugs will help better to prevent that from happening. Im not sure which gas youre running but try premium if you havent. Even though kia advertises optimas and sonatas by saying turbo motors can safely run on regular gas, they still have turbo motors, which means premium is preferred to further protect the motor. And some people actually see better gas mileage. Even for me, when i do 100% hwy driving, i can get over 530 miles in a tank. Mathematically, i should get around 600 miles if i actually get more than 30mpg but i speed and push my car a few times to pass someone and still get over 530 miles in a tank. Before on regular, i could never get past 450 miles.
    2012 Kia Optima SX Tech & Prem Touring Pkg. Satin Metal/Black 75k miles, purchased 01/07/2012
    - BTRCC 2.0.4 93 Oct Tune
    - SX-L LED DRLs
    - LED switchbacks
    - 28% tint all around, 20% sunroofs
    - Carbon Fiber 3.0 badges
    - Avital 5303L Remote Start
    - Automatic mirror fold module
    - 19" Niche milan m137
    - Nameless downpipe&midpipe
    - HKS SSQV4
    - Custom made intake made by Dysan911
    - D2 Coilovers
    - 14pc stiff rings
    - Red rear LED turn signal with resistors
    - Red footwell LEDs
    - Red painted calipers

I get about 21-22 mixed and I use 93 octane. I noticed the decrease when they finally released numbers for the '14, but I still thought the mpg was decent, so I bought it anyway. The mileage I am getting is bullshit. I am not hard on this car whatsoever and mostly use cruise when on the highway. I am probably getting about 16mpg in the city, and that is true city....block to block. My last car was a bolted and tuned mazaspeed 3, and I got better mpg while driving it harder. It was rated 18/26, and I got about 23-24 mixed and 30 hwy
    2014 SWP SX-T
    • K&N Typhoon Intake
    • Nameless Midpipert
    • 845 Motorsports FMIC

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Lot Attendant
    I have a '12 EX-T and I consistently average 19 mpg in city driving using 91. With cruise set at 65mph I get around 27 mpg. A few times I have gotten up to 30 mg but that is driving at 60mph. Before when I used 87 I was getting between 16-18 mpg.
    2012 SWP EX Turbo
    Luxon FSB
    Injen CAI
    Karbon Koncepts stiff rings
    Tinted windows
    2way remote start
    Focal 6.5 components in front, Alpine and Audison amps with Focal sub
    Kia all weather molded mats

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Tesla
    Model
    Model X
    Trim
    P100D
    Welcome to the forum!

I agree with the first members post. You will most likely not see any difference between the two!

I average now around 20-22mpg with the tune. Before I was seeing maybe 17-19mpg with my 20" wheels.

OptimaForums Veteran
    My 2013 sxl just got 34.1 mpg hand calculated. 70% highway and sitting in Houston traffic on 87 regular gas. Mostly speeds 70 mph and few quick passes around cars. So Kia has not false advertised anything. I'm gonna try 93 for one month in December and see how much it improves if any.

Like others have stated, mpg prolly won't change between years, it's just that they advertise now on the 14 model what majority of people are getting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Last edited by aceassassin13; 11-21-2013 at 08:43 AM.

I've used 87 octane regular since new. According to the car's computer I'm averaging 29.6 to 30.4 in mostly highway driving at 70 mph. I usually fill up every Sunday so I think I'll do the calculations myself on a couple tanks. Then I'll run some of that high dollar stuff to see how they compare.

The main reason we didn't get the hybrid is that when I did the numbers with mostly highway driving it would not pay for itself over a period of 250,000 miles. When I told the salesman that, he agreed that it would take more city driving for it to pay for itself.
    Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspeed View Post
    I get about 21-22 mixed and I use 93 octane. I noticed the decrease when they finally released numbers for the '14, but I still thought the mpg was decent, so I bought it anyway. The mileage I am getting is bullshit. I am not hard on this car whatsoever and mostly use cruise when on the highway. I am probably getting about 16mpg in the city, and that is true city....block to block. My last car was a bolted and tuned mazaspeed 3, and I got better mpg while driving it harder. It was rated 18/26, and I got about 23-24 mixed and 30 hwy
    Funny I am in the same boat as you I also use 93. I do not get on the car all the time either and I average 21-22 Mixed also. On the same commute with my former cars an 08 Infiniti G35x I got 20-22 Mixed and in my 08 Caliber SRT-4 I got 24-26 However it was tuned and I drove them a lot harder than I do the optima. I too find the mileage very disappointing and I think the 2014 rating is definitely what the 2013 should be rated at also.
    2013 Optima SXL - 3.0 K emblems, Rear LED bumper lights, Blind Spot system w/mirror indicator (exactly like the 2014 system),Rear parking sensors, LED interior and license plate lighting, WeatherTech Floormats

MPG's very on many different factors. I for one have the hybrid model and get about 29-30 mpg with the driving I do on a daily basis. It is about 97% city, stop sign to stop sign, light to light, up a hill down a hill, up another hill, etc. You get what I'm saying. Some might think that is very low for a hybrid model, and it is. Before I bought my 2012 hybrid, the salesman let me borrow a 2013 SX-L over night so I could see real life mpg with the driving I do. The best I could get out of it was 16-17 mpg.

I went with the hybrid over the sx-l because the MPG's were much better for me and the payments were much lower. My point is this, MPG depend on many factors, weather, hills, traffic, your foot. Owners with lx, ex, sx or sx-l models who are getting 30 mpg, imagine how high your mpg would be if you had a hybrid!

Hybrids really do get better mileage, it's the driving variables that people don't see that make you believe otherwise.
    2016 Optima Hybrid EX
    SnowWhitePearl
    Mods to come!

GONE: 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid
    Snow White Pearl
    19x8.5 Ace Alloy Convex ~ Titanium
    245/40-19 Achilles ATR Sport
    B&G S2 Sport Springs-1" Drop
    Black 3D K Emblems
    20% Tint
    Led's

Riding Lawn Mower
    The cars are the same. Kia revised their mileage figures downwards after customer complaints and related liability concerns. Th eOPtima line is not mentioned in the post below, but all the fuel economy ratings were reduced.
    Kia MPG Information for Fuel Costs - Kia Motors America

Last edited by Jamiedog; 11-21-2013 at 05:12 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast