Hello folks, returning from a long hiatus!
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello folks, returning from a long hiatus!

Hello folks, returning from a long hiatus!

So it's been seven years of owning my 2012 Optima LX. The wife drives it mostly since I mainly drive my other car - 2011 Forte5 SX, 6M. I have come to the forum now seeking info. as to why the Optima is ruining my life! ....okay, that's probably a bit overly dramatic but I've searched previous threads and their posts to see if I could relate to those member's issues but never found one that I can relate to exactly. The Dealer is also at a loss for answers. Am I able to describe the issue over this thread?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Welcome, describe the issue and see if someone can give any feedback.

I just typed out the issue, I guess I'm not proficient in keyboard, took me a while, the site told me to reload the page and then I lost my whole description. Going to bed now, I'll try again tomorrow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Okay, I’ll try to keep my description short and concise.
    May 2012 - Bought new
    Oct. 2017 - 86,161 km (53,537 mi.) just out of warranty (5yr) started experiencing “cranking but no start” sporadically. Car would eventually start after leaving it alone 10~15 mins. then trying again. Took it to Dealership, they tested charging system, checked starter draw, test for any other draws, load tested battery and checked alternator output - all found to be good. They couldn’t get any codes and couldn’t replicate the problem. Paid them $$ and went my merry way.

Sept. 2018 - 111,980 km (69,581 mi.) still experiencing same issue. Decided to replace battery with new. That didn’t help. Took it back to Dealer, they ran the same checks, AVR test, found no codes, couldn’t replicate problem, paid them $$ and left.
    Two days later, again, seems like it’s becoming more frequent, wife had to taxi to work and was late. (boy, did I hear about it!) Dealer again, AVR test, found lack of communication between vehicle immobilizer and keys. Replaced vehicle immobilizer unit assembly and reprogrammed both my keys. (the Optima LX is a turn key to start) The Service Manager pointed out to me, there is an immobilizer icon on the dash that should illuminate to confirm the correct key is trying to start the car. Paid them $$ and left.

May 2019 - 125,927 km (78,247 mi.) still experiencing same issue sporadically AND I noticed no immo. icon was illuminated on dash cluster. Wife increasingly becoming less accommodating as she has been late for work a few times because of this. Dealer couldn’t find any codes but found antenna coil has high resistance causing intermittent no start. Replaced antenna coil assembly, paid $$ and heard some assurance from Technicians that was it.

June 2019 - 127,800 km (79,411 mi.) still same, no immo. icon illuminated on dash cluster, cranking but no start. HELP!

My Optima LX is stock with the exception of the aftermarket GPS unit I ordered and installed 6 years ago from ebay folowing "Phenom" Ttread - https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/2...s-install.html

The GPS stopped working around the same time as the "cranking but no start" issue developed and then the back-up camera stopped working soon after. I am considering removing the "China-gps unit" and installing the OE radio just to eliminate that as a possible contributor to the "no start" issue. I am wondering if there is some sort of interference from tha crappy gps unit? I'm desperate....

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    If it's cranking and not turning over, it's an issue with either ignition, or fuel delivery system. The whole "letting it sit a while and it starts" would point me toward fuel filter being clogged and/or a dirty fuel tank. Have those been checked yet?

Quote Originally Posted by K5Turbo View Post
    If it's cranking and not turning over, it's an issue with either ignition, or fuel delivery system. The whole "letting it sit a while and it starts" would point me toward fuel filter being clogged and/or a dirty fuel tank. Have those been checked yet?
    No those haven't been checked yet. But would those cause the immobilizer icon not to illuminate? As I understand, if that icon does not stay illuminated when key is inserted to begin the start function, car will not turn over. I can confirm that once that icon is illuminated at the begining of starting the car, it starts like a dream.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    To my knowledge, that would not interfere with the mobilization system. I am not sure if the immobilizer disables the fuel, or ignition, or (ideally) both. maybe someone with more intimate knowledge of that system can chime in. Logically, I would look into situations that would trigger the immobilization, and diagnose from there.

Thanks K5Turbo, I'm hoping someone could relate to this AND has a solution that worked. I've been searching and read a post from "David" of K5 Optima Store that had excellent information on this issue. The Dealer pretty much replaced those components mention in his post and I'm still having the no start and no illuminated immo. icon from time to time.
    https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/1...1690-code.html

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Hopefully you can find out what is triggering the immobilization and get is sorted out.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast