$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]

2011 Optima Hybrid - Battery Questions
$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: 2011 Optima Hybrid - Battery Questions

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2011 Optima Hybrid

2011 Optima Hybrid - Battery Questions

Hi all,

My '11 Optima Hybrid only has 61k miles on it, 35k of which is the last almost 6 years. I've been working from home for 5 years hence the low miles, as it only really gets driven infrequently around town or to the airport when needed. I'm now switching jobs and will be driving about 30 miles daily. My questions are around the 12v calcium battery as well as the hybrid battery. What kind of life expectancy can I expect on them? They are both original, and while the miles aren't high, the age is nearing 8 years. I'm assuming the 12v calcium battery will need replacing sooner rather than later because of that age, where-as I probably have another 5+ years on the hybrid battery which I'm guessing I won't have the car that long.

Looking for some advise on what to do about the 12v calcium battery, mainly. The multi-point inspection 1,500 miles ago came back all green, so I expect everything with it was fine, but I don't want to be stuck on the road during my commute.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX 2.0
    Batteries are batteries and their internals can go out at any given time however, with my main Kia battery it seems to last about 36 months before it goes. As for the main hybrid battery you will get plenty of indication of issues on your dash as that thing is designed for at least 10 years. Hopefully another member can chime in with further info.
    Dynojet: 294 whp/305 torque/24lbs boost with a custom BTR tune with full bolt-ons.
    2012 Optima EX-T Spicy Red Showroom https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/4...-showroom.html w/ the following MODs: 845 Motorsports FMIC|845 Motorsports 4" Intake|845 Motorsports Charge Pipe|Nameless Midpipe|Nameless Downpipe|Synapse V3 BOV|BTR Custom Tune|Magnaflow Exhaust|Saikou Michi OCC's|Ultra Racing FSTB|kSport Coilovers|R1 Concepts rotors|and MORE...

Riding Lawn Mower
    Model
    2011 Optima Hybrid
    Thanks, I'm presuming the good status from the last multi-point means that even at 7.5 years old, the original 12v is fine, but not sure how far I want to push it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Tesla
    Model
    Model X
    Trim
    P100D
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
    My main Kia battery it seems to last about 36 months before it goes.
    Lucky you, I only got 24 months and 4 days before my factory OE battery went out on my 2012 Optima SX.

Quote Originally Posted by K5 Optima Store View Post
    Lucky you, I only got 24 months and 4 days before my factory OE battery went out on my 2012 Optima SX.
    HAH! You've all got me beat. My 2015 Hybrid I purchased in the fall of 2016 - the main car battery went out 4 mo after I purchased it. Went out and tried to turn the car on and got all sorts of clicking and warnings on the information center.

Got it jumped and took it to the dealership where they deemed the battery bad. Funny thing is, I took it to Autozone and a couple other auto parts stores first to test the battery and they thought they were going to blow up their equipment if they connected it to a "hybrid" car.

I wasn't even asking them to test the hybrid battery, just the car battery.
    2015 Optima Hybrid LX
    2016 Sorento FE AWD

Learner's Permit
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima KOH
    Trim
    EX
    Your 12v calcium battery life span is encouraging. Mine is 5 years old but tested out all green on my last service 3 a month ago. As for the hybrid battery, you can request to have the cells tested. There are some 50 plus cells that make it up. I've had mine tested a couple of times and the numbers all look good. You're likely in good shape too given the info you provided.

Good luck.

Robert

9. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements