2017 - Check Brake Warning Light, NOTHING WORKS!!
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 - Check Brake Warning Light, NOTHING WORKS!!

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima EX Hybrid
    Trim
    EX

2017 - Check Brake Warning Light, NOTHING WORKS!!

Went out to the 2017 Kia Optima Hybrid in my driveway this afternoon and went to start it up and after pushing the start button and the system self check a "STOP VEHICLE AND CHECK BRAKES" warning appeared in the middle of the digital display. Now for the fun part... The car was driven earlier today and the sunroof and windows are open and NOTHING IS RESPONDING OR WORKING. Doesn't appear to be a battery issue as it turns on and goes through the self check so I called the local dealer where we purchased the car and they were no great help, said to have the car towed in... but it's 4:30 pm on a Saturday and they close in 30 minutes... They also gave me the number to Kia Roadside Assistance to set up a tow... but that doesn't help me get the car buttoned up for expected rain.

Anybody ever have this problem or know of a solution?
    Last edited by ddillas; 06-08-2019 at 08:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima EX Hybrid
    Trim
    EX
    After speaking with the service department at a second Kia dealer in the area I disconnected the negative terminal of the 12v battery in the back, waited about 30 seconds, reconnected and no change in status. Next I pulled out the battery charger and hooked it up and it said the battery was at 9.4v... so now it's charging and we'll see if this fixes the problem. On a side note 2 years 5 months seems kind of short for OEM battery life... This is my wife's car but as far as I know she has never left anything on and ran the battery down at any time in the past.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima EX Hybrid
    Trim
    EX
    It was the 12v battery.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Glad it's fixed and appreciate the post with the fix.

7. The Following User Says Kudos to Turbonut For This Useful Post:

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Tesla
    Model
    Model X
    Trim
    P100D
    Wow that's crazy all of that for a bad 12 volt battery? Glad you got it figured out though!

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    Ex
    Wow only 2.5 years for the 12v battery?!

I'm starting to worry about mine.

Battery issues in modern cars can be so convoluted. Once the computer gets confused due to lack of voltage "unpredictable results may be seen".

That's a quote from a mainframe repair manual from 30 years ago. Seems legit still.

Quote Originally Posted by vamdemon View Post
    Wow only 2.5 years for the 12v battery?!

I'm starting to worry about mine.
    We've got a 2013 car still on the original battery ,running great.

I had the exact same thing happen on my 15 Hybrid 4mo after I bought it. Gave it a jump start and it worked for a week then same thing. I tried to take it to the auto parts stores in the area and they all freaked out over testing the 12V battery on a hybrid car. LMAO! Idiots! Took it to the dealership and they replaced the battery under warranty.
    2015 Optima Hybrid LX
    2016 Sorento FE AWD

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX 2.0
    My car has needed a new battery about every 3 years. Seems like clockwork sometimes.
    I also have 2015 Cherokee that I replace the battery on about 6 months back or so. So seems like 3 years is a typical auto battery for me.
    Dynojet: 294 whp/305 torque/24lbs boost with a custom BTR tune with full bolt-ons.
    2012 Optima EX-T Spicy Red Showroom https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/4...-showroom.html w/ the following MODs: 845 Motorsports FMIC|845 Motorsports 4" Intake|845 Motorsports Charge Pipe|Nameless Midpipe|Nameless Downpipe|Synapse V3 BOV|BTR Custom Tune|Magnaflow Exhaust|Saikou Michi OCC's|Ultra Racing FSTB|kSport Coilovers|R1 Concepts rotors|and MORE...

14. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast