Product Improvement Campaign
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: Product Improvement Campaign

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia Optima
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL

Product Improvement Campaign

Hi...I know there's tons of posts and comments about the Product Improvement Campaign but I think my question might be a bit different.
    I have a 2016 Optima SXL that is a lease and my last lease payment is July 18 with end of lease being August 18, 2019.
    In today's mail, I received a 2nd notice to have this done. My 'local' dealer is a good 2+hours away and I'm not thrilled with their service department anyway. This 2nd notice 'encouraged' me to get this done. Since it is not an official recall, any repercussions if I don't do it? The vehicle can legally be turned in after July 18 so I really don't want to have it taken care of.
    Your thoughts?
    Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    I say you don't need to take it in for the update.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia Optima
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL
    Thanks Turbonut....I was looking for another opinion other than mine. I appreciate it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    Quote Originally Posted by lewbar View Post
    Hi...I know there's tons of posts and comments about the Product Improvement Campaign but I think my question might be a bit different.
    I have a 2016 Optima SXL that is a lease and my last lease payment is July 18 with end of lease being August 18, 2019.
    In today's mail, I received a 2nd notice to have this done. My 'local' dealer is a good 2+hours away and I'm not thrilled with their service department anyway. This 2nd notice 'encouraged' me to get this done. Since it is not an official recall, any repercussions if I don't do it? The vehicle can legally be turned in after July 18 so I really don't want to have it taken care of.
    Your thoughts?
    Thank you
    If you are turning it in and getting another car, then I wouldn't fool with it. The dealership will update it and deal with any issues (I had none) before they resell it.
    If you are wanting to keep the car, then that is another matter. You should get the update as it then gives you the "forever" engine warranty.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 82K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...
    (See my Showroom for details)

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia Optima
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL
    Thank you williamhood. I do plan on turning the vehicle in. It's been about the best vehicle I've ever owned but I will lease something else if they'll work with me on making a deal. Either way, it will go back in.

Lot Attendant
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    LOL I just received my "second notice" PIC letter as well. Interestingly enough, the second PIC letter is worded a bit differently from that of the first one when it comes to which vehicles it applies to--the first letter listed 2016-2018 MY Optimas with 2.4L GDI and 2.0L Turbo GDI engines, whereas the second PIC lists "some 2014 MY Optimas with 2.4L GDI engines, and all 2015-2018 MY Optimas with 2.4L GDI and 2.0L Turbo GDI engines; IOW the second PIC (now) includes "some" 2014 Optimas with the 2.4L (I'm curious as to why it's only "some" rather than "all" 2014 Optima 2.4L), and adds all 2015 gas-only Optimas in addition to 2016-2018.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia Optima
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL
    tonester....One would have to wonder about the wording of those letters. I never paid much attention to which years and such but now I wonder what a 3rd letter might say. I would take it that they have installed this 'fix' for all the 2019+ vehicles with these engines so that would seem to mean that to get a new one, you may drive off the lot and have it go into limp mode. Strange.

Learner's Permit
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Just got the 2nd letter as well, and also noted it includes 2014-2018 cars, vs 2016-2018 before. WTF? Nice QC. Tne new letter still uses the same 'excessive connecting rod bearing damage' language, but no word on changes to the original 'fix', like the extra cable harnesses and different knock sensors reported by some owners. I'll read the other thread for updates, but I'm in no rush to do this now .
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, mud guards, tinted windows (35%).

11. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements