Adaptive Cruise Issues
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: Adaptive Cruise Issues

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL

Adaptive Cruise Issues

So my wife's 2016 seems to be getting worse and worse with the adaptive cruise control. The issue is anything to the right of the car, either traffic in the right lane, or a car in the turn lane, seem to trigger it to slow down, sometimes rather harshly! Cars on the left don't seem to cause the same issue.

Is anyone else seeing this? We've asked the dealer and they don't have any suggestions. Thanks!
    Mike
    Last edited by MN99GT; 05-09-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Mike - 2016 Optima SX-L 2013 Ram 1500 1999 Mustang GT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Tesla
    Model
    Model X
    Trim
    P100D
    I have a similar issue with my Tesla, but thankfully it will be updated in the next software update.

I am not sure how Kia would deal with this though...

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Working fine on my 2016. Just did a 1,700 mile road trip.
    2016 Kia Optima SXL Snow White Pearl

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Learner's Permit
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    I hardly ever use it, but last time I tried it worked fine. Did you get your windshield replaced by any chance? That'd explain it, since the system needs to be recalibrated, and probably wasn't done right (glass replacement shops don't have the same equipment as a dealer). Similarly, even a small hit in front could have moved the sensor slightly, with the same effect. Hope this helps.
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, mud guards, tinted windows (35%).

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
    I hardly ever use it, but last time I tried it worked fine. Did you get your windshield replaced by any chance? That'd explain it, since the system needs to be recalibrated, and probably wasn't done right (glass replacement shops don't have the same equipment as a dealer). Similarly, even a small hit in front could have moved the sensor slightly, with the same effect. Hope this helps.
    I thought this system relied on the sonar sensor below the front bumper? I didn't know there was anything in/behind the windshield? However, we haven't had the windshield replaced? And as far as I know, my wife hasn't hit anything on the front end? I'll have to take a closer at that tonight when she gets home.
    Mike - 2016 Optima SX-L 2013 Ram 1500 1999 Mustang GT

Learner's Permit
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    It supposedly uses both the radar unit on the bumper and the windshield camera shared with lane departure. Everything is tied together nowadays. That's why I added $0 glass coverage to my policy, since all my vehicles have all the electronic safety crap, plus panoramic glass roofs. Such windshields are like a grand, PLUS cost of recalibrating the systems. And pano moonroofs even worse.
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, mud guards, tinted windows (35%).

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain that the front-view camera that's mounted on the windshield is used (only) for the LDWS; if you think about it from a practical standpoint, cruise control doesn't care who's on either side of you since after all the purpose of cruise control is to maintain a set speed (or in the case of adaptive CC, a relative set distance between your car and the vehicle in front of you) without the need for you to use the gas pedal to maintain a fixed speed. It would seem to me that something is whack with the bumper radar sensor, although I'm guessing that when you took it to the dealer they told you that the sensor passed all of their diagnostic checks? Have you also played around with the vehicle-to-vehicle distance setting (there are 4 distance settings to choose from) and/or the SCC sensitivity setting (Slow/Normal/Fast) to see if that makes a difference?

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
    That's why I added $0 glass coverage to my policy, since all my vehicles have all the electronic safety crap, plus panoramic glass roofs. Such windshields are like a grand, PLUS cost of recalibrating the systems. And pano moonroofs even worse.
    LOL yup I added $0 deductible glass coverage as well for my Optima--came in handy earlier this year when my windshield cracked; it would have cost me almost $900 (and that amount is for a non-OEM windshield, which in retrospect I kind of regret not paying the extra premium for OEM replacement part coverage) if I didn't have any coverage at all.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements