[EX] : Product improvement campaign
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Product improvement campaign

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    Optima EX 2.4
    Trim
    EX Premium

Product improvement campaign

In the mail today I can see there is a letter from KIA and it says "Product improvement campaign" on the outside. Unfortunately I am travelling and won't open letter until I get home. Has anyone else received one of these lately, and if so, what was it for? Curiosity is killing me

2016 ex premium

Thanks
    Woody

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Banned
    Your engine is about to die, good luck!

All I found online is this:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...43471-9999.pdf

Or, you can go to https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/owners/safety-recall and search using your VIN.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SXL
    Trim
    SXL
    I'll go here with the first posting of this. I got the letter too and Friday called my service advisor. He explained this was a preemptive measure, rather than the engine will explode. My particular dealer has not experienced any engine issues with 16s on up. Apparently this will somehow warn IF there might be a bearing failure, thus the engine going into limp mode. I thought it interesting that some programing and a sensor can figure this out.

I had the update done yesterday, Saturday. Car seems fine, no difference in how it runs. Took about 45 minutes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    Quote Originally Posted by LVMike View Post
    I'll go here with the first posting of this. I got the letter too and Friday called my service advisor. He explained this was a preemptive measure, rather than the engine will explode. My particular dealer has not experienced any engine issues with 16s on up. Apparently this will somehow warn IF there might be a bearing failure, thus the engine going into limp mode. I thought it interesting that some programing and a sensor can figure this out.

I had the update done yesterday, Saturday. Car seems fine, no difference in how it runs. Took about 45 minutes.
    Keep in mind too that the Optima '16 engines are somewhat different from the '11-15 engines. The SC147 recall affected the '11-'13 engines the most but seems to have been sorted out by the early '14 and '15 model year engines.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 80K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...
    (See my Showroom for details)

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyth View Post
    In the mail today I can see there is a letter from KIA and it says "Product improvement campaign" on the outside. Unfortunately I am travelling and won't open letter until I get home. Has anyone else received one of these lately, and if so, what was it for? Curiosity is killing me

2016 ex premium

Thanks
    Woody
    Its a software update for the ECU. Kia is making their knock detection identical across all their models. It in creases sensitivity of the knock sensors and adds a map to the ECU in order for it to hand excessive knock (meaning you have engine issues).
    Dynojet: 294 whp/305 torque/24lbs boost with a custom BTR tune with full bolt-ons.
    2012 Optima EX-T Spicy Red Showroom https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/4...-showroom.html w/ the following MODs: 845 Motorsports FMIC|845 Motorsports 4" Intake|845 Motorsports Charge Pipe|Nameless Midpipe|Nameless Downpipe|Synapse V3 BOV|BTR Custom Tune|Magnaflow Exhaust|Saikou Michi OCC's|Ultra Racing FSTB|kSport Coilovers|R1 Concepts rotors|and MORE...

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    Optima EX 2.4
    Trim
    EX Premium
    Well dropping it off this morning. In the words of the kid advisor we have "it's nothing to worry about." Little assurance coming from there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Certified Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Quote Originally Posted by williamhood View Post
    Keep in mind too that the Optima '16 engines are somewhat different from the '11-15 engines. The SC147 recall affected the '11-'13 engines the most but seems to have been sorted out by the early '14 and '15 model year engines.
    Don't always want to be a naysayer, but in my opinion, Kia/Hyundai certainly wouldn't spend the money for the knock sensor update unless they feel there's a problem, or a potential problem with these engines as there have been 2015, 2016 & 2017 engine seizures.

I personally don't have a very comfortable feeling with all the DFI engines 2.4/2.0 >2011.

Just a note, none of the 2.4 Hybrid gas engines are recalled and probably the reason, no problems with the port injection engine, just the ill engineered direct injection engines.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    Optima EX 2.4
    Trim
    EX Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonut View Post
    Don't always want to be a naysayer, but in my opinion, Kia/Hyundai certainly wouldn't spend the money for the knock sensor update unless they feel there's a problem, or a potential problem with these engines as there have been 2015, 2016 & 2017 engine seizures.

I personally don't have a very comfortable feeling with all the DFI engines 2.4/2.0 >2011.

Just a note, none of the 2.4 Hybrid gas engines are recalled and probably the reason, no problems with the port injection engine, just the ill engineered direct injection engines.
    I'm leaning towards your feeling on this. It's a bit sketchy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L
    If I were a marketing type for Kia, I think I'd be doing exactly what they're doing. That is, updating the software on all vehicles and extending a lifetime warranty.

I doubt they expect tons of problems with con-rod bearings, but to quell the concern and reassure buyers (and potential buyers), they're stepping up and saying they'll take care of it.

I somehow doubt you'd see something this aggressive from GM or Dodge, etc, and I think it's a really good move.

12. The Following User Says Kudos to Mike_TX For This Useful Post:

Banned
    But then again, it seems their cars are bursting in flames, yet they say nothing is wrong.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast