[EX] : Product improvement campaign - Page 12
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Product improvement campaign

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    Quote Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
    Still on that same boat here. My 2016 SXL only has 19K miles, and change oil every 5K with Mobil1, so not worried about bearing damage anytime soon. Engine still sounds perfectly healthy.

Hey guys, this 'campaign' (not a recall, at least not yet) is confusing. It's supposed to be about bad engine bearings, and now it seems to be about knock sensors and wire harnesses? Makes no sense. Cars were fine until ECU was messed with, right? It seems like the knock sensor and harnesses are to fix the bad bearing fix, no? But the potential bad bearing issue is still there, so why in the world get the stupid 'fix'? Will call Kia out of curiosity one of these days, but my guess is they'll finally realize there's nothing you can do about bad bearings until you either hear the engine knock (progressively worse), or it blows. Just like Tonester said, and I said since the beginning of this fiasco, I'm not going to do anything while I have a warranty, especially a full warranty, which still have almost 3 full years (plus 5 more for the powertrain). Will check again in another month or so for updates. Might traded it in for a Mini, if my wife likes them. With an engine ticking bomb after 30K miles, this car is not a keeper for my wife without me around (fighting an incurable cancer here, but losing the battle).
    Nope, bearings are what this has been all about. The ECU update just makes the knock sensor able to "hear" WHEN (not if) the bearings are going bad and warn you the driver so that hopefully you don't get stuck on the side of the road by continuing to drive the damaged engine till it possibly seizes. Either way, you still get a free new engine. The wiring harness is part of that new "feature" of the knock sensor and apparently for some, it is not up to that task from an electrical point of view (to much electrical interference getting into it and causing a false positive). The new harness is suppose to be better shielded so that it doesn't get the false positives and is a free replacement as well.

It matters not if you have been maintaining the engine with excellent oil/filter changes (I did as well and my still died at 76K miles - see my threads) but the issue is a defective two-stage engine oil pump design that has since been updated and corrected. All the new engines have this improved part among other improvements. This improved engine gets the unlimited miles/unlimited years warranty for you and any later owners to come so that is a pretty good deal. If you are worried about the car, trade it for something she likes and feels safe/comfortable in.

Sorry man about the cancer battle, that stinks! Cars/things are small potatoes in comparison.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 80K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...
    (See my Showroom for details)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SXL
    Trim
    Snow White Pearl - ................ Aubergine Nappa
    Quote Originally Posted by williamhood View Post
    but the issue is a defective two-stage engine oil pump design that has since been updated and corrected. All the new engines have this improved part among other improvements.
    I wonder IF, and the cost if Yes, the improvements are Install-able on earlier models when someone will Pay now Vs Failure in the middle of nowhere, even if Free Repair with x months loaner car?
    Last edited by COS-16SXL; 05-16-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    Built 12/14/15 -- Bought 12/23/15
    Nav Software v13 5/7/19
    Yokohama Advan Sport A/S ... 235/45R18 (10++ So far)
    Castrol Edge 5W40 SYN
    Trunk-Lift Spring
    HuskyLiners Floor-Trunk

Diapers, Politicians, & the Media All Need Changing for the Same Reason

Senior Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    I find it hard to believe it's the oil pump in the mass production parts/engine, as I'd assume if that were the case, all the engines would blow at some point in time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonut View Post
    I find it hard to believe it's the oil pump in the mass production parts/engine, as I'd assume if that were the case, all the engines would blow at some point in time.
    If it's "just marginal" in design then that means some will fail early and some will fail late in the engine's life (like mine) but I think statistically, a very high number will eventually fail. Sadly, I do think that is where we are. Given that, I'm impressed with the way Kia is trying to resolve it at no cost to the consumer. But just think how much Kia has lost due to this poor design. As my 89 year old daddy says "the fastest shortcut is doing it right the first time"! I strongly agree with that thinking.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 80K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...
    (See my Showroom for details)

Learner's Permit
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by williamhood View Post
    the issue is a defective two-stage engine oil pump design that has since been updated and corrected.
    Hey, where did you get that info? I found another explanation by chance on another unrelated forum. It said it was a CNC programming defect leaving debris inside oil passages, leading to bearing damage. Never heard of neither explanation, hence asking where you found it. The second one makes more sense to me, to be honest, but don't know who to believe anymore without knowing the source, and reading it myself.

At any rate, bearing damage is a long term process with something like this, so not even remotely worried about getting stranded with a seized engine, especially with less than 20K miles. If an engine is going to go soon due to bad bearings, it'd make an absolutely nasty noise nobody would ignore, and it gets that way progressively, not overnight. I still have about 8 years of warranty, so not in any hurry to do the fix until I'm positive it can be trusted. And I'd like to find out for sure what was the cause of the campaign on newer cars.
    Last edited by elp_jc; 05-15-2019 at 01:57 AM.
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, mud guards, tinted windows (35%).

Hey, where did you get that info? I found another explanation by chance on another unrelated forum. It said it was a CNC programming defect leaving debris inside oil passages, leading to bearing damage. Never heard of neither explanation, hence asking where you found it. The second one makes more sense to me, to be honest, but don't know who to believe anymore without knowing the source, and reading it myself.

At any rate, bearing damage is a long term process with something like this, so not even remotely worried about getting stranded with a seized engine, especially with less than 20K miles. If an engine is going to go soon due to bad bearings, it'd make an absolutely nasty noise nobody would ignore, and it gets that way progressively, not overnight. I still have about 8 years of warranty, so not in any hurry to do the fix until I'm positive it can be trusted. And I'd like to find out for sure what was the cause of the campaign on newer cars.

Do you think the warranty will not be voided because you intentionally refused the fix?

Senior Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    At any rate, bearing damage is a long term process with something like this, so not even remotely worried about getting stranded with a seized engine, especially with less than 20K miles.
    How about cars with 7,000, 11,000 & 15,000 miles with seized engines and they are only engines I know about, and on the other end of the scale, 194,000 miles.
    Just an FYI-That engine can self destruct at any time regardless of the mileage.
    Something Korean roulette!!!!!!!!!!

Driver's License
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by BBQKIA View Post
    [/B][/U]
    Do you think the warranty will not be voided because you intentionally refused the fix?
    Just my opinion, but a) Kia would need to prove that they knew you intentionally refused the fix; b) unless the info in the campaign explicitly states that not doing the fix completely voids the original powertrain warranty (or at least what would be applicable only to the engine), Kia can't hold it against you if for whatever reason you choose not to get the fix done at any point prior to the expiration of the original warranty.

Learner's Permit
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by BBQKIA View Post
    Nope . It's a VOLUNTARY campaign. The engine would be toast regardless, and the current 'fix' is worse to me, so I just won't volunteer for it. And no, I know enough about engines that my engine won't self-destruct without warning, so not worried about that either. And even if that wasn't the case, rather get stranded for a real cause (engine seized), than a possible fake one.

At any rate, to keep the discussion going, below is the info I was referring to from a Ford forum. Interesting to learn about the class action lawsuit.

KIA's Block subcontractor misprogrammed their CNC machines*, and didn't flush the oil passages long enough to get all the shavings out, so premature rod bearing failure because you're lubricating the bearings with valve grinding compound.. I wonder how you say [email protected]#%#@#^$#^ in Korean? Sorentos, Forte's, Optima's and others affected. I did a lot of research - there's a class action suit:

Migliaccio & Rathod LLP
    412 H St. NE, Suite 302
    Washington D.C. 20002
    Office: (202) 470-3520
    Fax: (202) 800-2730
    www.classlawdc.com

If the bearings crap out outside of warranty, the easiest route is a rebuilt long block, which will eliminate the root cause. about $2800 delivered.
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, mud guards, tinted windows (35%).

Senior Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Another theory that doesn't hold water, at least to me. When a mass production engine is left with debris that can ruin the .0005/.0008 Babbitt, it's not going to be an engine here and there, some at 5,000 miles and others at 190,000.

Might want to translate the following and find that inferior block structure leads to cylinder distortion etc. FYI-Korean:
    공*•ƒ 이물ˆ? ˜„Œ€차 GDI —”„, ˜Œ€„ 문*œ˜€‹ - ˜†*—Ÿ“œ

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast