[EX] : Product improvement campaign - Page 11
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Product improvement campaign

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by hexgutierrez View Post
    Update to my situation. Yesterday, April 15th, they call and say my car is ready, that it didn't need a motor and just needed a new wiring harness. I returned the rental and went down to the dealership to pick up my car, drove it a couple blocks to a 7-11 and it was fine. Turned it back on in the 7-11 parking lot and "Limp Mode" again!!
    That's interesting. Do you know if they tested the engine extensively before doing the harness? They did the test procedure in the recent tech bulletin to my engine and pronounced it "healthy" before proceeding with the harness replacement. I'm still waiting on the part. But it's disappointing to hear that the new harness may not be a guaranteed fix. Perhaps some knock sensors are also not quite up to snuff in addition to the wiring?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    Quote Originally Posted by time_fly View Post
    That's interesting. Do you know if they tested the engine extensively before doing the harness? They did the test procedure in the recent tech bulletin to my engine and pronounced it "healthy" before proceeding with the harness replacement. I'm still waiting on the part. But it's disappointing to hear that the new harness may not be a guaranteed fix. Perhaps some knock sensors are also not quite up to snuff in addition to the wiring?
    Over on the Hyundai forums with the Sonata, they are often replacing both the wiring harness and the knock sensor as part of the "final" fix with the ECU software update. All free but parts availability is an issue.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 80K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...
    (See my Showroom for details)

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX/S
    Don't know how extensively they tested the engine but I went back and picked up my Optima yesterday(16th) after they said they basically did the fix again to make sure everything was right. It drove home fine and has been driving fine this morning. Only time will tell. They did tell me that this may be an issue that Kia will continue to diagnose and they may be sending letters out in the future for more work to be done on it as part of the recall.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by williamhood View Post
    Over on the Hyundai forums with the Sonata, they are often replacing both the wiring harness and the knock sensor as part of the "final" fix with the ECU software update. All free but parts availability is an issue.
    I just talked to the dealer. It has been about 1 week, and they expect to have my car about another week waiting for the part.

7. The Following User Says Kudos to time_fly For This Useful Post:

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    Optima EX 2.4
    Trim
    EX Premium
    I can't say much do to settlement. I CAN say that I still do not have my car. I DID get a different rental. 2020 telluride.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Post your thoughts here or in the new Telluride area. My wife is considering one.

As a professional software guy, I can say Kia really screwed up with this one. I wonder how much real-world testing this new engine monitoring system received. These issues with wiring harnesses and sensors makes me think this code was tested on bench engines and maybe pristine test vehicles on a track, not extensively on real-world cars.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima SX-T
    Trim
    Premium Touring Package
    Quote Originally Posted by time_fly View Post
    Post your thoughts here or in the new Telluride area. My wife is considering one.

As a professional software guy, I can say Kia really screwed up with this one. I wonder how much real-world testing this new engine monitoring system received. These issues with wiring harnesses and sensors makes me think this code was tested on bench engines and maybe pristine test vehicles on a track, not extensively on real-world cars.
    As a HW guy, maybe the only thing they did was to "simulate" it!
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    2012 Optima SX w/Premium Touring Pkg, "Spicy Red" | 80K miles
    Purchased 7/2012, built 3/13/2012 at GA plant.
    Mods: LAP3 UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+), HKS M40XL Plugs, Saikou Michi OCCs (PCV&Intake), Injen SRI w/hydro-shield, Nameless MP and CP, Theta2 TBS, CP-E CBE, UR Crank Pulley, Ultra Racing FSTB, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/TruHart Struts, Advanti Kudos rims,...
    (See my Showroom for details)

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Optima
    Model
    Optima EX 2.4
    Trim
    EX Premium
    Well new ride was short lived, but after 5 months, my car is DONE. I pick it up tonight. I also programmed KIA roadside assistance into my phone.

The telluride is awesome! Did get it pretty muddy, and it was FUN! Snow will be a breeze in that thing, but triple the price I paid for my optima, I think I'll pass for now......

I donno what it is, but glad to have MY car back.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    I also got my car back today. Nothing changed except the knock sensor wiring harness. Hopefully that does the trick.

13. The Following User Says Kudos to time_fly For This Useful Post:

Learner's Permit
    Model
    2016 Optima SXL
    Quote Originally Posted by tonester View Post
    I've yet to have the KSDS update applied to my 2018 SXL; I will most likely simply hold out until (at the extreme) I'm near the end of the 10/100K factory powertrain warranty, unless Kia can solve the gremlins that seem to be present with this update before then.
    Still on that same boat here. My 2016 SXL only has 19K miles, and change oil every 5K with Mobil1, so not worried about bearing damage anytime soon. Engine still sounds perfectly healthy.

Hey guys, this 'campaign' (not a recall, at least not yet) is confusing. It's supposed to be about bad engine bearings, and now it seems to be about knock sensors and wire harnesses? Makes no sense. Cars were fine until ECU was messed with, right? It seems like the knock sensor and harnesses are to fix the bad bearing fix, no? But the potential bad bearing issue is still there, so why in the world get the stupid 'fix'? Will call Kia out of curiosity one of these days, but my guess is they'll finally realize there's nothing you can do about bad bearings until you either hear the engine knock (progressively worse), or it blows. Just like Tonester said, and I said since the beginning of this fiasco, I'm not going to do anything while I have a warranty, especially a full warranty, which still have almost 3 full years (plus 5 more for the powertrain). Will check again in another month or so for updates. Might traded it in for a Mini, if my wife likes them. With an engine ticking bomb after 30K miles, this car is not a keeper for my wife without me around (fighting an incurable cancer here, but losing the battle).
    2016 Optima SXL white/white. MODS: chrome wheels, Homelink, cargo hook, cargo mat, mud guards, tinted windows (35%).

15. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast