$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]

Help installing new head unit in 2011 Optima with Nav + Infinity - UPDATE: installed!
$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help installing new head unit in 2011 Optima with Nav + Infinity - UPDATE: installed!

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX

Help installing new head unit in 2011 Optima with Nav + Infinity - UPDATE: installed!

UPDATE: It's installed and working!!! (see page 2)

I bought a new head unit for my wife's 2011 EX w/Navi+Infinity. I bought what I thought was all I needed, until I found out on Christmas Eve that installing in a car with the Infinity system is different from all of the others.I've already got:
    • Head Unit (Kenwood DDX9702S)
    • Metra Axxess ASWC-1
    • DDIN Faceplate
    Now I need guidance for what else I need to purchase. Is this all I need?
    • Automatic climate control panel. I've found 4 part numbers, and not sure if they're any different and which one I need: 97250-2T100, 97250-2T101, 97250-2T110, 97250-2T1111
    • Axxess AX-CAM6V to retain my rear camera
    • Either HYBL-04 or HYKIA-01 to interface with SPDIF (which is better/easier?)
    OR, does it make more sense to replace the Infinity amp and go aftermarket, and is that a serious undertaking that requires running new wires to speakers and the head unit?
    Last edited by McHoffa; 02-09-2016 at 08:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX
    To my knowledge replacing the factory navigation head unit with an aftermarket option is not possible. There are several threads which discuss how to tackle the problem on these forums, but unless something magical has happened in the last few months, you may be out of luck :/

EDIT: oh man now you're getting me going. From what I recall, you'll want to check around ebay for the 2011 non-nav climate control panel - there should be a few. Make sure that it matches the type of climate control you have in your vehicle currently (i.e. manual climate control vs. auto climate control).

For the SPDIF issue, the HYBL-04 looks like the easiest option. Swapping out the amp would also require you to swap out the speakers, as the connections on all of them aren't standard speaker wire (you'd need to rewire everything).

Please note that I haven't found anyone confirm these swap-outs work. If you end up going down this rabbit hole and it does work, PLEASE let us know what parts you used and what steps you took!
    Last edited by shigatashway; 12-28-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Hmmm, I hope I got the right climate control panel from ebay. I guess I'll find out.

I am going to order the HYBL-04, and it looks like either this weekend or next I'll get to dive in. It will take me 5 minutes to get the old stuff out. Hopefully I won't spend more than a couple hours playing around in there.

Any recommendations on other things I might need to make this easier on me? The last time I installed a car stereo was 15 years ago, in an early 90s Honda. In other words, VERY simple. This thing is much more complicated, and anyone that could give me guidance would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have color coded wiring diagrams for all of this?

Assuming I haven't wasted time and money on this, and I get it installed and everything working, I will provide a very detailed installation guide and video for everyone else.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Model
    2011 SX

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    That's where I initially posted my questions

Side note: I visit Lakeland almost every summer

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    The more I'm reading, the more I regret getting the Infinity Nav system. I thought I was doing my wife a favor getting it, but now that upgrading isn't easy (or possible?) I wish I'd just gotten her the standard system.

If anyone can provide wiring diagrams for this system, it would be much appreciated. I'd pay for them at this point. I'd hate to have to sell all the stuff I bought.

Lot Attendant
    Your best option is to use an aftermarket processor and amps. The processor is where the real deficiency in the infinity system is anyways, it's just tuned like trash. They play the door speakers too low, the midranges too low, and have the timing and eq severely screwed up.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    I contacted a local stereo installer and he said he'll pass because he's looked into this car before

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    I've got everything now (I hope I got the right pieces) so I will be starting this as soon as we have a day that my wife doesn't need her car for most of the day (in case I get lost in the wiring)

Learner's Permit
    Good luck

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast