$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]

Help installing new head unit in 2011 Optima with Nav + Infinity - UPDATE: installed! - Page 2
$template_hook[AutoInsuranceQuotebox_RON_AUTO]
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help installing new head unit in 2011 Optima with Nav + Infinity - UPDATE: installed!

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Quote Originally Posted by sdmfer View Post
    Good luck
    Thanks. I'd be more confident if I could get ahold of bperry0118 to ask about his install

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Thanks to bperry0118, I'm almost there with my install. The remaining items are:

-Getting the hang up and call buttons working with my head unit. I was able to manually program the other buttons on the AWSC-1 but those two were still not recognized. I will try again after I get ahold of a windows PC to update the firmware.

-Getting the reverse camera working correctly. I thought it was, because it turns on when I put it in reverse, and turned back off when I put it back in park, but my wife said the camera stayed on when she put it in drive. Unfortunately I finished it this morning right before she had to leave for work, so I sent her on her way, thinking it was all good

-The airbag indicator on the instrument panel was on, so I have to figure that one out.

A full wiring diagram with color coding would be awesome and make this 100 times easier.

Other than that, it sounds good, and I think everything else works. What little I played with CarPlay made me a tad jealous.

Help installing new head unit in 2011 Optima with Nav + Infinity - UPDATE: installed!-img_1848.jpg

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    Ex

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Does anyone know what the wires marked as "M-CAN" (high and low) are for? These are connected to the back of the climate control panel in the nav system, but not on the climate control panel that has the small red screen.

Lot Attendant
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-L (Limited)
    Quote Originally Posted by McHoffa View Post
    Thanks to bperry0118, I'm almost there with my install. The remaining items are:

-Getting the hang up and call buttons working with my head unit. I was able to manually program the other buttons on the AWSC-1 but those two were still not recognized. I will try again after I get ahold of a windows PC to update the firmware.

-Getting the reverse camera working correctly. I thought it was, because it turns on when I put it in reverse, and turned back off when I put it back in park, but my wife said the camera stayed on when she put it in drive. Unfortunately I finished it this morning right before she had to leave for work, so I sent her on her way, thinking it was all good

-The airbag indicator on the instrument panel was on, so I have to figure that one out.

A full wiring diagram with color coding would be awesome and make this 100 times easier.

Other than that, it sounds good, and I think everything else works. What little I played with CarPlay made me a tad jealous.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1848.JPG 
Views:	1340 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	190225
    Great job sir! You're an inspiration to us all.
    2014 SX-Limited: Ballin' On A Budget...

8. The Following User Says Kudos to UnLimited For This Useful Post:

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Here is what I bought:

Kenwood DDX9702S head unit (good reviews for a CarPlay unit)

HYBL-04
    ASWC-1
    AX-CAM6V

DDIN faceplate
    used automatic climate control panel off eBay

There were some oddities that I learned between the help from bperry0118 and tech support from Metra that I thought I'd share:

The wiring from the original climate control/audio control panel was different from the used one I bought on ebay. The replacement had an extra teal ground wire that I just tied into one of the others, and the original had a gray/black and brown/black that the replacement did not have (labeled M-CAN high and low) that I just taped off.

Other than that, it all matched up (though in different order on the plug). I just cut and spliced them one at a time, and everything worked fine.

The instructions for the HYBL-04 said to connect the green purple wire to the reverse wire of the head unit. My green/purple did NOT have any voltage when I put the car in reverse, so instead I spliced #9 on connector A (18 pin) which did have 12V when I put the car in reverse. This worked to turn on the camera when put into reverse.

AX-CAM6V connects to the blue/white wire to the red 12V, ground to #4 connector A and blue-red spliced into #11 connector A

an old RCA cable was cut and spliced to #2 (+) and #3 (-) on connector A

On the ASWC-1, use the wire that came with the HYBL-04, not the one that came with this.

I could NOT get the ASWC-1 to recognize the bluetooth steering wheel controls for call/hang up, so I contacted Metra. Turns out, to get that to work, you have to cut the green/orange wire between the factory harness and the HYBL-04 unit and tape it off (don't cut it AT the harness, because it splits into two). After that, auto program picked up all the controls correctly including the call/hang up buttons! (you do have to do an extra step for the bluetooth buttons as outlined in the full manual)

For the factory microphone, I cut the 3.5mm cable of the mic that came with the head unit, and spliced into #10 (+) and #22 (-). One thing I had to do, which I had remembered from a project I did a long time ago, was burn off the invisible coating from the individual strands of copper inside the mic wire. Just spread them out, hold a lighter under it and they catch fire for a second and then blow out. That would have driven me insane if it hadn't already done so on that previous project.

I think that's it. If I think of anything else, I will update this post.

I did not cut and splice the existing gps cable, usb cable or sirius cable, so I can't answer what or how to do those.

After all is said and done, everything works, and to me the sound is fine, though a little low (I didn't adjust the HYBL-04 before putting everything back together, so I may take it all apart one day to give it more volume). I'm not an audio nut. Obviously, if that's you, you'll probably want to just replace the amp and speakers anyway.

Again, MAJOR thanks to bperry0118, who probably got annoyed by my questions, and the tech support at Metra, who responded next day to my questions.

and again, the only problem is my airbag light is on now. I have to take it to the dealership to get that checked/reset

btw, is it possible to get an admin to edit the title of the thread? I'd like this thread to be marked as solved if possible
    Last edited by McHoffa; 02-09-2016 at 09:32 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Kudos to McHoffa For This Useful Post:

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    Renamed for you boss, glad you got it working

Certified Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    AX-CAM6V connects to the blue/white wire to the red 12V, ground to #4 connector A and blue-red spliced into #11 connector A
    when you say spliced, that means just "tap" into it correct? no need to cut the cable?

thanks in advance.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    Quote Originally Posted by jery911 View Post
    when you say spliced, that means just "tap" into it correct? no need to cut the cable?

thanks in advance.
    Correct

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX
    So I didn't notice until a couple weeks ago when it actually got warm, but I have no AC in the car and air only blows out the windshield vents no matter which setting I have it on.

I'd pay someone at this point to get this fixed but a local stereo shop didn't want to touch it (which is why I tried to do this all myself).

I'm guessing it's got something to do with the two wires that didn't match up with the climate control panel connector.

15. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast