2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: 2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    EX

2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion

My ’17 Optima Hybrid EX just had Halogen projectors using an H7 bulb for low beam. My previous car had OEM HID headlights and I really missed them driving my Hybrid in the dark. I purchased a Morimoto HID conversion kit from K5 Optima Store to install. Thanks to David for answering my questions and promptly shipping them out!

There are plenty of good instructional videos for installing HID conversions in Halogen projectors so I’ll just stick to my experience installing it in my 2017 Optima Hybrid.

The kit is high quality with weatherpack connectors. The2017 Optima requires a Canbus harness instead of relay harness. Canbus is sensitive to load, so the car must be fooled into thinking there isn’t an HID bulb in place of the H7 bulb. Otherwise you’d get warning lights on dash.

Not griping here, just the facts.

The kit does not include H7 adapters which are needed to hold the H7 HID conversion bulb in the housing. I sourced a pair that were solid, that is no slit in them. The slit allows you to slide the adapter over the wires. If HID bulb connectors were removable and small enough, they could possibly fit through the adapter. I just cut a slit in my solid adapters. Note, if you have to slit adapters, do it 180 degrees opposite of the tabs on adapter where the flat edge of bulb sits. Bulb only fits one way in adapter.

While it shows the connectors removable off the HID bulb in the instructions, it appears the H7 HID bulb connectors are solidly attached. This means after drilling the hole in the headlight cover, I had to remove wires from a connector to get them through the hole.
    Mark the side of connector with the Red wire so you get it right upon reassembly. You’ll also need a proper tool to remove the terminal. Before reinstall you may have to bend the tab on terminal so it locks in the connector.

The connector is offset on rear of HID bulb. When inserted in adapter, the bulb would not sit flat. I had to grind some plastic out of the H7 adapter and off the side of connector on HID bulb.

H7 Halogen bulbs are not sensitive to polarity. HID are. The two wires to the H7 bulb in the headlight housing are Black. I used a test light to confirm positive terminal with the headlights on. Check both sides to be sure of positive terminal in event they are reversed.

The Hybrid is pretty busy under the hood, especially on the driver side. I used 3M double sided tape to secure the ballast, igniter and Canbus modules. I had to install the ballast on top of the fuse/relay housingon driver side. The Canbus module is attached to front of relay housing. The ballast clears the hood by inches. If I ever have to get into that fuse/relay box, I’ll just have to remove ballast connectors.

I can’t wait to drive at night to see the difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-hid_1.jpg   2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-hid_2.jpg   2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-hid_3.jpg   2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-hid_4.jpg   2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-hid_4a.jpg  

2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-hid_5.jpg   2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-hid_6.jpg   2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-hid_7.jpg   2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-hid_8.jpg   2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-hid_9.jpg  

Last edited by SCompRacer; 04-14-2018 at 06:13 PM.

2. The Following User Says Kudos to SCompRacer For This Useful Post:

3. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    EX
    ....cont....the congested driver side. I'm guessing a non hybrid would have more open space. And the little H7 bulb I replaced.

H7 adapters I ordered from US Amazon seller, link below. The pic may show them slit but mine were not. Note that some adapters are shipped from China which will take longer to arrive than a US seller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-hid_9b.jpg   2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-hid_9c.jpg   2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-h7.jpg  
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 04-15-2018 at 04:46 PM.

5. The Following User Says Kudos to SCompRacer For This Useful Post:

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima SWP
    Trim
    S
    WoW! Nice Might be my next project. Is this what you had to do because you have the Hybrid? Or is this going to be the same for non-hybrid Optimas..........................
    2018 Optima S in Snow White Pearl
    2018 Niro EX in Cerulean Blue
    2018 Niro LX with Advance Technology Package in Cerulean Blue
    TVC15

7. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    EX
    Thanks Chief! It seems none of the dealers around here know there are different headlights available for the Optima Hybrids. I felt the standard Halogen projector/reflector bright were kind of poor at night. I've seen HID, dual projector Halogen and LED as options.

I'm guessing you'll have less stuff on the driver side of your non-Hybrid Optima without the motor and flux capacitors. I'm guessing yours will need the Canbus too. IIRC David said 2016-2018 were Canbus.

You could have a different low beam bulb too.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

2017 Optima with LED...

Last edited by SCompRacer; 04-14-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima SWP
    Trim
    S
    My S looks nothing like yours, yours looks more like the SXL Models............

2018 KIA Optima S 01-21-2018 by John Nelson, on Flickr
    2018 Optima S in Snow White Pearl
    2018 Niro EX in Cerulean Blue
    2018 Niro LX with Advance Technology Package in Cerulean Blue
    TVC15

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    EX
    Nothing like it all....someone said Hybrids should look plain for 2017! I have to move to another country for fog lights and dual projectors.

2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-2017-kia-optima-hybrid-front-action3-lead-600-001.jpg

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    EX
    Left OEM H7 Halogen, right Morimoto 5500K HID. Nice improvement. Good cutoff, nobody flicking brights at me.

2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-headlight_1.jpg2017 Optima Hybrid HID Conversion-headlight_2.jpg
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 04-15-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Your K5 Optima Vendor K5 Optima Store's Avatar
    Year
    Make
    Tesla
    Model
    Model X
    Trim
    P100D
    Wow, great write up, thank you for sharing with the community, and for placing your order with us as well.

For those wondering about the HID kit ordered in the write-up, you can find it on our site below:

Morimoto Elite Complete HID Conversion Kits - K5 Optima Store <<< (Website Link)

If you don't mind, could you post that comparison shot, and leave a review in our forum thread as well?

https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/23...ima-store.html <<<(Optima Forum thread)

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements