[DIY] : Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink Install - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink Install

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    EX
    So got the auto dimming mirror installed today. It works, but I've been shorted. The trim piece that hides wire between mirror and headliner is too short.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima SWP
    Trim
    S
    Did you extend the trim piece? I know it's a dumb question but I had to ask anyway............................
    2018 Optima S in Snow White Pearl
    2018 Niro EX in Cerulean Blue
    2018 Niro LX with Advance Technology Package in Cerulean Blue
    TVC15

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    EX
    Not a dumb question at all! I'll try that tomorrow when I put all the trim back on. The cold must have numbed my brain...lol I just held it up there.

I still have front/rear camera to install/wire up. I had an accident last year on expressway. My statement, limo entered expressway, crossed empty right lane and hit me mid doors on right side in middle lane. His story, I turned into him. No witnesses. Still hasn't seen arbitration. Since then, like the folks in Russia, I have front and rear cameras.

One other thing....the plastic inserts in the roof for the two screws that secure the dome light housing. They are too small and turn in the square holes. I had to pull down on the housing to unscrew.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima SWP
    Trim
    S
    That's why those screws wouldn't come out, so I left them in and worked around that as there was just enough space to shove the wire and connector up into the Headliner. I had to use some upward pressure to screw those little buggers back in............
    Last edited by Chief_10Beers; 04-08-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    TVC15

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    EX
    Well, upon closer inspection, pushing the dome light housing up into the roof while removing the screws will hold the clips in place. Once you get the housing out turn the plastic nut inserts in roof to remove. EDIT: I have snapped pics.....

The clips are H shaped and they fit in an H shaped slot in the dome light housing. To reinstall, hold the clips in the housing and insert/tighten screws. Then you snap the housing into place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink Install-20180421_152927_resized.jpg   Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink Install-20180421_153032_resized.jpg  
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 04-25-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Model
    2018 Kia Optima S
    Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Not a dumb question at all! I'll try that tomorrow when I put all the trim back on. The cold must have numbed my brain...lol I just held it up there.

I still have front/rear camera to install/wire up. I had an accident last year on expressway. My statement, limo entered expressway, crossed empty right lane and hit me mid doors on right side in middle lane. His story, I turned into him. No witnesses. Still hasn't seen arbitration. Since then, like the folks in Russia, I have front and rear cameras.

One other thing....the plastic inserts in the roof for the two screws that secure the dome light housing. They are too small and turn in the square holes. I had to pull down on the housing to unscrew.
    I've been wanting to install a camera system like that too. Had a similar he said/ she said incident when the other person was clearly at fault. But, no witnesses or video.

And yes, the wire cover snaps in place and slides to extend to the headliner.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima Hybrid
    Trim
    EX
    Quote Originally Posted by spazstic View Post
    I've been wanting to install a camera system like that too. Had a similar he said/ she said incident when the other person was clearly at fault. But, no witnesses or video.

And yes, the wire cover snaps in place and slides to extend to the headliner.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Yeah, it's embarrassing about the wire cover...lol I Dremel'd a slot in it at mirror mount and ran the camera power wire through it.

I really like the Blackvue brand. I had a DR650S-2CH in my Malibu. I purchased a DR750S-2CH for the Optima which has upgraded sensors and the rear camera will now do 1080P. I also install their Power Magic Pro. Flip a switch on it and you can record when parked.

https://www.blackvue.com/product/dr750s-2ch/

10. The Following User Says Kudos to SCompRacer For This Useful Post:

Model
    2018 Kia Optima S
    Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Yeah, it's embarrassing about the wire cover...lol I Dremel'd a slot in it at mirror mount and ran the camera power wire through it.

I really like the Blackvue brand. I had a DR650S-2CH in my Malibu. I purchased a DR750S-2CH for the Optima which has upgraded sensors and the rear camera will now do 1080P. I also install their Power Magic Pro. Flip a switch on it and you can record when parked.

https://www.blackvue.com/product/dr750s-2ch/
    That looks like a nice setup, but $400+! That's real money!

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima SWP
    Trim
    S
    Quote Originally Posted by spazstic View Post
    That looks like a nice setup, but $400+! That's real money!
    Not if they Hit you and lie about it, you got screwed. Now if you got the goods on them in full HD, you're covered, but in reality if you go on a road trip with tools, you will not break down, if you don't, guess what! Now-a-days, you need that Dash and Rear Trunk Camcorder. Too many people driving that should not be driving because of one thing or another.

Once my OCC is installed, Dash and Rear cam is next. I have too much money wrapped up in cars..........................
    Last edited by Chief_10Beers; 04-11-2018 at 08:49 PM.
    TVC15

Model
    2018 Kia Optima S
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_10Beers View Post
    Not if they Hit you and lie about it, you got screwed. Now if you got the goods on them in full HD, you're covered, but in reality if you go on a road trip with tools, you will not break down, if you don't, guess what! Now-a-days, you need that Dash and Rear Trunk Camcorder. Too many people driving that should not be driving because of one thing or another.

Once my OCC is installed, Dash and Rear cam is next. I have too much money wrapped up in cars..........................
    Here in southern California, it doesn't matter anyway, chances are good they don't have a license or insurance.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast