First oil change, what oil is Kia recommending?
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First oil change, what oil is Kia recommending?

Riding Lawn Mower

First oil change, what oil is Kia recommending?

2019 Kia Optima LX 2.4 engine
    I know 5w-20 but what brand and full synthetic or semi synthetic.

I have used Motorcraft 5w-20 semi synthetic oil on my last two new cars with good luck.

I just got a reply from our local kia service department, and they say they use Mobile 1 semi synthetic, but it is user preference as long as the oil meets the specification, which Motorcraft does.
    So they answered my question.
    Last edited by mooney201; 06-19-2019 at 07:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    That's great because oil threads never seem to end.

RTFM? lol
    2012 Optima SX w/ premium touring & tech packages, Corsa Blue, born in the USA Jan 24 2012, bought Feb 11 2012 w/7 miles
    Mods; 15% tint all around, clear bra, dechromed/body color grill, blue brake calipers, plastidip'd emblems, dark tint window vent visors, painted the badge T grass green (T-GDI), Fumoto oil drain valve, yellow tint fogs, mud guards, General Altimax RT43 225/50/18 tires and full size spare
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...20Optima%20SX/

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Let Kia do all oil changes so you have tracked history. On cars that aren't using a ton of synthetic oil, I'd bargain to say you barely save money doing it yourself. My dealership does oil changes for free.

I can almost guarantee my perfect maintenance history at Kia is what let me get a new engine and what has led me to be taken care of a lot from the dealership. Such as brand new wheels at 60k miles (for an SXL), for free.

Lot Attendant
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Well since my dealership (or any of the local dealerships in my area, for that matter) doesn't do free periodic oil changes, I'd bargain to say that I'd be saving a ton of money by doing my own oil changes using high-quality synthetic oil and filter.

Good for you that you have such a wonderful relationship with your local dealer that you can get free oil changes and a free set of wheels out of it.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    I'd like to see the math, because in almost all cases that I've seen, you save barely any and don't save any after indirect costs. Doing it yourself takes time as well which is never accounted for and is probably worth more than the savings per hour it takes you to change your oil.

It is a good peace of mind for this to never happen.

Most people in this thread are saying it is $30 for an oil change at the dealer.

A 5-quart (which I believe is how much is in the Optima) is $23+tax. So you save a like $5, which you have to then spend on the filter. So you actually come out at the same exact price. But then you have to account for time loss of spending your time on it when your time is more valuable spent elsewhere. Now you're losing money.

I understand changing own oil as I did it when I had a car that made sense to do it in (a car that was $90 in oil costs due to displacement size of the engine), but in a normal/average car, just pay the dealership and they can never dispute anything about maintenance.

In the end, you do what you wanna do, but I just figure I show a different perspective because everyone thinks they save a ton of money by not just letting the dealer do it. Then I always see people get screwed because something goes wrong and the dealership says oil wasn't maintained. Yes, you'll have receipts. But receipts don't prove you actually did the work and you still have to fight it, sometimes legally.
    Last edited by Laguna; 06-20-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    I understand that end of the conversation, but I personally change my own oil, so I KNOW it is done right, and the oil I want used is used. Cost wise, it's pretty much a wash - so I don't do it to save money, but I like knowing exactly what was done. I have seen may times where a dealer tech has messed up a car - like not tightening the drain plug and oil is leaking out leaving a line from the dealer to where it stopped. It's personal preference I suppose. In MOST cases, having the oil changed at the dealer is fine. I don't mind spending the 15 minutes to do it myself.

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    Just remember that you can make a mistake too and it won't be covered. Dealer making a mistake means it's covered.

OptimaForums Veteran
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    Just remember that you can make a mistake too and it won't be covered. Dealer making a mistake means it's covered.
    Very rarely would the owner make a mistake changing their own oil. I change mine, 5-30 syn blend + Kia oil filter $14. I do it faster than the dealership and no need to drive to there, wait, have them put the wrong viscosity in the car, plus they usually use dino, which I don't mind, but the synthetic would be quite a bit more and then drive back home.

Years ago the daughter purchased a new Jeep Hemi Grand with a service contract and after receiving a call that the oil change was done, my son in law noticed they never changed the filter as he had marked the outside up near the block. Called the dealership and after some time, the excuse was that they were confused in the service area and thought it had been done.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SXL
    That's why I do my own work. As the owner (and enthusiast at that), I have more attention to detail, and am willing to put the extra time and effort to do it right. It's not just another car I need to get out of the bay before I go home for the day.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast