Don't get me wrong: I LOVE the car...but it NOISY!! %@$&# BAM!! - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't get me wrong: I LOVE the car...but it NOISY!! %@$&# BAM!!

Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScotty View Post
    Please don't hate me because I like quiet pipes on motorcycles....(I've been riding for 50 years)...and don't get all "fan-boy" on me when I say the Optima is a noisy car.

It is.

It's not my "opinion", it's a matter of fact. Reviewers and auto journalists write about it. The car is not well insulated and, as a result, suffers a lot of cabin noise. Has anyone seen that YouTube of the guy who strips EVERY single layer of EVERYTHING out of his Optima....roof panels, door panels, carpet, seats, trunk liner, the whole nine yards.....and you can SEE that there's next to nothing (in the way of sound deadening material) behind any of these surfaces.

When the ceiling is removed, there's one small patch of "puffy paper" (for lack of a better term), per roof panel, the likes of which you would find in the bottom of a Styrofoam tray to catch the blood-drippings from a couple of pork chops from the supermarket.

He (they, actually, it's an entire TEAM of workers) coat the entire interior with exotic-looking "Aero" sound panels before re-assembling, much as you would a home theatre, you know, in your mansion.....and, CRIMINALLY, he doesn't publish before and after decibel readings so that you can appreciate (or not) the results of his labor. (Because TRUST me, that was a shitload of work!) https://youtu.be/0sH0TQ1sYyY

I say all this in a round-about way, to approach two questions:
    1. Has anyone done anything a LITTLE less intense in order to quell the noise in their Optima's cabin?....and

2. Have you ever changed the tires on your Optima, AWAY from the super low-profile format that comes from the factory, in an effort to reduce THAT source of road/cabin noise, because that, too, is a definite contributor. (My treads are almost at that point anyway, so why not!)

Anyone? Anyone? All comments greatly appreciated...because wifey is ready to divorce the car. I have to agree with her, that it's difficult to appreciate the fine stereo system that the car is equipped with, and you can barely make use of the Bluetooth integration to carry on a phone conversation on all but the quietest/smoothest of highways (good luck with THAT on most Canadian roads!)

In a word........help!
    I've done a lot of this as well since then. The 2 largest bang for the bucks was sound absorption pads above the front wheel fender liners (because tires make noise) and Dynamat below the rear seats.

https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/4...ml#post1626282
    Dynojet: 294 whp/305 torque/24lbs boost with a custom BTR tune with full bolt-ons.
    2012 Optima EX-T Spicy Red Showroom https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/4...-showroom.html w/ the following MODs: 845 Motorsports FMIC|845 Motorsports 4" Intake|845 Motorsports Charge Pipe|Nameless Midpipe|Nameless Downpipe|Synapse V3 BOV|BTR Custom Tune|Magnaflow Exhaust|Saikou Michi OCC's|Ultra Racing FSTB|kSport Coilovers|R1 Concepts rotors|and MORE...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX Turbo
    I have a 2014 and I think road noise wise its pretty quiet. However, the pano roof is noisey and its driving me nuts. Constant creaking. All the time. But I think the 2014 doesn't let that much road noise in. Its quieter than a honda accord IMO.

Based out of a Top-Secret bunker in an undisclosed location
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    LX
    I have a 2013 LX, and I lined the inner sides of all the door panels with Dynamat, and put decent tires on (Hankook Kinergy), and that made things Immensely better.
    ZER0

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX with Premium and Tech
    I only have 11,000 miles on my 2018 but plan to upgrade to much better tires when it’s time. I don’t have as much of an issue with road noise or lack of insulation as I do the rattles the interior of my car has — they’re way more annoying than anything else.

I may be alone in this but when I test drove the new Accord last year when comparison shopping, the road noise was louder than the Optima, especially with the sunroof open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12