Outer tie rod ends - easy DIY?
  1. Welcome to Kia Optima Forum – General discussion forum for Kia Optima

Welcome to Kia Optima Forum - a website dedicated to all things Kia Optima.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Kia Optima Forum today!

Thread: Outer tie rod ends - easy DIY?

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-T

Outer tie rod ends - easy DIY?

I am looking to replace my outer tie rod ends (L&R) and while the parts are cheap, I can't find much about the job itself. I've changed these on other vehicles before, but without getting under the Optima I don't know if this is a straight-forward job or should I expect to need to remove a bunch of things to replace the tie rod outer ends?
    The online shop manual leaves a LOT to be desired so I was unable to figure this out using that...

Does anyone have experience doing this job?
    (Yes I'll be getting an alignment afterwards).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Senior Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Just did 2 on ours.
    Break thr lock nut on the inner tie rod that is against the outer tie rod. Turn wheel outward at the back, remove Cutler pin and loosen nut almost all the way off on joint though knuckle. I put a Jack with a wooden spacer under the tie rod end so as upward pressure is exerted on the tie rod, then wack the knuckle. Remove tie rod end and count turns.
    Sorry, I'm in a big hurry to meet my son. Any questions back on later.

Riding Lawn Mower
    Year
    Make
    KIA
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    SX-T
    Thanks Turbonut.
    Sounds like every other tie rod I've done then, and nothing stupid like our rear caliper bracket needing a suspension component to be moved to access it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements

Senior Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    As you've done it before, maybe familiar with procedure, but check the inner tie rod ends also. If they stay in horizontal position OK, but if they are loose and drop, time for a change.

Or......"TIRE ROD ENDS"......as the published KIA Service Schedule calls them! (Check it out under Service #2 on https://www.performancekia.ca/kia-ma...er-bay-ontario.
    • Check brake / tire rods / ball joints (visual inspection)

Priceless! Oh for a reliable, English-speaking translator. (Some good stuff in the manuals, too, but for the most part, those don't see the "light of day". Glove compartment stealth! :-)

Senior Wrench Monkey
    Year
    Make
    Kia
    Model
    Optima
    Trim
    EX-T
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScotty View Post
    Or......"TIRE ROD ENDS"......as the published KIA Service Schedule calls them! (Check it out under Service #2 on https://www.performancekia.ca/kia-ma...er-bay-ontario.
    • Check brake / tire rods / ball joints (visual inspection)

Priceless! Oh for a reliable, English-speaking translator. (Some good stuff in the manuals, too, but for the most part, those don't see the "light of day". Glove compartment stealth! :-)
    Visual inspection-Guess they have x-ray vision at this dealership!
    At least it comes with a free car wash.
    Last edited by Turbonut; 06-12-2019 at 07:35 AM.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Optima Forums
    Advertisements